The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Plan-- Sports

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
I've been kicking around ideas left and right for past couple months. Looking for something that was fast lane and while being something I would enjoy building and doing.

I've been an entrepreneur by heart my whole life and have always enjoyed business in general. I earned my Real Estate License when I was 18 and learned several crucial aspects about working for yourself during that time. I enjoy real estate but Sports is by far and away my favorite passion and something I'm most knowledgable about.

I've finally came up with my FastLane idea. I'm creating a Sports Themed Social Network. Think similar to ESPN Passport which surprisingly ESPN has done a horrible job promoting.

Going to be able to check in to sporting events you are at and it will store your sporting event history. Special badges when you are at milestone games, "no-hitters", SuperBowls etc...

Going to have a Friend Stream where you can friend people you may meet at games.

I'm also going to develop a database of stadiums/Arenas across the country with info about stadium, restaraunts and hotels. Allowing me to incorporates ads from hotels etc.

Have a ton of other stuff to go with this. I've decided I'm going after this and am going to make it successful!

Feedback appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I have to say on the surface that sounds like a good idea, I'll be curious to see how it plays out for you. Good luck.

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
I have to say on the surface that sounds like a good idea, I'll be curious to see how it plays out for you. Good luck.

Thank you-- I'm very motivated right now. I've beat this idea around in my head awhile and always have made excuses- This is too big of a project, how could I possibly program something like this. I've decided I'm not going to fail. I'm going to work through and take this to the top.

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
Yea I agree. I like the idea too. I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet. I'd probably use it. It sounds like a facebook for sports.

This is what I'm shooting for. I have some ideas that I think are going to be golden. Stuff is really starting to come together in my mind!

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Sounds good. Keep us updated as you move through the steps in your plan ...once you have it :smxB:

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Sounds very interesting, best of luck and send invitations when it's ready:)

If it works out well you can probably get a lot of sponsors too, much advertising goes on in sports.

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
Sounds very interesting, best of luck and send invitations when it's ready:)

If it works out well you can probably get a lot of sponsors too, much advertising goes on in sports.

That is my exact thinking and why I'm so optimistic. I'll definitely get stuff ready when I get a little further along!

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
Man It's is great to see a good reception from everybody in the thread about my idea. Hopefully the rest of the sports world will think so as well!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

mapaul04

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 27, 2011
Cool man, I like the idea. I majored in sport administration in college and know there is a big market and a ton of interest in sports and I think something like this would work well. I am surprised something like this doesnt already exist.

Keep me updated

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
I'll start a progress thread this weekend and unveil the name and other things. I'm 90% sure on what name I'm going to do.

GlassCannon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 15, 2011
Yeesh, I hate to be the naysayer of the bunch but I'm having a hard time seeing the purpose of such an app, unless I'm missing something. I guess my main concerns is, why wouldn't your potential customers just use foursquare or facebook or gowalla or some other app they're already on that can be used for lots more things than just sports games?

The other concern is, I feel as though the average person doesn't go to that many sporting events in a year (maybe 1? unless they're in college) and it seems like too much effort for lazy consumers to get an app for such a specific event...what if your friend who you want to meet up with doesn't have the app? Maybe I don't completely understand what the social network would include so feel free to take this opportunity to sell me on your idea :)

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Yeesh, I hate to be the naysayer of the bunch but I'm having a hard time seeing the purpose of such an app, unless I'm missing something. I guess my main concerns is, why wouldn't your potential customers just use foursquare or facebook or gowalla or some other app they're already on that can be used for lots more things than just sports games?

The other concern is, I feel as though the average person doesn't go to that many sporting events in a year (maybe 1? unless they're in college) and it seems like too much effort for lazy consumers to get an app for such a specific event...what if your friend who you want to meet up with doesn't have the app? Maybe I don't completely understand what the social network would include so feel free to take this opportunity to sell me on your idea :)

You are not a big sports fan. People buy season tickets, people try and visit every ball park, people plan vacations to be at sporting events. Just look at the fantasy websites.

To the OP, dude, go fast, get it going and sellout, you don't want to compete with the CBSsports.coms and those gorillas, they have a huge footprint, but if you get a good base going they may want to buy it to launch their own program.

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
You are not a big sports fan. People buy season tickets, people try and visit every ball park, people plan vacations to be at sporting events. Just look at the fantasy websites.

To the OP, dude, go fast, get it going and sellout, you don't want to compete with the CBSsports.coms and those gorillas, they have a huge footprint, but if you get a good base going they may want to buy it to launch their own program.

Thank you that is the ultimate plan and Bobby I appreciate your point of view and look at it but their are other features and things that will make this a Sports Hub separating it from FaceBook and other networks.

I don't know about you guys but during big sporting events look at your News Feed it is ridiculous all people are doing is giving a play by play of the game.

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Thank you that is the ultimate plan and Bobby I appreciate your point of view and look at it but their are other features and things that will make this a Sports Hub separating it from FaceBook and other networks.

Separate in terms of features but not accessibility or visibility...i.e, the social graph is your friend.

S

stranger

This is a good idea if you do have technical skills enough to do it. I have a list with gold ideas but without technical support or money all my ideas are just empty words.

GlassCannon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 15, 2011
I do love the idea of selling to a big company with deep pockets like ESPN or NFL. I guess the most important thing to do is really differentiate yourself from the other players out there. Best of luck!

JDub07

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jun 14, 2011
Houston
Just a brief update. I have registered Domain and begun the process of getting website set up. I'm planning on initially getting up a Blog and website with content that will allow me to build up a subscriber base of loyal people and will make launching the back end of site easier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.