The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For the closing stores!!

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
I've seen and been told that at least in my locality when a store or shop closes the stock of products which rests in it is sold off to other shopkeepers or sent back to the owner but this involves too much lowering of price than actual prices and sometimes owner has to suffer a loss. For instance there was a fireworks shop nearby which when winding up had no option but to distribute all the fireworks for free. It didn't make any sense to me. Why won't owners who are winding up simply put up their stock on an e-commerce website and same price with which they were supposed to sell? I might be missing any point or operation. Would be great if anyone could tell why this doesn't happen and would this work!?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I've seen and been told that at least in my locality when a store or shop closes the stock of products which rests in it is sold off to other shopkeepers or sent back to the owner but this involves too much lowering of price than actual prices and sometimes owner has to suffer a loss. For instance there was a fireworks shop nearby which when winding up had no option but to distribute all the fireworks for free. It didn't make any sense to me. Why won't owners who are winding up simply put up their stock on an e-commerce website and same price with which they were supposed to sell? I might be missing any point or operation. Would be great if anyone could tell why this doesn't happen and would this work!?
Have you ever had a big dream totally fail? People in that situation do NOT make good decisions. You're in the position of arm-chair critic. You can see what the guy in the fight cannot see. Now that I've said that...
This is an example of why the owners need an "if-then" plan. If ______ happens, I do __________. That way when you and/or your business is under stress, you have already chosen a knee-jerk reaction. You don't have to think when you are under that pressure.
And you can take this preplanning to a step-by-step track to run on. You can make if-then decisions in your business for different situations. The way that this works is to set benchmarks. By tracking the normal ebbs and flows in the business, the owner can decide at which points they should make meaningful changes. And then do it, no matter how much it hurts.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Have you ever had a big dream totally fail? People in that situation do NOT make good decisions. You're in the position of arm-chair critic. You can see what the guy in the fight cannot see. Now that I've said that...
This is an example of why the owners need an "if-then" plan. If ______ happens, I do __________. That way when you and/or your business is under stress, you have already chosen a knee-jerk reaction. You don't have to think when you are under that pressure.
And you can take this preplanning to a step-by-step track to run on. You can make if-then decisions in your business for different situations. The way that this works is to set benchmarks. By tracking the normal ebbs and flows in the business, the owner can decide at which points they should make meaningful changes. And then do it, no matter how much it hurts.
So the point is they lack initial planning that if their shop closes due to some reason, what will they do. At this point their brain is numb. So can't I take an opportunity here to help them and create a website for these closing owners where they can put up their stock online and every item they sell online, it's money solely goes to them. This way consumers would get cheaper product and owners would not suffer huge losses?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So the point is they lack initial planning that if their shop closes due to some reason, what will they do. At this point their brain is numb. So can't I take an opportunity here to help them and create a website for these closing owners where they can put up their stock online and every item they sell online, it's money solely goes to them. This way consumers would get cheaper product and owners would not suffer huge losses?
That is the point. How are you going to contact them? How you can become the expert and the go-to guy for the troubled store? Yes, you must create a safety net that works for the store owner. You must also be very good at holding their hand in a heartbreaking situation. Your biggest problem will be their unknowledgeable advisors -- mom, dad, brother, best friend... So, I would start small where I am and create a sphere of influence. Talk to everyone around you and explain your mission. Talk about helping failing businesses out of their mess. DO NOT talk about your point of view. They don't care. As long as you are fair and honest with them, you can lead them through the process and get paid for your efforts.

Edit... What if you could pay them cash for their inventory and put it online and/or sell it to other stores?

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
That is the point. How are you going to contact them? How you can become the expert and the go-to guy for the troubled store? Yes, you must create a safety net that works for the store owner. You must also be very good at holding their hand in a heartbreaking situation. Your biggest problem will be their unknowledgeable advisors -- mom, dad, brother, best friend... So, I would start small where I am and create a sphere of influence. Talk to everyone around you and explain your mission. Talk about helping failing businesses out of their mess. DO NOT talk about your point of view. They don't care. As long as you are fair and honest with them, you can lead them through the process and get paid for your efforts.

