The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flipping Apartments in Spain

Robbi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 18, 2020
Hey All,

Having been hanging out in Spain for some months now (my better half is from here), I have been thinking about various value creating projects I could do from here. Occasionally, there are apartments that come up for sale at very good prices - the kind of money I could pay off entirely. Granted, all of these bargain apartments will require work. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and enjoy a certain amount of this kind of work and refurbishment - one of my favourite value creating schemes is buying musical/audio equipment cheap comparative to the market, fixing up/cleaning up, and selling for profit. It works well because music is a hobby of mine and I usually learn something in the process. This isn't something I've been able to undertake while in Spain for various reasons (lack of space/tools to clean and repair; no method of transport here (yet)).

My question is; while I understand this is quite a step up from pro audio equipment/instruments in terms of paperwork, planning, taxes etc., is there any reason I shouldn't step up my game here in Spain? Has anyone else had experience doing something similar? Capital gains taxes etc.?

For reference, I'm from the UK - the property market seems very different here (not that I have any experience in the UK market outside of family and friends). Also, I understand there are many variables in turning a profit - location, demographic of area etc. My girlfriends parent's are architects, and could recommend certain professionals when required, although I don't believe they would be comfortable with me hiring them directly (working with immediate family for them is a no-no). Currently, I'm in the process of obtaining residency in Spain.

Part of the reason for considering flipping is as a hedge against inflation, the thinking being that it's better to hold a tangible asset rather than cash, and the buying of materials now (potentially on credit), would work out better in the long run. Is this logic sound?

Words of wisdom/warning would be appreciated; house flipping advice is all good. The prospect is slightly scary, but maybe that's a good thing?

Cheers,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Hire a consultant that's already doing what you want to do, join FB groups for expats and ask for references etc.

I am not familiar with the market and not sure about the business model.

ragnarcallan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Mar 25, 2020
London
From what I've experienced in Spain, the Government has a fixed range which you can charge for properties. Meaning it has to be between x euros and x euros (I think based off of the square metres) . Which part of Spain are you based in? I have a few contacts in the industry in Catalonia that might be able to help you out

Robbi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 18, 2020
From what I've experienced in Spain, the Government has a fixed range which you can charge for properties. Meaning it has to be between x euros and x euros (I think based off of the square metres) . Which part of Spain are you based in? I have a few contacts in the industry in Catalonia that might be able to help you out
Cheers--that's a good piece on info to dig into.

I'm in the Valencia region, down the road--maybe there are similarities in the areas (Spain, so you never know!).

Thanks,

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.