The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding USA suppliers....

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I like the idea of sourcing from the USA. Not out of some patriotic thing as much as just simplicity. Quicker turnaround. And possibly change with how imports are taxed in the future as well as costs to manufacturer in the US maybe lowering.

But man is sourcing from here not as user friendly. I know how to track down suppliers of certain items. But they almost always seem to have terrible websites. And sometimes arent manufacturers as much as they are just a middle man importing from China.

Maybe if you are coming up with a brand new design it is easier to get that done here since communication is better. But the act of looking through these various importing sites and getting ideas from the products they are displaying doesnt exist when looking for USA manufacturers. Unless im missing some website.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Unfortunately, the site that used to be the best ThomasNet® - Product Sourcing and Supplier Discovery Platform, now carries numerous advertisements by Amazon, and the majority of those are offering imports.

Despite that, it is still possible to find real US and Canadian manufacturers, but it is not as easy as using the Chinese sourcing sites.

Say you want model trucks, so you search for "model trucks"...... Result: a couple of thousand mostly irrelevant suppliers of engineering models, trucks. trucking services etc. Change your search to "toy trucks" and apart from a few hundred suppliers of toys including makers of stuffed toys, you will find over 1,000 trucking services.

There is a great need for an advanced search facility, but thomasnet is so big that I doubt they will ever provide that. Consequently you will have a tedious, long drawn out process of elimination, together with many fruitless emails to manufacturers who just might make what you want. The advertisers on thomasnet should rebel, but until that happens, if ever, you will need patience and persistence far beyond the average.

I am currently working on my 2017 book revision in which I plan on listing as many sourcing alternatives to thomasnet as I can find. Many of them will be industry specific, with nothing to match the Chinese sites.

Walter

applesack

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 11, 2017
Albuquerque
But man is sourcing from [the US] is not user friendly.

Yeah... I totally agree. In my experience you have to know your industry and linkedin is pretty much the only effective way if you don't know the players in your industry.

I used Maker’s Row - Manufacturing, Sourcing, Production Education once, it was pretty cool and the connection was great... but there aren't many manufacturers on Maker's Row, those guys need to automate their supplier side operations.

Edit to add: Industry trade shows and their associated trade publications. This the other place that I have found a few good US connections.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Yeah... I totally agree. In my experience you have to know your industry and linkedin is pretty much the only effective way if you don't know the players in your industry.

I used Maker’s Row - Manufacturing, Sourcing, Production Education once, it was pretty cool and the connection was great... but there aren't many manufacturers on Maker's Row, those guys need to automate their supplier side operations.

Edit to add: Industry trade shows and their associated trade publications. This the other place that I have found a few good US connections.
There are quite a few industry specific or industry limited sites like Maker's Row, and I intend listing them all after I check them out thoroughly. To explain, let me give an example:

On thomasnet I searched for manufacturers of a product being widely imported and found a few. The first one I checked out is almost certainly importing, but they are listed as manufacturers. That is possibly due to them owning a factory in China, but they don't disclose that. I have the ability to investigate and get certainty, but that shouldn't be necessary.

If you want to find products that are actually manufactured in the USA, suppliers listed on thomasnet should be ethical and disclose where their factory is. This is a problem I have encountered many times when trying to help readers locate real local manufacturers, and is why I can't unreservedly recommend using thomasnet.

One of the Chinese sourcing sites I recommend is scrupulous in relation to the issue of who is really manufacturing, and you can trust what they say about the status of suppliers. If they can do it, why can't thomasnet?

Walter

applesack

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 11, 2017
Albuquerque
If you want to find products that are actually manufactured in the USA, suppliers listed on thomasnet should be ethical and disclose where their factory is. This is a problem I have encountered many times when trying to help readers locate real local manufacturers, and is why I can't unreservedly recommend using thomasnet.

Wow, looking forward to your updated book... when will that be ready?

OT: Love your direct response marketing site. Did you do it, or have someone else set it up for you? You need images in the customer reviews section!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
One method I have used to find US suppliers/manufacturers is to google search private label toy trucks and refine from there. It takes some searching but it can be done. I like that the search is difficult, higher barrier to entry and less competition.