Edit... What if you could pay them cash for their inventory and put it online and/or sell it to other stores?
I was thinking that it's me whose accepting their inventory and putting it online at not that filthy cheap prices on which they would have been selling it off. So they would pay me a small fee for putting up their inventory online giving them every penny from selling that stock and avoiding them huge losses. And the former point u said was absolutely correct, I was also thinking that, and I think that " I help stores that wind up" tag would help in that. When the market would observe that their fellow ones did get help properly they r gonna develop trust automatically. This was as I said consumer would get fresh products at cheap prices I'll earn through my site and that fee and vendors won't suffer huge losses!

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I was thinking that it's me whose accepting their inventory and putting it online at not that filthy cheap prices on which they would have been selling it off. So they would pay me a small fee for putting up their inventory online giving them every penny from selling that stock and avoiding them huge losses. And the former point u said was absolutely correct, I was also thinking that, and I think that " I help stores that wind up" tag would help in that. When the market would observe that their fellow ones did get help properly they r gonna develop trust automatically. This was as I said consumer would get fresh products at cheap prices I'll earn through my site and that fee and vendors won't suffer huge losses!
Some might agree, but you definitely need storage space yourself.

Here in London, I see “ CLOSING DOWN” shops all the time. Guess what. They are still there 1 year after :rofl::rofl:

“Closing down Sale”
“120% discounts”

At this point you become numb when you see them.Most have cheaply made imported clothes anyway.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Some might agree, but you definitely need storage space yourself.

Here in London, I see “ CLOSING DOWN” shops all the time. Guess what. They are still there 1 year after :rofl::rofl:

“Closing down Sale”
“120% discounts”

At this point you become numb when you see them.Most have cheaply made imported clothes anyway.
Yeah makes sense. Storing would be hard, I thought about it. Even if I get their inventory up on my site where would I store it.

Last edited:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Yeah makes sense. Storing would be hard, I thought about it. Even if I get their inventory up on my site where would I store it.
Well, that could be included in the price and usually paid for at the cost of a sale of two. ( storage solutions around the city)

Every idea will have its own shortcomings so one way or another you have to come up with solutions.

Also, unless you have a large following in the desired niche, how do you plan to drive traffic? Paid ads? Who’s going to pay for them?

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Also, unless you have a large following in the desired niche, how do you plan to drive traffic? Paid ads? Who’s going to pay for them?
Well for that, I have a thing in my mind, yesterday I was reading a thread on the forum which was a brilliant thread, here have a look:-

May be this way I'll be able to drive some traffic and as mentioned there I can pay for the advertising with money in hand. Going to be a long process but u gotta commit.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Well for that, I have a thing in my mind, yesterday I was reading a thread on the forum which was a brilliant thread, here have a look:-

May e this way I'll be able to drive some traffic and as mentioned there I can pay for the advertising with money in hand.
Well, OP noted you need 2 years :)

Have you started yet?

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Well, OP noted you need 2 years :)

Have you started yet?
Well no, I am currently in 11th grade and I am gonna try to work upon it. Just wanted to know that if this idea could work or am I missing something.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Focus on building a following :)
Any project you’ll have after then you’ll have people to show it to.

God, I wish I’d started in 11th grade.

For your reference, I’m 25.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Focus on building a following :)
Any project you’ll have after then you’ll have people to show it to.

God, I wish I’d started in 11th grade.

For your reference, I’m 25.
To be totally honest with you. Here in India being in 11th and 12th grade is like being in a race. We have an entrance here called JEE, which is given by around 2000000 students and only 10000 of em go into the IIT(best colleges in India) and as you might have guessed I'm in that race too. Studying my a$$ off to make it there. I tried a website with my friends last year which didn't work out due to our poor execution and advertising. The problem- we couldn't get time out of that race. So it might sound stupid but at this point I am just collecting ideas to work upon them on future but that doesn't mean I won't start in 11th grade. I usually study at midnight so that in the day I can focus on these things. When I get ideas or think about startups it fascinates me, in my mind I become like a kid who desperately wants that ice cream(starting up) but then I have this evil uncle(academics) of mine who holds me back. The point is I am trying.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.