The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding owners of land plots or new developments

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Ok so poking around for fun i was finding the owner of a house and found an article where he was developing a piece of land. Google maps shows the plots in normal mode but it doesn't show the plot or land number.

I know once i get that i could look up the owner or more info via the counties records, but how to you find out the identification of a certain area of land? Is there a site for that or am i missing it on google maps?

Someone school me on how all this works please!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Does the property have a physical address or some other identifying number on it? If you get that then you can go to your county central appraisal office or the tax assessors office and find out who owns it. Your CAD or Tax A/C may even be online.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Google maps isn't going to have what you want.

Go to your city's website and hope you are one of the lucky ones to have a good GIS system. My city invested in it a few years ago and my god its the best thing since the wheel and sliced bread!

Its like a google map, with the plots overlaid, zoning, wetlands, and flood zones. One click brings up all the records, and ours even has the mailing address for the owner if they don't live their. The mailing address is usualy correct because thats where the tax bill goes.

Vision appraisel is great for the records.

City of Milford, CT - Interactive Web GIS

Here is Milfords, so far its the best one I have found in CT. I have spent countless hours on it.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Does the property have a physical address or some other identifying number on it? If you get that then you can go to your county central appraisal office or the tax assessors office and find out who owns it. Your CAD or Tax A/C may even be online.

I looked a few up via info, but these are plots that dont have anything on them which is how i am trying to figure out where you get info. Someone has to have a number for it.

Google maps isn't going to have what you want.

Go to your city's website and hope you are one of the lucky ones to have a good GIS system. My city invested in it a few years ago and my god its the best thing since the wheel and sliced bread!

Its like a google map, with the plots overlaid, zoning, wetlands, and flood zones. One click brings up all the records, and ours even has the mailing address for the owner if they don't live their. The mailing address is usualy correct because thats where the tax bill goes.

Vision appraisel is great for the records.

City of Milford, CT - Interactive Web GIS

Here is Milfords, so far its the best one I have found in CT. I have spent countless hours on it.

Thanks, i will look tomorrow but i doubt this county has anything sophisticated. Is there any other option past that besides going to the county and looking at paper maps and microfilm?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
Here in Bay County,FL I can go to county appraisers web site and look up all kinds of information on land. I can see the county maps of a plot of land, but I can also see some of the owners information including how much the taxes, and if they've been paid or not.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Ok so poking around for fun i was finding the owner of a house
STALKER! :D

and found an article where he was developing a piece of land. Google maps shows the plots in normal mode but it doesn't show the plot or land number.

I know once i get that i could look up the owner or more info via the counties records, but how to you find out the identification of a certain area of land? Is there a site for that or am i missing it on google maps?

Someone school me on how all this works please!
Is this a Loudoun county piece of land? I haven't seen this option online, so maybe a trip to the Land Management office in Leesburg would be needed.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
STALKER! :D

Is this a Loudoun county piece of land? I haven't seen this option online, so maybe a trip to the Land Management office in Leesburg would be needed.

Basically that's what i am!

No its actually fauquier county, which is why i am almost definite without looking that they wont have anything that advanced.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
If you can't find it online you need to go downtown and look it up. If it doesn't have an address thats fine, it just means that no one has done anything with it yet. Go to planning and zoning and look it up in the address book.

You know the street and the owner, if you can look it up on vision appraisal and get the lot and block number its even simpler.

If your going to start doing this you need to get a set of plot maps for your city, you can usualy get them on PDF. Also your going to need a copy of the current zoning regulations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.