The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First business idea -- consumer technology, web design, or pressure washing?

Idea threads

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Hi everyone,
These business ideas were selected by myself since I have a M-F 9-5, so these would be done on weeknights or weekends.
I am trying to get together an idea for a first business and have decided on the following business models, but I'm having a hard time choosing one, so any advice is very appreciated.

Here are my business model ideas:
1) Consumer technology solutions-- installing, supporting, upgrading, troubleshooting and maintaining at home/small office technology
I have a wide background in supporting technology and I would like to be able to use it in a business setting, if possible. My idea for this business would essentially be all things tech related used at home -- whether for consumer or work from home use. I'm thinking things like smart device installation (including smart appliances), computer/laptop troubleshooting/installation, slow internet analysis (with possibility of pitching Wi-Fi extenders as an additional sale), setting up internet quality of service (so all the employees working from home aren't bogged down by their kids watching Netflix or playing online games) etc.

2) Web design
Not sure on this one as I haven't done enough research on where manual web design will be moving forward in the future, though this option does interest me the most since the flexibility of working from anywhere, anytime, and also charging monthly maintenance fees is a nice ongoing cashflow. Honestly this option seems like it would be the most saturated, however.

3) Pressure washing or a similiar service job such as house cleanings
Pressure washing seems like a low barrier to entry, however, it seems like around here it would only really be useful for 4 or 5 months out of the year, on top of being the most expensive to start out of these 3 options. I could also see a decent business outlook for maid services/house cleaning. However, additional services, such as seasonal gutter cleanings, possibility of snow removal (with a snow plow), etc seems to make this business (a pressure washing business) much more expandable. Being a more manual labor job, this also would allow me to have a part-time or full-time employee doing a lot of work for me during the week, while I handle administrative during week nights and working the business myself on the weekends.

I think that the consumer technology idea would be the best for myself, as it can be done year round, however, the demand for it may not be nearly as high as I'm thinking. Consumer tech may also be the best choice for me as right now I'm supporting myself and need the safety of a 9-5 until I have some more stability in my life. Overall, this is my first business which will only be part time, so I'm trying to pull the trigger on one of these ideas and get the ball rolling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Out of those 3, I would go with the pressure washing business.

It's profitable, and don't let the 4-5 month season discourage you. There's always upsell potential when it comes to home maintenance businesses like power washing (after you become reputable)

Power washing seems easier to enter than consumer technology solutions and has a quicker feedback loop than web design.

You can have your power washing business up and running within a week or two AND making money.

consignia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jul 19, 2019
I like Consumer technology solutions, much more than web design. I think you can get recurring payments with the former, and in general it's an easier project to start as you can get clients more quickly. I think the web design competition is huge right now

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Kudos on narrowing down your choices of business ideas. I know it can be a chaotic process. Given that you are still bound to a cubicle, I would recommend a service that can be rendered from home. So that would be the Web Design business.

I know it is saturated, but don't let that deter you. I know nothing about the pressure washing business and the Consumer technology business is vague, you do not have a core service offering, the need for that service is declining, and I state from experience having started my IT career as one of those Geek Squads that come to your home, that was 15 years ago!

Besides the option of working remotely, Web design will challenge you to grow in many areas, technical skills, business skills, copywriting, etc. And it provides you with the option of coming up with a more refined business idea, the ability to execute that business idea and if all else fails the ability to transition to another cubicle that has more free coffee, catered Friday lunch and hopefully more $$$.

In all do you, don't overthink it, as someone once said, there is no right decision, you just need to make a decision and then make it right.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I wouldn't always say this, but since this is your first business and your time is limited... I would say choose the one that you can help someone with the quickest. For most that would probably be the pressure washing business. But if consumer tech comes to mind for you then it sounds like you've already got your answer.

One thing I learned recently, the idea/prototype/sales pitch/service is always inaccurate in the beginning. How could it not be? It hasn't been molded by the market yet.

So once you have something of value, share it with the world knowing that the direction will change whatever idea you thought you wanted to do initially.

Also, these might help if you haven't read them already:

Hope that helps!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Go out in the market and get some customers, let people that give you value vouchers what business to decide on. I can't speak for the first 2 options but for the third one it's ''easy'' to get customers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.