The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness / Activity trackers. Your thoughts? Recommendations?

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Hi guys,

I have been thinking about tracking my activity level + my sleep recently. I researched the whole topic. I am fully aware that those devices are giving approximation at best. But I have been slacking recently, and I have been thinking of using a tracker.

And that made me curious. What do you all think of those? do you use them? do you find them useful? which one do you use?

for the life of me, I can't find a minimalist one that tracks what I want to track with good reviews. I am not interested in the smartwatch features, am connected enough. I was looking for a slim, discreet band and it is falling short. Don't know if it is the tech or the demand, but a potential opportunity for a business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I had the Fitbit Charge 3. Stopped working after ~1.5 years but I really loved it while it lasted.

Ergonomic. Slim. Discrete. Not in-your-face with a billion features. Heart rate tracker. Several exercise tracking options for running, cycling, lifting, etc. Solid battery life. Pretty affordable too.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I think being obsessive about how many steps you take or whatever is a waste of time. Just stick with your routine and normal sleep schedule, to the point it becomes automatic.

My own routines are simple, 3x a week I need to do pushups, pullups, running etc. Nothing to crazy & usually goto bed every night from 1-2am.

But if you insist, a piece of paper and pencil does wonders, or a notepad on your PC

Tom J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 7, 2020
South Island of New Zealand
Hello,

Personally, I never have and never will buy any fitness trackers. Not only do 'top-brands' cost a fair bit but I don't see the point in them.

To be honest, I view them as more of a waste and distraction; if you are truly serious about getting into better shape, you do not need a fitness tracker. The value they add is minimal - at the end of the day YOU are the one that decides to exercise and work-out, the fitness tracker will not do that for you.

Sure, it might give you some detailed statistics. Sure, it might give you your heart rate. Sure, it might track your sleep. But how much value does this information give you? What are you going to do with this information to improve yourself? As someone else here said, I don't think you should obsess yourself over statistics and how much steps you've taken - it's just a distraction.

Don't take what we see for granted, you need to look at both sides of the story and decide for yourself what you think is best for you.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
I personally love my Garmin Fenix 6x. It cost an arm and a leg, but it's the most amazing travel companion, especially if you like going off-grid. It also single-handedly got me into running, which I absolutely hated before.

daniel brannum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 29, 2020
Canada
I have bought a couple of fitness trackers over these years but none seems to be accurate. I have recently heard about this aura ring which I am going to try out next. Will let you know how it is.

Juke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 23, 2019
United Kingdom
I have a love-hate relationship with fitness trackers. I’ve owned a Fitbit Charge 2 and a Garmin Forerunner. My motivation levels and therefore activity definitely increase while using each device. I found the Garmin coach feature help me get into a good running routine/training schedule as I know little about this myself.

Someone once said “what gets measured gets done” and I do feel that holds some truth with these devices - especially when gyms and clubs are closed and you are reliant on your own discipline to workout at home alone.

On the flip side, I don’t like the idea of being reliant on such devices and apps to keep me motivated (maybe that is just my ego talking!).

If you have a lot of intrinsic motivation and are extremely in tune with your body or have a personal trainer then you probably don’t need one. For everyone else then I think they can be a good source of motivation and guidance to help keep you fit and healthy. Just don’t expect to be able to outsource all aspects of your health to the technology (not yet anyway!).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.