The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Find a new job or start business

Should I Find a New Job or start my business

• Find a new job

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Work on business

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Hello Guys,
I'm new here and thought this would be the right place to ask this question instead of asking friends and family. Pretty much my company is filing chapter 11. They will be closing a few locations and I was told that if it came down to it we are definitely the first location to close. We get No severance, only vacation pay and unemployment. My thing is I was hoping this would be my last J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) that I will ever have to have before starting my business. I'm not really looking forward to starting with a new company because it's not what I want to do.

I'm stuck because on one hand I should definitely get a new job so I can have steady income coming in. On the other hand this can be a blessing in disguise because I automatically get unemployment and this frees me up to have 100% focus on creating my business. I'm working in real estate and already found good coaching for a small ( to me) fee. And the sector of real estate in doing really doesn't have a large overhead so I can start on a shoe string budget. It does require money but it won't bakrupt me. If I can give this 100% of my focus without having to worry about a job I feel I will be on my way and it will be worth the risk.

So in you guys honest opinion what would you do in this situation. Would you immediately look for a new job or would you take this as an opportunity to focus on your business venture while on unemployment. (I'm not a mooch of any kind and don't believe in welfare or getting money for nothing) BUT I just want to turn this bad situation for me into a good thing and being unemployed "not by my own fault" may get me to my dream. The unemployment can help me with the transition. Thanks in advance.

P.S. As soon as I get 2 deals under my belt I would plan to discontinue the unemployment benefits.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Look up Maslow's hierarchy of needs. The first 2 levels are not negotiable.

Then read the book that brought everyone here.
Sorry I forgot to mention it. But I've read the millionaire fast lane already and listen to it on audio as well. Just looking for an answer to the question. Thanks.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Are you going to be a "wholesaler?"

Hello Guys,
I'm new here and thought this would be the right place to ask this question instead of asking friends and family. Pretty much my company is filing chapter 11. They will be closing a few locations and I was told that if it came down to it we are definitely the first location to close. We get No severance, only vacation pay and unemployment. My thing is I was hoping this would be my last J.O.B. (Just Over Broke) that I will ever have to have before starting my business. I'm not really looking forward to starting with a new company because it's not what I want to do.

I'm stuck because on one hand I should definitely get a new job so I can have steady income coming in. On the other hand this can be a blessing in disguise because I automatically get unemployment and this frees me up to have 100% focus on creating my business. I'm working in real estate and already found good coaching for a small ( to me) fee. And the sector of real estate in doing really doesn't have a large overhead so I can start on a shoe string budget. It does require money but it won't bakrupt me. If I can give this 100% of my focus without having to worry about a job I feel I will be on my way and it will be worth the risk.

So in you guys honest opinion what would you do in this situation. Would you immediately look for a new job or would you take this as an opportunity to focus on your business venture while on unemployment. (I'm not a mooch of any kind and don't believe in welfare or getting money for nothing) BUT I just want to turn this bad situation for me into a good thing and being unemployed "not by my own fault" may get me to my dream. The unemployment can help me with the transition. Thanks in advance.

P.S. As soon as I get 2 deals under my belt I would plan to discontinue the unemployment benefits.

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
Unless you have enough saving to live and maintatin yourself and the ones who are livint with you for 6 monts, and enough saving for starting a company (while they have to be on two separates positions and can't mix), get a job. Otherwise you are very likely to finish no job, no health and no money, if your business will fail, or will need some additional money at start.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Unless you have enough saving to live and maintatin yourself and the ones who are livint with you for 6 monts, and enough saving for starting a company (while they have to be on two separates positions and can't mix), get a job. Otherwise you are very likely to finish no job, no health and no money, if your business will fail, or will need some additional money at start.

Hi thanks for the reply. I've already started my business and the wheels are definately turning. I will be getting unemployment benefits since the company is laying everyone off so I'm not too concerned about going hungry. My monthly expenses are very low and I don't have any kids to support. So for me I'm starting to think it's kind of a no brainier to use this bad time of losing my job to give my business 100% of my time.

Last edited:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Take it for what its worth but expect to spend several thousand per month on marketing for "deals", and expect 3-6 months with no deals until you really know what you're doing. It might come quicker, it might take longer. Its hard to say.

If you can comfortably live off unemployment in the time being than I would say go all in on wholesaling. Just be warned it isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Take it for what its worth but expect to spend several thousand per month on marketing for "deals", and expect 3-6 months with no deals until you really know what you're doing. It might come quicker, it might take longer. Its hard to say.

If you can comfortably live off unemployment in the time being than I would say go all in on wholesaling. Just be warned it isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be.
Thanks for the honest opinion. Trust me me I know it's tough. No way do I think this will be a cake walk. I'm expecting blood, sweat, and tears.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Yes, I love bigger pockets and have listened almost all their podcasts along with Sean Terry. I eat ,sleep ,breathe REI even when at work. I'm pretty much up until 3am sometimes learning And executing what I've learned. But to me I'm confident without the job in the way taking up my time I can reach my goals much quicker. I am still employed but won't know the real outcome until later this week.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I think, bullshit. When you're just starting out REI shouldn't be taking up so much of your time. Maybe you're just being busy.

