The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For When People Tell You To Get A Steady Job ...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Parents. Relatives. Friends. Family. Co-workers ...

Tell anyone of your entrepreneurial ventures and they'll tell you you're crazy. It's risky. A job is steady. Safe. Secure. Be like us. Join us. Be safe. You have responsibilities. Now there's a website dedicated to showing just how "safe" and "secure" their job really is.

Will Robots Take My job?

:clench:

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 7.13.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 7.14.16 AM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
I love to have a "safe and secure" job ... to which I can go back to whenever I want... but until then I will try something different! :cool:

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Parents. Relatives. Friends. Family. Co-workers ...

Tell anyone of your entrepreneurial ventures and they'll tell you you're crazy. It's risky. A job is steady. Safe. Secure. Be like us. Join us. Be safe. You have responsibilities. Now there's a website dedicated to showing just how "safe" and "secure" their job really is.

Will Robots Take My job?

:clench:

View attachment 15138 View attachment 15139

I don't think anyone in my group of family or friends ever told me a job was safe or secure (often the opposite), but rather that it was only the path and you need to be ready (additional schooling, networking, job training, etc.) to make the jump. Even relatives who owned their own businesses were quick to route me to a career path.

I worry that some folks on here read a post like this and say "job are for suckers - time to pack my bags for Thailand and blow-up my old life and live off the internet!!11!!". And I'm not being hyperbolic.

If you have a job that's supporting your fastlane goals, or maybe you're learning from someone before launching on your own - then a "slowlane" job is fine so long as it's temporary. Just don't get sucked in. Don't get comfortable. I don't want to speak for MJ but after reading TMF a few times I'd say that the slowlane is just as much about mindset as your actual employment.

My job allows me to pursue my dream of entrepreneurship while taking care of my responsibilities. I just get up at 4:30 and go to bed at 10 to get there. If you're out there reading this and you're 18, maybe it doesn't apply. If so, I'm glad you found TMF early and maybe you can skip the 9-5 completely.

Lex - you've no doubt launched more ships than I have with your excellent posts, but I think there's a way to look at the slowlane, take what you need from it, and then go.

Respectfully,
-PM

P.S. - and in my line of work, I watch additional robots being purchased for work all the time, mostly for fine motor skill tasks as even the steadiest human hands are too shaky. It's a good reminder of my (jobs) mortality.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't think anyone in my group of family or friends ever told me a job was safe or secure (often the opposite), but rather that it was only the path and you need to be ready (additional schooling, networking, job training, etc.) to make the jump. Even relatives who owned their own businesses were quick to route me to a career path.

I worry that some folks on here read a post like this and say "job are for suckers - time to pack my bags for Thailand and blow-up my old life and live off the internet!!11!!". And I'm not being hyperbolic.

If you have a job that's supporting your fastlane goals, or maybe you're learning from someone before launching on your own - then a "slowlane" job is fine so long as it's temporary. Just don't get sucked in. Don't get comfortable. I don't want to speak for MJ but after reading TMF a few times I'd say that the slowlane is just as much about mindset as your actual employment.

My job allows me to pursue my dream of entrepreneurship while taking care of my responsibilities. I just get up at 4:30 and go to bed at 10 to get there. If you're out there reading this and you're 18, maybe it doesn't apply. If so, I'm glad you found TMF early and maybe you can skip the 9-5 completely.

Lex - you've no doubt launched more ships than I have with your excellent posts, but I think there's a way to look at the slowlane, take what you need from it, and then go.

Respectfully,
-PM

P.S. - and in my line of work, I watch additional robots being purchased for work all the time, mostly for fine motor skill tasks as even the steadiest human hands are too shaky. It's a good reminder of my (jobs) mortality.

I'm not at all suggesting someone shouldn't get a job if they need a way to support their fastlane goals. Just that they're not any more stable, secure, or immune to the future than building a business.

