The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forum Introduction: Musician to (Fastlane?)

ChristianX

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 9, 2019
New York
Hi Everyone!

My name is Christian. I'm a 20 year old musician. I play drums and piano and go to school for music. I've read Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . I'm going to reread them both soon. I'm really wanting to create value for a lot of people and my self as well. My first kind of goal when I got to college was that I wanted to be one of the next greatest jazz drummers. I soon realized after being in school in New York for a year or so, that the touring/gigging jazz musician life is not as glamorous as it looks. I have many mentors who are touring now, but all of them have to tour to keep making money. It is almost similar to a 9-5. They are stuck and pigeon holed and there's not much they can do to get out. They've spent many years training for this 1 job. The same is for classical musicians. They got a bachelors and a masters in music, they are making good money and have more freedom than most. But they can't take time off for long periods of time. Once they stop gigging they don't have any more income. I've been reading a lot of books searching for a way to have freedom of my time and to be able to spend it how I want. I know I want a wife and kids. I want to be active and apart of their lives. Not touring 24/7. I've also been looking into branding and marketing. Growing on social media is a way to gain control over your time. Then I could have the leverage to spend life how I want and then there would be monetization options such as patreon, a book, online course. I would just need to build up the followers. I'm working on this now. Putting out consistent content. I started in August. Mainly doing big music videos, but now I'm focusing on the small videos as well. Doing well produced videos have paid off enormously but it takes up too much of my time. I'm working on a budget and can't afford to outsource video editing. It seems that being consistent with smaller less produced videos can produce the same result. I'm also here looking for a Fastlane idea. I want to get the freedom/money situation figured out in the next 2 years, before I graduate. So I'm kind of here looking for ideas and I'm willing to try anything. I also am looking for short term money options that I could put back into ads for the music videos. I'm looking at all my options and am choosing the best one. Music isn't my passion, it's just something that I'm really good at, and that I've worked very hard at. So just getting into the Fastlane would allow me to do music when I feel like it. I can live life however I want. I want to be able to help my friends live their lives in the fast lane too! I'm looking forward to becoming apart of the community here!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

patcastle

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 16, 2017
Switzerland
Hi Christian, welcome to the forum! I’m also a musician and on the same boat. Would be awesome to collab in the space and on our way to fast lane :)

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Hey Christian, I'm a musician too, nice to see you!

If you want to make money from making music... I'm yet to see an effective model for that. Nearly all the "music marketing gurus" are, to be blunt, full of shit.

Online courses could work, patreon would depend on what you do. I've seen some musicians make $50 and others make $3000/mo on Patreon... both with serious amounts of work. It doesn't seem like an effective monetisation option from what I've seen.

Short term money - teach locally. Put the word out with people you know, try some door to door flyers (expect to put out at least 5000 for flyers to be effective), make a website and get listed on Google Maps. It is possible to build a decent income from a music school if you want to go that route.

Music videos can be expensive to make, so if you are going to go that route, plan out the business case for it first.

ChristianX

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 9, 2019
New York
Hey Christian, I'm a musician too, nice to see you!

If you want to make money from making music... I'm yet to see an effective model for that. Nearly all the "music marketing gurus" are, to be blunt, full of shit.

Online courses could work, patreon would depend on what you do. I've seen some musicians make $50 and others make $3000/mo on Patreon... both with serious amounts of work. It doesn't seem like an effective monetisation option from what I've seen.

Short term money - teach locally. Put the word out with people you know, try some door to door flyers (expect to put out at least 5000 for flyers to be effective), make a website and get listed on Google Maps. It is possible to build a decent income from a music school if you want to go that route.

Music videos can be expensive to make, so if you are going to go that route, plan out the business case for it first.

Hey Sam, thanks for posting! I agree the music marketing gurus are pretty bad. In my opinion, Music now a days has a low cost and skill of entry and now a bunch of people have saturated the market. As far as music videos go, I handle everything in house with a few friends. Bought a camera for like $600 and we record everything ourselves. Edit everything ourselves. It really didn’t cost a lot except for buying the camera. No reccuring costs. Just consumes a lot of my time. I like what you said about short term money options with music. I’m down to look for options outside of music too! I’m staying in nyc over the summer. I also can gig around. I just want to make sure that I’m building my own business on the side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChristianX

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 9, 2019
New York
Hi Christian, welcome to the forum! I’m also a musician and on the same boat. Would be awesome to collab in the space and on our way to fast lane :)

Hi Pat, thank you for responding! Hopefully we can make a small community of musicians in the forum. I feel like musicians need the most help especially with almost everybody going to Spotify and feeling happy to gain $0.001 per stream. I am down to collaborate in music and on our way to the fast lane!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...