Yes, I love bigger pockets and have listened almost all their podcasts along with Sean Terry. I eat ,sleep ,breathe REI even when at work. I'm pretty much up until 3am sometimes learning And executing what I've learned. But to me I'm confident without the job in the way taking up my time I can reach my goals much quicker. I am still employed but won't know the real outcome until later this week.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
I think, bullshit. When you're just starting out REI shouldn't be taking up so much of your time. Maybe you're just being busy.
Listen man.. If your gonna be negative you need to get out of my thread asap!! I don't give a shit what you think is bullshit. I work full time at night and sleep therefore I'm learning AND working on my business after I get home around 11pm and can't do both at the same time so it take up time. You have no idea how much time it takes to try and start a business and work full time which I've been doing for some time now. You know nothing about what I do with my time so you can take you bullshit comment and shove it! Your dismissed from this thread. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
As you wish. See ya in 6 months.

Listen man.. If your gonna be negative you need to get out of my thread asap!! I don't give a shit what you think is bullshit. I work full time at night and sleep therefore I'm learning AND working on my business after I get home around 11pm and can't do both at the same time so it take up time. You have no idea how much time it takes to try and start a business and work full time which I've been doing for some time now. You know nothing about what I do with my time so you can take you bullshit comment and shove it! Your dismissed from this thread. Thanks for your time.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015

Classic words written by someone not likely going anywhere. You come on a forum asking for a direction, then you don't like what the the consensus is saying, and you basically just call them "Haters." Not to mention saying "you have no idea..." while making assumptions yourself. SMH...

If you know already what you're going to do, then WHY DID YOU ASK STRANGERS WHAT TO DO? Just STFU and do it!

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Thats a winning attitude ;) "Give me your honest opinions!" *insert comment* "yeah, i already know that." *insert comment about how youre wasting time* "gtfo nuhuh". Listen to what people are saying or dont ask. Stop being set in your ways or this attitude will follow into business. Youll do a redesign of your website and everyoneof your customers will hate it and you'll lose conversions, but you wont change because you know you were right. Reread TMF is my advice. You need a mindset change before anything else.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Classic words written by someone not likely going anywhere. You come on a forum asking for a direction, then you don't like what the the consensus is saying, and you basically just call them "Haters." Not to mention saying "you have no idea..." while making assumptions yourself. SMH...

If you know already what you're going to do, then WHY DID YOU ASK STRANGERS WHAT TO DO? Just STFU and do it!

If you read the thread you would notice I was courteous to everyone that replied to this thread with their honest opinions. first he posts something that has nothing to do with what I asks he makes a comment ignore him obviously because I was done talking to him then he calls me a liar and say I'm not working as hard as I said I am. So he's basically calling me a liar. Who does that? Why would he call someone he doesn't know a liar? I'm just saying. We should be here to support one another not put the person down saying I'm not doing as much as I say. WTF is that?

G

GuestUser113

Who comes on a forum to seek advice from complete strangers? Who does that?

“I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, 'Where’s the self-help section?' She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.” Steven Wright

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Thats a winning attitude ;) "Give me your honest opinions!" *insert comment* "yeah, i already know that." *insert comment about how youre wasting time* "gtfo nuhuh". Listen to what people are saying or dont ask. Stop being set in your ways or this attitude will follow into business. Youll do a redesign of your website and everyoneof your customers will hate it and you'll lose conversions, but you wont change because you know you were right. Reread TMF is my advice. You need a mindset change before anything else.

I see what your saying. I WAS accepting of everyone opinion taking it all in until this guy told me I was lying and I'm not working hard.. It was uncalled for. If you read back I was nice to EVERYONE and listening. Even to him until he called me a liar. I ignored him the first jab her made and he continued to post anyway. And trust me I've read TMF twice already once book, once audio and will re-read as many times as I could. MJ's book is genius along with a few others I've read.

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Who comes on a forum to seek advice from complete strangers? Who does that?
Millions of people actually... Thats mainly what most forums are. A community of knowledge. Ever heard of reddit? You can excuse yourself from my thread also. You should be focusing on your creating your business instead of why I'm asking questions on a forum.. WTH..Im not going to argue with you, because I don't want people thinking this is my character. I apologize to the forum or anyone else reading this thread or have gave me solid advice. I really do appreciate it.

G

GuestUser113

Millions of people actually... Thats mainly what most forums are. A community of knowledge. Ever heard of reddit? You can excuse yourself from my thread also. You should be focusing on your creating your business instead of why I'm asking questions on a forum.. WTH..Im not going to argue with you, because I don't want people thinking this is my character. I apologize to the forum or anyone else reading this thread or have gave me solid advice. I really do appreciate it.

LOL. Not life decisions. Last time I checked, this is not reddit.

M7vqcCD.jpg

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
LOL. Not life decisions. Last time I checked, this is not reddit.

Go away dude! Your nuts.. Lol. Your life must suck man. I would never come to someone's thread to try and put them down. You just trying to make yourself look better but you acting chidish. You have to be a teenager behaving this way. Go away.. I'm serious. Do NOT Reply.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I was in your same exact situation 2 years ago, took the business route and i dont regret it, the learning curve might be harder but very doable.
Good luck

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Btw, welcome to the forum
It's a great place to be part of, you will find all kind of people, experiences and well sometimes attitudes ... Which makes it an even greater place because it blends all kind of different people.

Again, welcome to the forum

Determined2BeGR8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Feb 12, 2015
New Jersey
Btw, welcome to the forum
It's a great place to be part of, you will find all kind of people, experiences and well sometimes attitudes ... Which makes it an even greater place because it blends all kind of different people.

Again, welcome to the forum
Thanks Bila. I'm learning that the hard way.Your words have been very kind. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences with everyone, and hopefully help someone along the way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.