Ultimately, artificial intelligence will replace all jobs and virtually all tasks done by humans, so this post could just as easily be about the insecurity of believing a business is the only safe way to go.

Job. Business. Nobody is ever truly safe. So long as there's food on the table and a roof over our head, might as well do what we wanna do, how we want to do it .. especially if there's a chance it'll lead to the place(s) we eventually hope to go.

Really I just wanted a reason to share that website because I think it's cool. Framing it in a way most forum members can relate to is just a perk (that's why I posted in off-topic). ;)

I totally agree with "take what you need from it" -- wisdom -- use what works!

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

Ultimately, artificial intelligence will replace all jobs and virtually all tasks done by humans, so this post could just as easily be about the insecurity of believing a business is the only safe way to go.

yes there is a high probability that our civilization fails before 2050.

that's ok. i am a survivalist.

at least, i will have lived 40 years in comfort before becoming a caveman

caveman.jpg

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Safe, secure jobs are dead in the private sector.

I'm a very young millennial. All my friends from school have just finished university. Almost none of them have permanent positions with benefits. They're almost all under contract, 0 union protection, no benefits, no vacation time, 6 month to 2 year contracts that *might* be extended if they're really really good; otherwise, they're just replaced by the next crop of fresh meat. Pretty much only people I know who have 'secure' positions are in healthcare.

What the hell is a safe secure job? If you've got an in need skillset they say you're gold but you're really not if you can't get clients. These days, having a 'job' is just being a contractor serving a single big client.

Job hopping is the way to go if you want (1) higher pay, (2) greater breadth of experience, (3) a larger network. So the scripted media (Forbes, Business Week, Bloomberg) don't even recommend going for a 'lifer' position anymore, allowing companies to justify their employment bullshit.

This is everything that's happening BEFORE automation. This is shit that's been going on since the late 80s according to news articles. It's getting worse and automation won't make it better.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Safe, secure jobs are dead in the private sector.

I'm a very young millennial. All my friends from school have just finished university. Almost none of them have permanent positions with benefits. They're almost all under contract, 0 union protection, no benefits, no vacation time, 6 month to 2 year contracts that *might* be extended if they're really really good; otherwise, they're just replaced by the next crop of fresh meat. Pretty much only people I know who have 'secure' positions are in healthcare.

What the hell is a safe secure job? If you've got an in need skillset they say you're gold but you're really not if you can't get clients. These days, having a 'job' is just being a contractor serving a single big client.

Job hopping is the way to go if you want (1) higher pay, (2) greater breadth of experience, (3) a larger network. So the scripted media (Forbes, Business Week, Bloomberg) don't even recommend going for a 'lifer' position anymore, allowing companies to justify their employment bullshit.

This is everything that's happening BEFORE automation. This is shit that's been going on since the late 80s according to news articles. It's getting worse and automation won't make it better.
So there is no calm before the storm, eh? :)
Even worse, automation might not even need a lot of engineers or programmers to maintain or create it.
What used to have whole teams creating ecommerce companies, have dwindled down to just a handful of people, enough to fill a typical college room.
I am suspecting that you can have automation create better automations....Matrix style. Then jobs as we know it will be doomed.

Yup, the SCRIPT also talks lots on freelancing too. Very job-hoppish, but good range and flexibility. I'm not surprised that TFLF allocated a whole slot for freelancing too, if you haven't noticed!

But IMO, even the healthcare positions might not be too secure either. The medical line is more receptive to technological advancements, as the demand for drugs and more advanced treatments rise which the present skill force might not be able to withstand, so the employment fight might get fiercer there.

I think it was MJ who said that the moment you graduate, your degree is obsolete. Or worse in UNSCRIPTED ...YOUR DEGREE ENTITLES YOU TO NOTHING.

AlexFS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 20, 2018
Time to change careers and become a recreational therapist :D one second thought how would that not be automated by AI advisors.. I'm sure they can make the most viable statistically sound suggestion based on other patient data. Time to get to work :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.