The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Is So Much Pressure

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
P.S. this isn't a knock against canned tuna. Tuna is an excellent source of protein.

HAHAHAHAH lolol.

On a more serious note: Yes I agree with you completely. Becoming successful is very hard and requires a great deal of discipline and the attitude of never wanting to give up. It wont increase your life expectancy thats for sure :p.

There is nothing wrong with getting a highly paid job with great benefits. You can even become very wealthy if you live below your means and invest it the right way.

I would seriously consider it.

For me it wouldnt be a good idea to go employee, because my strengths are big picture thinking and strategy, so it wouldnt make sense to try very hard to do something I could only be above average good at.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
He does have a point though.

It's possible to make a pretty decent living off working a salaried job.

Not everyone is cut out for entrepreneurship. Not everyone can handle the hustle and the stress of not knowing where your next dollar is going to come from.

And if you can get a job that gives you a steady pay check with benefits, and enough to have a luxury car and nice place, it's quite tempting especially when you have less than a hundred dollars in your bank account and have been living off canned tuna for weeks.

I'm sure there's lots of people here who are certain they are going to be entrepreneurs before they pass through the gauntlet of challenges. They read TMF , now they're all fired up. They're sure they got what it takes.

But a lot of folk here are never going to make it. They'll take the easy way out. How many people have we seen come and go here?

People say they want the cars, the mansions, and all the things that come with wealth, but how many REALLY want it when it all comes down to it?

Too many drop out of the challenge and take the easy way out.

If someone wants to call it quits, there's no shame in that. It's not for everyone. This game weeds out the people who don't want it bad enough.
Agreed. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live that life. It is a waste of time to preach it here though.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
HAHAHAHAH lolol.

On a more serious note: Yes I agree with you completely. Becoming successful is very hard and requires a great deal of discipline and the attitude of never wanting to give up. It wont increase your life expectancy thats for sure :p.

There is nothing wrong with getting a highly paid job with great benefits. You can even become very wealthy if you live below your means and invest it the right way.

I would seriously consider it.

For me it wouldnt be a good idea to go employee, because my strengths are big picture thinking and strategy, so it wouldnt make sense to try very hard to do something I could only be above average good at.
I'm the same way, man.

My equilibrium becomes unbalanced at the though of being an employee.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live that life. It is a waste of time to preach it here though.
Word.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
hmmmm, late to the discussion, but I really have a different thinking about pressure.

To me pressure is being an EMT or emergency room nurse/doctor making a snap decision that will save someones life or not.
A police officer or fireman making that split second decision that keeps them alive or not.

Most everything else is pretty small potatoes. Here in the US, even if you fail, unemployment, welfare system, family, I might be hungry, but I am not going to starve to death, and I can always get one of those job things. Even your employees have that safety net to protect them from your bad decisions.

Someone once told me pressure is caused by not preparing in advance for the situation you are in, that sounds more like being stupid than anything.

I want to succeed, I want to have more than I have, but that isn't pressure, that is a goal. For me this strategy eliminates almost all fear of a situation, it is either going to be positive or negative, and negative won't kill me or someone else.

I don't think most of us feel pressure when we drive a car, yet we are behind the wheel of a several thousand pound vehicle going at speed, that a wrong decision at the wrong time, or losing focus could really turn into a tragedy, business is a lot less risky than that.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Being broke causes a lot of pressure too.

So does being in your 40s, realizing you have X number of years your MUST work due to retirement.

So does having a family to feed and being at the mercy of a company who might sign a deal tomorrow to have robots do your job for a fraction of the cost.

There are ways to manage stress and the biggest is by having an organized system to achieve what you want. Some stresses you cannot avoid until you simply face them.

At times when it gets tough and it would be the easy way to just quit, I remember how I would feel if I would have to work a job my whole life. A Slowlane life/job may seem like an easy way out, but what's the price of it? An unhappy life?

Always planning 10 steps ahead on your journey can put a lot pressure on your chest, it's like travelling a road, if you always think about the big hurdle you have to get over in 20 miles, you will feel that pressure the whole 20 miles until you're there. But if you think step for step, you will reach that hurdle and have your full energy to find a way over it. There is no reason in putting pressure on yourself for something that is 20 steps ahead, just go step after step and you will only feel the pressure of the current step, much better than the pressure of the next 20 steps, while you're doing the first one of them, isn't it?

There are days that I think "oh boy what do we do if in 2 months X happens, how can we handle Z after we finished Y?" but I learned to realize that it doesn't do anything good for my business and for me, if I'm always concerned with steps that are 20 steps away from the one I'm currently working on. Keep your excitement up and concentrate on the step you're currently working on, and you won't even realize that you just passed the step that you were worrying about a month ago.

