Hi everyone,
These business ideas were selected by myself since I have a M-F 9-5, so these would be done on weeknights or weekends.
I am trying to get together an idea for a first business and have decided on the following business models, but I'm having a hard time choosing one, so any advice is very appreciated.
Here are my business model ideas:
1) Consumer technology solutions-- installing, supporting, upgrading, troubleshooting and maintaining at home/small office technology
I have a wide background in supporting technology and I would like to be able to use it in a business setting, if possible. My idea for this business would essentially be all things tech related used at home -- whether for consumer or work from home use. I'm thinking things like smart device installation (including smart appliances), computer/laptop troubleshooting/installation, slow internet analysis (with possibility of pitching Wi-Fi extenders as an additional sale), setting up internet quality of service (so all the employees working from home aren't bogged down by their kids watching Netflix or playing online games) etc.
2) Web design
Not sure on this one as I haven't done enough research on where manual web design will be moving forward in the future, though this option does interest me the most since the flexibility of working from anywhere, anytime, and also charging monthly maintenance fees is a nice ongoing cashflow. Honestly this option seems like it would be the most saturated, however.
3) Pressure washing or a similiar service job such as house cleanings
Pressure washing seems like a low barrier to entry, however, it seems like around here it would only really be useful for 4 or 5 months out of the year, on top of being the most expensive to start out of these 3 options. I could also see a decent business outlook for maid services/house cleaning. However, additional services, such as seasonal gutter cleanings, possibility of snow removal (with a snow plow), etc seems to make this business (a pressure washing business) much more expandable. Being a more manual labor job, this also would allow me to have a part-time or full-time employee doing a lot of work for me during the week, while I handle administrative during week nights and working the business myself on the weekends.
I think that the consumer technology idea would be the best for myself, as it can be done year round, however, the demand for it may not be nearly as high as I'm thinking. Consumer tech may also be the best choice for me as right now I'm supporting myself and need the safety of a 9-5 until I have some more stability in my life. Overall, this is my first business which will only be part time, so I'm trying to pull the trigger on one of these ideas and get the ball rolling.
These business ideas were selected by myself since I have a M-F 9-5, so these would be done on weeknights or weekends.
I am trying to get together an idea for a first business and have decided on the following business models, but I'm having a hard time choosing one, so any advice is very appreciated.
Here are my business model ideas:
1) Consumer technology solutions-- installing, supporting, upgrading, troubleshooting and maintaining at home/small office technology
I have a wide background in supporting technology and I would like to be able to use it in a business setting, if possible. My idea for this business would essentially be all things tech related used at home -- whether for consumer or work from home use. I'm thinking things like smart device installation (including smart appliances), computer/laptop troubleshooting/installation, slow internet analysis (with possibility of pitching Wi-Fi extenders as an additional sale), setting up internet quality of service (so all the employees working from home aren't bogged down by their kids watching Netflix or playing online games) etc.
2) Web design
Not sure on this one as I haven't done enough research on where manual web design will be moving forward in the future, though this option does interest me the most since the flexibility of working from anywhere, anytime, and also charging monthly maintenance fees is a nice ongoing cashflow. Honestly this option seems like it would be the most saturated, however.
3) Pressure washing or a similiar service job such as house cleanings
Pressure washing seems like a low barrier to entry, however, it seems like around here it would only really be useful for 4 or 5 months out of the year, on top of being the most expensive to start out of these 3 options. I could also see a decent business outlook for maid services/house cleaning. However, additional services, such as seasonal gutter cleanings, possibility of snow removal (with a snow plow), etc seems to make this business (a pressure washing business) much more expandable. Being a more manual labor job, this also would allow me to have a part-time or full-time employee doing a lot of work for me during the week, while I handle administrative during week nights and working the business myself on the weekends.
I think that the consumer technology idea would be the best for myself, as it can be done year round, however, the demand for it may not be nearly as high as I'm thinking. Consumer tech may also be the best choice for me as right now I'm supporting myself and need the safety of a 9-5 until I have some more stability in my life. Overall, this is my first business which will only be part time, so I'm trying to pull the trigger on one of these ideas and get the ball rolling.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