Good luck.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Because I have made my own widgets for years, I have done a lot of research into US made raw materials-mainly paper, textiles, jewelry supplies, and bag hardware. I can't say what process I followed exactly as it was kind of a meandering walk through Google. A lot of using quotes "made in US" and a lot of minusing out stuff. One way I found some suppliers was nosing around my competition and picking up hints that way through their blogs, social media, workshop photos, etc. In photos, you can often see supplies with labels showing. I know people who would clutch their pearls at this and gasp "underhanded!". Meh, if you don't want the world to see it, don't show it to the world.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
There are ways to find out. One of the best ways is contacting large distributors of the product you want to source. Ask them what companies that they distribute for that still manufacture in the USA.
Example: I'm looking for Made in USA auto parts.
Google: Distributors of auto parts.
Then I'd just call 5-6 of them up and ask them what companies they rep/distribute for that still manufacture in the USA.

Another possibility is Manufacturing Quotes | Contract Manufacturers | MFG.com You should be able to use their search function to find USA _____, whatever product your looking for.
Also go to Trade Show Directory | 2017 & 2018 | Events In America's Tradeshows, Events, Meetings, Conferences, Conventions, Fairs and Festivals This is a website that gives you all the trade shows featured in the USA. Click onto the trades show that is in your niche and check out the companies that have booths/displays there. Contact them directly and see if they mfg domestically.

And even if they don't currently manufacture a product doesn't mean they won't. We have several products we private brand that had 'no home' until we asked. Those manufacturers love us because they have seen our orders grow 500%-600% in just a couple years.

It is just a barrier of entry. Nothing more.

You don't need anyone to hand it to you on a silver platter, go out and make your own...

edit:spelling

WorkingOnIt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 15, 2016
Macedonia, Europe- NJ, USA
Maybe someone needs to take a Thomasnet/have a script run through it to find a better way to recreate a competing website to offer what it is you lack ;)

I'd love to do it, but working on something else at the moment as my bread and butter.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Wow, looking forward to your updated book... when will that be ready?

OT: Love your direct response marketing site. Did you do it, or have someone else set it up for you? You need images in the customer reviews section!
I am hoping to have the revision ready by early Spring, but the work involved is substantial. This thread highlights some of the things I have to do when making a revision.

Even in the US, companies claim to be manufacturers, but they don't tell the whole story. I tried the method suggested and Googled "Private label (my search product)" and found numerous US companies. Only a few identified themselves correctly as manufacturing in the USA. The majority simply stated that they are manufacturers. After doing my research I found that manufacturing for most of those companies was done in China, Mexico, and Germany. One stated that they manufacture "in North America" (Mexico.)

They rely on the common law principle "Qui facit per alium facit per se" which means "He who acts through another does the act himself." Although it is primarily used in connection with liability, it is also used as a loophole device to justify claiming to manufacture when in reality you have it done by others on your behalf.

This is a long winded way for me to say that I can't recommend sourcing sites that are not transparent. I also check out the claimants to being manufacturers, so that I don't lead my readers astray.

Re my website - I drafted it, but it was finished for me by Jim Cockrum's PAC support team.

Walter

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I am hoping to have the revision ready by early Spring, but the work involved is substantial. This thread highlights some of the things I have to do when making a revision.

Even in the US, companies claim to be manufacturers, but they don't tell the whole story. I tried the method suggested and Googled "Private label (my search product)" and found numerous US companies. Only a few identified themselves correctly as manufacturing in the USA. The majority simply stated that they are manufacturers. After doing my research I found that manufacturing for most of those companies was done in China, Mexico, and Germany. One stated that they manufacture "in North America" (Mexico.)

They rely on the common law principle "Qui facit per alium facit per se" which means "He who acts through another does the act himself." Although it is primarily used in connection with liability, it is also used as a loophole device to justify claiming to manufacture when in reality you have it done by others on your behalf.

This is a long winded way for me to say that I can't recommend sourcing sites that are not transparent. I also check out the claimants to being manufacturers, so that I don't lead my readers astray.

Re my website - I drafted it, but it was finished for me by Jim Cockrum's PAC support team.

Walter

I agree. I found several of my suppliers in the US that way. However, I have visited them to confirm the products are made where they say they are.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
There are ways to find out. One of the best ways is contacting large distributors of the product you want to source. Ask them what companies that they distribute for that still manufacture in the USA.
Then I'd just call 5-6 of them up and ask them what companies they rep/distribute for that still manufacture in the USA.

