The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Flappy Bird: Hit N Run (Hes taking it down)

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I am "pre-selling" a iPad, iPhone 5 and iPod touch, all with Flappy bird for a sum of $7,500. Going to buy the phones from the people who own them and then invest the remaining $6,000 after cost into business :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
I love your initiative of trying to score quickly on this fad, but I did a deeper search of closed auctions with iphones having flappy bird on them, and I'm starting to suspect that the outrageous final bids are all shill bids. For every one phone that sells for 2k, there's 15 others that didn't get a single bid at 1500, or 1000 for that matter. I would tread very lightly if I were you. I've been burnt on things like this before(furbies, records, presale t shirts...the list is kind of too painful to revisit entirely) , and just wanted to share my wisdom and experience before you are stuck over paying for an iphone and ipad that you will lose money on when you have to liquidate to the secondary market and lose some money, let alone profits, on the seller fees.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013

friday-damn-o.gif

Please tell me this is a joke and someone didn't really spend $10,000 on an iPhone with slight water damage just because of this game.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
The funny thing is , he didn't take down his other games which are also in the Top 20 Free on the App Store.. Strange indeed

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
maybe that was the trick all along. get some publicity from a game that violates some protected content and then use that to boost your other games. bands have been doing this for years with cover songs as their first hit. the world could have possibly been free and clear of the musical herpes that was Limp Bizkit if they hadn't garnered some success by covering "faith" by george Michaels

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
maybe that was the trick all along. get some publicity from a game that violates some protected content and then use that to boost your other games. bands have been doing this for years with cover songs as their first hit. the world could have possibly been free and clear of the musical herpes that was Limp Bizkit if they hadn't garnered some success by covering "faith" by george Michaels

Nintendo denies any kind of action against Flappy Bird though.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
conversation that just occurred moments ago between my two teen daughters.

"Dude. Flappy birds is down"
"Yea, I can't believe it."
"Why did he take it down?"
"I heard he was getting a bunch of hate mail."
"But, look. Here is Flappy Bees."

:)

DreamMachine

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
He's still making the $50k/day.

Revenue is from ad impressions and so long as people keep playing the game, he keeps getting paid. Taking it off the store simply means that nobody can install the game from scratch.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
He's still making the $50k/day.

Revenue is from ad impressions and so long as people keep playing the game, he keeps getting paid. Taking it off the store simply means that nobody can install the game from scratch.

Although I don't think he was making $50k a day from ads in the first place, he would not be making nearly as much with the game out of the store. Having his app ranked number 1 gave him a tremendous amount of new users every day so he can never have as many people playing now that the game is deleted.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I love your initiative of trying to score quickly on this fad, but I did a deeper search of closed auctions with iphones having flappy bird on them, and I'm starting to suspect that the outrageous final bids are all shill bids. For every one phone that sells for 2k, there's 15 others that didn't get a single bid at 1500, or 1000 for that matter. I would tread very lightly if I were you. I've been burnt on things like this before(furbies, records, presale t shirts...the list is kind of too painful to revisit entirely) , and just wanted to share my wisdom and experience before you are stuck over paying for an iphone and ipad that you will lose money on when you have to liquidate to the secondary market and lose some money, let alone profits, on the seller fees.

Yeah I decided to dump the idea after putting up a fake listing. I was going to wait until it sold and then buy my sisters phone. I started getting bids but then eBay took it off saying it violated owners copyrights of 3rd party applications. Oh well. 5-10 mins invested at work, no money. No loss lol.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-flappy-birds-shut-down-2014-2

Seems like he really couldn't take the negative feedback from people. I can only imagine thousands of people telling them they ruined his life.

He should read TMF and realize those are just sidewalkers blaming others for their own inability :) Matter of fact I'll buy him a copy.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Yes... thanks for this.

He talks about the use of his "name" quite a bit.

I wonder if it is a cultural thing. I don't know Vietnamese culture, but there are some cultures in
which it isn't acceptable to seek or receive individual attention. Also, in some cultures your name
your family name / respect of your ancestors is paramount.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Are these people serious...

Reminds me of the twinkies getting pulled off the market. People selling truck loads of twinkies for $20k. People bid on them just to say they were a part of it but no one actually bought them.

I believe anyone with the game could upload the file to the internet and make it available to everyone to download once again - all for free.

EDIT:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-get-round-ban-install-flappy-bird-on-iphone-3501412/

Last edited:

perdanny

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 12, 2013
Sick, was about to reskin the game but instead tried to push some ideas with a friend about making kids apps, seems like the guy is too lazy i'm after 11 hours of work and he done close to nothing and expect me to do the rest of the job, not exactly the right place but had to share :)

gdup3784

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 22, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
Sick, was about to reskin the game but instead tried to push some ideas with a friend about making kids apps, seems like the guy is too lazy i'm after 11 hours of work and he done close to nothing and expect me to do the rest of the job, not exactly the right place but had to share :)

d5694eff1c7b235f16b37e217a5f3644.jpg

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
I don't buy the producer of Flappy Bird could not take the attention. We are looking at this situation from our own perspective, not his.

Isn't Vietnam still a Communist country? So if this guy was bringing in 50k a day, how much would he be able to keep? Maybe if you are making 1k a day amongst several games you can hide your profits. Making money slowly could have given this guy the time to set up offshore bank accounts. But what happens when you are making 50k a day overnight and your name appears on national news outlets and you live in a communist country?

Maybe some government officials started wondering where all the money was. Maybe everyone in the entire country found out this guy was loaded and started putting pressure on him to pony up. Mafia? Who knows.

Everything tells me this guy is a real entrepreneur and would have loved to push his game to 100k a day. But he never anticipated in his wildest dreams that too much success was something to plan for too.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
But what happens when you are making 50k a day overnight and your name appears on national news outlets and you live in a communist country?

Never thought of it from that angle. I've been in countries where socio-political factors can make or break you. Mostly break. And mostly Kneecaps, lol.

Could very well be the case. I doubt this is the last we'll hear of this guy.

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Could it be that he really does just want his simple life back? It's like with a girl that you want to notice you. Once she ends up talking to you and begins to feel attraction, you're like - ok, validation confirmed, don't want her anymore.

Sounds like a bad example, but people MUST have felt the same way with success.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Could it be that he really does just want his simple life back? It's like with a girl that you want to notice you. Once she ends up talking to you and begins to feel attraction, you're like - ok, validation confirmed, don't want her anymore.

Sounds like a bad example, but people MUST have felt the same way with success.

I quite like that analogy!

Vespasian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Oct 4, 2013
Ca-Ching! Money in tha bank!

VxoMvPd.jpg

Just had to quote myself and post an update:
zxq2YZc.png

#1 has been released 2 days ago.
You can have a clone coded for less than 1k USD in one working day. Just outsource it.
Most developers that are riding the Flappy Bird wave are a one-man-army and I bet that a lot of people on this forum have better marketing skills than them.

Stuff like this happens all the time, this is just an extreme example due to the minimalistic gamedesign.
Clever entrepreneurs will learn from this and will be banking the next time a trend like this emerges.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.