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
hmmmm, late to the discussion, but I really have a different thinking about pressure.

To me pressure is being an EMT or emergency room nurse/doctor making a snap decision that will save someones life or not.
A police officer or fireman making that split second decision that keeps them alive or not.

Most everything else is pretty small potatoes. Here in the US, even if you fail, unemployment, welfare system, family, I might be hungry, but I am not going to starve to death, and I can always get one of those job things. Even your employees have that safety net to protect them from your bad decisions.

Someone once told me pressure is caused by not preparing in advance for the situation you are in, that sounds more like being stupid than anything.

I want to succeed, I want to have more than I have, but that isn't pressure, that is a goal. For me this strategy eliminates almost all fear of a situation, it is either going to be positive or negative, and negative won't kill me or someone else.

I don't think most of us feel pressure when we drive a car, yet we are behind the wheel of a several thousand pound vehicle going at speed, that a wrong decision at the wrong time, or losing focus could really turn into a tragedy, business is a lot less risky than that.

I guess they are two different kinds of pressure. For me the pressure came from myself. Me not becoming successful is a scary thought and i would never want to be in a salary based job. Not for my whole life. Adding to the other factors, it also comes from the thought of not making it and thinking whether i'm doing enough or did i waste time.

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Being broke causes a lot of pressure too.

So does being in your 40s, realizing you have X number of years your MUST work due to retirement.

So does having a family to feed and being at the mercy of a company who might sign a deal tomorrow to have robots do your job for a fraction of the cost.

There are ways to manage stress and the biggest is by having an organized system to achieve what you want. Some stresses you cannot avoid until you simply face them.
Exactly what i'm doing now. I created a system and i plan it out. Thanks man

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Spoken like a champion of the "work for a living" crowd. It is not fastlane. This forum is about fastlane, not good wages.
Exactly...we should try to instill in our heads that there is no other option but to succeed. If in the back of our minds, we see possibility of working for someone for the rest of our life, we're reducing our chances

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
I think you're feeling overwhelmed because you're not sure what you should be doing.

You don't need more hours in a day, because you'd just fill those hours up feeling overwhelmed and guilty by things you didn't do. What you need is simply more space and clearance in your head.

Write this on a piece of paper and ask yourself this:
Whats preventing me from having nothing on my mind right now?

Video about this
https://londonrealacademy.com/episodes/david-allen-getting-things-done/

As for your mother telling you to just get an education and a job... Just don't talk to her about your business plans at all. I know you really want to and its reassuring talking about it to others, but most people simply don't have the same view and mindset as you, their opinions wont help you at all so just leave it.

As for the overwhelming fastlane.. Leave the millions to the side for now, focus on just making some extra money and imagine how much your life would change if you had a business that just made you $2000 extra a month.

Last edited:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Spoken like a champion of the "work for a living" crowd. It is not fastlane. This forum is about fastlane, not good wages.

A career can be fastlane. It's a matter of making it so companies actively seek you out for your advice as opposed to you having to submit our resume and hope you get noticed. I can name quite a few engineers who work for Google, but if they wanted to, they could walk out the door and have a new job within hours.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
A career can be fastlane. It's a matter of making it so companies actively seek you out for your advice as opposed to you having to submit our resume and hope you get noticed. I can name quite a few engineers who work for Google, but if they wanted to, they could walk out the door and have a new job within hours.
Good try but.... NOT fastlane...

I don't disagree that a career can be fastlane. The income better be Mega bucks though.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Good try but.... NOT fastlane...

I don't disagree that a career can be fastlane. The income better be Mega bucks though.

Outside of CEOs, I am talking about people like Ray Kurzweil, Scott Hanselman, and Eric Lippert. These 3 individuals could walk away from their current positions and have companies clamoring to hire them at competitive wages. The only commandment a career like that doesn't follow is the that of time, but those individuals commonly produce videos and books that fulfill that request.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The only commandment a career like that doesn't follow is the that of time, but those individuals commonly produce videos and books that fulfill that request.
So, the production of books and videos could be fastlane. Inventing or developing can be fastlane as well. Using your career to launch a business can be fastlane. Being an engineer that is in demand is not.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
For me the pressure came from myself. Me not becoming successful is a scary thought and i would never want to be in a salary based job.
I get that, but if that pressure makes you freeze, make bad choices, procrastinate or some other negative behaviour then it is not helpful. If your own mind and body aren't helpful to your endeavors then you need to change them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.