Another possibility is Manufacturing Quotes | Contract Manufacturers | MFG.com You should be able to use their search function to find USA _____, whatever product your looking for.
Also go to Trade Show Directory | 2017 & 2018 | Events In America's Tradeshows, Events, Meetings, Conferences, Conventions, Fairs and Festivals This is a website that gives you all the trade shows featured in the USA. Click onto the trades show that is in your niche and check out the companies that have booths/displays there. Contact them directly and see if they mfg domestically.

And even if they don't currently manufacture a product doesn't mean they won't. We have several products we private brand that had 'no home' until we asked. Those manufacturers love us because they have seen our orders grow 500%-600% in just a couple years.

You don't need anyone to hand it to you on a silver platter, go out and make your own...

This is the dude to listen to on this topic. I was hoping he had seen this thread.

FreedomforEarl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2017
USA

Thank you for this information !

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just looked at that site and it is very good !

For those of you that don't know @million$$$smile... He runs a company that owns significant market share in a certain category. He is the real deal. The crazy part... He did all of it with products made in the USA.

The opportunity is available here, there and everywhere if you work hard and find the formula.

Interesting time to bring this up... What do y'all think about the proposed 35% tarrifs? Certainly looks like people who have been playing stateside have a head start... Though I don't think he has the Congress for omnibus tarrif legislation.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
For those of you that don't know @million$$$smile... He runs a company that owns significant market share in a certain category. He is the real deal. The crazy part... He did all of it with products made in the USA.

The opportunity is available here, there and everywhere if you work hard and find the formula.

Interesting time to bring this up... What do y'all think about the proposed 35% tarrifs? Certainly looks like people who have been playing stateside have a head start... Though I don't think he has the Congress for omnibus tarrif legislation.

Good info thanks guys. I guess as he said in his reply, it is just a barrier to entry.

Im curious to see what the tariff ends up being. Wouldnt think 35% but who knows. I do think we will see it make a lot more sense for companies to just build here. Cut back on regulations. Large cut to taxes. Sure workers here will always cost more but I think we can balance it out a lot better then it is now by saving money elsewhere.

FreedomforEarl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2017
USA
Good info thanks guys. I guess as he said in his reply, it is just a barrier to entry.

Im curious to see what the tariff ends up being. Wouldnt think 35% but who knows. I do think we will see it make a lot more sense for companies to just build here. Cut back on regulations. Large cut to taxes. Sure workers here will always cost more but I think we can balance it out a lot better then it is now by saving money elsewhere.
I sat down with a Co-Worker who had a PhD in Economics and she said at 4.7 % Unemployment , it will be hard to get under that because we have a very old workforce and that we have a lot of unskilled workers here. She is from Spain where they have a 20% unemployment rate. She said if there are more jobs, they would have to be at an higher wage. She indicated the best way to get under that 4.7 unemployment rate to create more small businesses.

FreedomforEarl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2017
USA
Thank you for this information !
They called me and asked me what were my needs. I explained that I was looking for supplier to make my Label shirts and sweatshirts. She infomred they are more into fabrications and about 13 years ago they were more into textiles. Wow she sent me the name of an China company who was the real deal. I love this forum

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I sat down with a Co-Worker who had a PhD in Economics and she said at 4.7 % Unemployment , it will be hard to get under that because we have a very old workforce and that we have a lot of unskilled workers here. She is from Spain where they have a 20% unemployment rate. She said if there are more jobs, they would have to be at an higher wage. She indicated the best way to get under that 4.7 unemployment rate to create more small businesses.
It may come as a shock to many, but lots of economists agree that 4.9% unemployment = full employment. The thinking is that there is a need for a pool of unemployed, otherwise labor costs will skyrocket.

If there were ever to be zero unemployed, business would be rushing offshore even faster than ever before.

Walter

FreedomforEarl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 23, 2017
USA
It may come as a shock to many, but lots of economists agree that 4.9% unemployment = full employment. The thinking is that there is a need for a pool of unemployed, otherwise labor costs will skyrocket.

If there were ever to be zero unemployed, business would be rushing offshore even faster than ever before.

Walter
Walter thank you for that , may I copy what you said and place it on my Facebook page please !

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Great thread, I was looking for the same information. Maybe this is an opportunity to be the AliBaba of the USA? :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.