Midrange
New Contributor
It's about time to MAN UP, and it's pretty exciting! I'll turn 30 in September and it feels good to finally kick this off before then. :yourock:
My idea for the fastlane has been to join the information product/internet marketing business. I would say the idea was planted in my mind about 6 months ago, then took some time to work things out where it seemed feasible.
A quick background on myself....I've been an Electrical Engineer since I got out of college, then went and got my MBA in Finance a few years after. I've worked primarily in the building construction industry so real estate development has traditionally been my long term passion. My goal has been to do some slow lane learning under others (construction management firm, then real estate development firm) then fast lane it on my own. Last year I attempted to make the switch, but couldn't make it happen for reasons I'm unsure of....although I was able to get a new Engineering job with ease like it was 1999.
So I knew development would be on hold for awhile....
Then one day I was talking to my good friend and soon to be business partner about our passion: high end audio (hence my username "midrange"). We love it almost as much if not more than exotic cars, and it's something we know quite a bit about (but he's clearly the stronger guru). Originally I was thinking about a website teaching all about audio, like how to tune systems, what gear to buy, and earning income off of ads....
That is cool and maybe that could be a blog or something, but then I started thinking about information products and how I could package this into an ebook. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense so that's what I've decided to do.
I got materials on structuring an ebook, and on copywriting. I've learned that the first key to making this worthwhile is a good sales page that ties into the ebook. Also, another big key is to write the book with the consumer's needs in mind, not my needs pushed onto theirs......a huge subtlety that I would not have appreciated as much before, but do now. It's a bit more work, but worthwhile I'm told.
I'll admit I haven't been the best DOer in the world. I plan ahead and say I'll do things, but often times postpone them unnecessarily. I am willing to do just about anything to be successful, but can get caught up in an "analysis paralysis" trap....
I've acknowledged this openly, and am looking to hold myself accountable to not let it stop me (and posting here should help 😀 ).
Originally I was supposed to write this post a few months from now, but I was laid off in January and have had to deal with getting a new job since then and it hasn't been easy. It's ironic that I became a licensed professional engineer two days before that, and got dropped. Layoffs left & right in the industry, it's pretty tough and it's hard to get back......six months ago was like 1999 in comparison to this, crazy!
Anyways, looking for something that will pay the bills while I can focus on the fastlane. My priorities are different now....whatever helps the fastlane process the best is my ideal job. I couldn't care less about $5k or $10k here....amateur thinking.
So, maybe this is the true opportunity that's arisen. Perhaps I needed a layoff to really kick this off (or at least I'd like to think so
).
fftopic:
Now that that's off the chest, let's focus very quickly on what's at hand. Here's what I've done so far:
1. Registered some domain names
2. Organized an outline for an ebook, the intellectual matter.
3. Started a loose framework for the landing page.
I need to learn more about:
1. Shopping carts
2. What to set up my business as (i.e. LLC, s-corp, etc)
3. Search engine related matter
Don't know the proper term for it, but all of the administrative stuff. I'd appreciate help in this area.
Also, something else I'm curious about as well is partnerships with friends. Not sure how to structure deals with people in these sorts of businesses, especially friends. A touchy subject for sure...
I've done enough talking. Look forward to learning and contributing to this forum. Big up to MJ for creating this platform for us to learn!
Thanks,
Fellippe
My idea for the fastlane has been to join the information product/internet marketing business. I would say the idea was planted in my mind about 6 months ago, then took some time to work things out where it seemed feasible.
A quick background on myself....I've been an Electrical Engineer since I got out of college, then went and got my MBA in Finance a few years after. I've worked primarily in the building construction industry so real estate development has traditionally been my long term passion. My goal has been to do some slow lane learning under others (construction management firm, then real estate development firm) then fast lane it on my own. Last year I attempted to make the switch, but couldn't make it happen for reasons I'm unsure of....although I was able to get a new Engineering job with ease like it was 1999.
So I knew development would be on hold for awhile....
Then one day I was talking to my good friend and soon to be business partner about our passion: high end audio (hence my username "midrange"). We love it almost as much if not more than exotic cars, and it's something we know quite a bit about (but he's clearly the stronger guru). Originally I was thinking about a website teaching all about audio, like how to tune systems, what gear to buy, and earning income off of ads....
That is cool and maybe that could be a blog or something, but then I started thinking about information products and how I could package this into an ebook. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense so that's what I've decided to do.
I got materials on structuring an ebook, and on copywriting. I've learned that the first key to making this worthwhile is a good sales page that ties into the ebook. Also, another big key is to write the book with the consumer's needs in mind, not my needs pushed onto theirs......a huge subtlety that I would not have appreciated as much before, but do now. It's a bit more work, but worthwhile I'm told.
I'll admit I haven't been the best DOer in the world. I plan ahead and say I'll do things, but often times postpone them unnecessarily. I am willing to do just about anything to be successful, but can get caught up in an "analysis paralysis" trap....
I've acknowledged this openly, and am looking to hold myself accountable to not let it stop me (and posting here should help 😀 ).
Originally I was supposed to write this post a few months from now, but I was laid off in January and have had to deal with getting a new job since then and it hasn't been easy. It's ironic that I became a licensed professional engineer two days before that, and got dropped. Layoffs left & right in the industry, it's pretty tough and it's hard to get back......six months ago was like 1999 in comparison to this, crazy!
Anyways, looking for something that will pay the bills while I can focus on the fastlane. My priorities are different now....whatever helps the fastlane process the best is my ideal job. I couldn't care less about $5k or $10k here....amateur thinking.
So, maybe this is the true opportunity that's arisen. Perhaps I needed a layoff to really kick this off (or at least I'd like to think so
Now that that's off the chest, let's focus very quickly on what's at hand. Here's what I've done so far:
1. Registered some domain names
2. Organized an outline for an ebook, the intellectual matter.
3. Started a loose framework for the landing page.
I need to learn more about:
1. Shopping carts
2. What to set up my business as (i.e. LLC, s-corp, etc)
3. Search engine related matter
Don't know the proper term for it, but all of the administrative stuff. I'd appreciate help in this area.
Also, something else I'm curious about as well is partnerships with friends. Not sure how to structure deals with people in these sorts of businesses, especially friends. A touchy subject for sure...
I've done enough talking. Look forward to learning and contributing to this forum. Big up to MJ for creating this platform for us to learn!
Thanks,
Fellippe
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
