The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Financial Minimalism is Anti-Fastlane/Unscription

Anything related to matters of the mind

LionMarketing

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Aug 11, 2020
New York City

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
You don't get rich by saving a few bucks.

You get there by earning more than you could possibly spend (within reason).

You sell a company, create a cashflow business, etc.

Saving $10 bucks a day on whatever causes you so much more mental harm than the $300/mo you're saving can buy you.

If you are so financially F*cked that $300/mo makes a difference in your life, you need to go hustle your way to a point where that $300/mo no longer worries you.

People underestimate the mental strain that caring about the "small stuff" puts on you and your goals/action taking.

If you're worried about the small stuff all the time, you just don't have enough energy to put towards the stuff that will get you to financial freedom.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

There is merit here and it comes up a lot, I just want to point out though that no matter how much money you have, accumulated over days, weeks, or decades... it is always possible to piss it all away very quickly.
Don’t forget that :)

You might build a business for 5 years, sell it for $1 million, but you can spend all $1 million in 5 minutes with a stroke of a pen.

but yeah, saving 10% of your income while working at McDonald’s isn’t going to cut it.

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
I think this video is great at explaining why save save save is a not the best idea for an entrepreneur looking to achieve great results.

Wanted to share this and see some responses from the forum.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsXi3b9wC2w
Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Though it is still important to be frugal when building a business. Profit needs to be reinvested in the business to generate more profit and compound interest. Fancy offices are a waste of money when that cash could be reinvested in a new product or service.

When you're starting out you should minimise personal expenses. Things like the choice between no car, second hand car and new car. But don't obsess about all the little expenses. Not buying take out coffee will have little effect on how much you can invest in your business but getting rid of your car will. Cut your big expenses down then stop worrying about the small things and focus on revenue instead. If a Starbucks coffee makes you happy each day then go for it.

So many businesses (and people) are in a constant situation of income = expenses. We spend whats in our bank account. If you're in a service business it's easier to grow without making a profit but in most businesses profit is essential for growth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
When you're starting out you should minimise personal expenses. Things like the choice between no car, second hand car and new car. But don't obsess about all the little expenses. Not buying take out coffee will have little effect on how much you can invest in your business but getting rid of your car will. Cut your big expenses down then stop worrying about the small things and focus on revenue instead. If a Starbucks coffee makes you happy each day then go for it.

So many businesses (and people) are in a constant situation of income = expenses. We spend whats in our bank account. If you're in a service business it's easier to grow without making a profit but in most businesses profit is essential for growth.
Ah thanks for adding this. After selling my house it's a little daunting to see how much I spent in the six weeks since — getting some of those essential big expenses out the way. Nothing crazy like a car, just essentials, but it's nice I can stop worrying about little things now.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I didn't want the video but I can attest to the difference between focusing on saving pennies vs focusing on making dollars.

About 3 years ago I decided to stop worrying about trying to save and instead focused on increasing my income. My thought is that I can focus on the finite amount I have or the infinite amount I can get.

So far it's worked well. I call it abundance mindset. Everyone around me is trying to stretch the money they have. I know that in a few years when I have a million plus, I won't be worrying about the 10k I could have saved.

That said, that doesn't mean I just blow all my money. It's a general rule for me to have more coming in than going out. I don't have a lot of expenses and I lean towards investing rather than spending money on things that bring zero return.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You don't get rich by saving a few bucks.

You get there by earning more than you could possibly spend (within reason).

You sell a company, create a cashflow business, etc.

Saving $10 bucks a day on whatever causes you so much more mental harm than the $300/mo you're saving can buy you.

If you are so financially f*cked that $300/mo makes a difference in your life, you need to go hustle your way to a point where that $300/mo no longer worries you.

People underestimate the mental strain that caring about the "small stuff" puts on you and your goals/action taking.

If you're worried about the small stuff all the time, you just don't have enough energy to put towards the stuff that will get you to financial freedom.
1000%

Losers worry about negotiating to save $20 a month on their car insurance, or get a 5% raise at their job.

Winners are out scaling their business from 100k a year to 1M a year, 10M a year and beyond.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
4kb6kf.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Agree with this. Minimalism has always been foreign to me.

Though I have a lot of nice stuff, I also believe in keeping the lifestyle in check and out of the consideration. Having the ability to weather a long term storm has always kept the journey less stressful.

I could have 5x the house, and will... But not giving a damn has been a delight.

I could have brand new luxury cars, and will... But it is nice to literally not care at all.

Buying investments, of any kind, excites me almost as much as buying traditionally "fun" things.

Here's the deal though... I could live off my my investments for likely the rest of my life. An upper middle class level of "F*ck you."

I like that too much to give it up by spending like sidewalker. I have arranged my life in such a way that things only get better and the budget only grows.

Like anything, there is a balance.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
FIRE people drive me nuts

It drives me crazy too. Every time a marketwatch article comes up saying “Couple retires at age 35 living in a van at Walmart parking lot!”

It’s always the same. The husband makes $100k a year working for a big tech firm and the wife makes $120k a year as an attorney. The average person doesn’t make that and the average college grad won’t even make half that.

Although in regards to the topic of this thread. Ask the average professional athlete how anti-minimalism turned out.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Anyone remember this thread?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Anyone remember this thread?

My respects to anybody that has the discipline and determination to do that. I can’t imagine living in a van like in Los Angeles where it’s actually not legal to live in a van or car. You can’t just park on the side of the road, live there, and shave on the sidewalk. Although it’s not enforced.

It would actually be better to live somewhere in Mexico like in Puerto Vallarta where you can pay $300 in rent. You have a roof over your head and a place to shower and some high speed wifi. But it’s usually outside the comfort zone of many.

G

Guest1413tpa

My respects to anybody that has the discipline and determination to do that. I can’t imagine living in a van like in Los Angeles where it’s actually not legal to live in a van or car. You can’t just park on the side of the road, live there, and shave on the sidewalk. Although it’s not enforced.

It would actually be better to live somewhere in Mexico like in Puerto Vallarta where you can pay $300 in rent. You have a roof over your head and a place to shower and some high speed wifi. But it’s usually outside the comfort zone of many.
I enjoy my converted ambulance, but I doubt I would ever go full time in it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.