The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Fatty Forum

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thought that skinnys were not allowed!

I don't understand this rule ... that's like talking about money and having a rule that says "No millionaires allowed!" Don't you want to hear from people who live a life of skinnydom and its not just a fad or a resolution? Don't you want to hear from people who might have battled your fight ... and won?

(BTW: I will honor the rules)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Not such a good start for me. The treadmill in my basement died again. I've been working out in the gym at work, but not consistently. At home, I could hit the treadmill at midnight, but it is a 20-minute drive to work so it doesn't happen as easily.

I've had many night-time appointments that have prevented me from hitting the gym before I leave. That said, I've also had plenty of opportunities to exercise when I haven't.

I've been eating better. Well, I've been eating less. I try to leave a good portion of my meal on the plate, and find I'm still pretty full.

My downfall is that my wife has started buying a bag of those candy valentine's hearts every day. These things are around 8.7 million calories each, and they just sit there -- singing my name in a hypnotic melody.

I'm weak. So weak.

Weight has gone from 214# to 214.5#, so not much change there.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Don't you want to hear from people who live a life of skinnydom and its not just a fad or a resolution? Don't you want to hear from people who might have battled your fight ... and won?
Thanks, MJ. I've always been skinny (or a "hardgainer," as we prefer to be called); but that doesn't mean I have always been healthy. Quite the contrary. How could that be?
  • I used to fear P.E. Running? Might as well have asked me if I wanted a side-ache and two lungs full of fire. Swimming? 50 yards before the dry heaves started. Weight-lifting? Sure, how about I demonstrate my weakness to all the fit people in the gym? No thanks.
  • I used to drink. I liked to have a beer (read: >3 beers) after work. I liked to go out for cocktails with my friends on the weekends. Not only was I not thinking clearly while drunk, but I felt like hell many mornings. Plus I was consuming an extra 3,200 toxic calories each week.
  • I used to be unaware of my diet. I just ate whatever was around. Junk food, snack food, greasy food, sweet food. Empty, wasted calories.
  • I used to eat meat. I used to power through steaks and burgers. I loved meat. I didn't realize what it was doing to my gastrointestinal tract and my blood chemistry.
So what's the point? Skinny and healthy aren't synonyms, and my struggle to become healthy may not be the same as yours; but it's a struggle all the same.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I didn't see a rule... I'm trying to change my body too, but if it's not relevant, I'll take down my posts.

Believe me, eating this much is no walk in the park. When Chritian Bale built Patrick Bateman's body for "American Psycho," he had to wake up in the middle of the night to eat a chicken breast. I'm trying to get 3500 vegetarian calories, and I'm ill after most meals. Hopefully my stomach will adjust soon.
(I was just causing trouble. I don't really care. Just seemed an easy dig, LOL)

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
This week's progress wasn't too bad. I had a lot of stress and a couple of long work days had me eating later than my plan called for and probably stunted my weight loss plan. I did lose 2 lbs however, but felt that my efforts earned for more weight loss than I did. (damn it, lol)

Started 1.1.2010 at 195 lbs
lost 2 lbs since last week
Now at 189
MTD dropped 6lbs in 22 days for total of 3.17lbs. (pi?)

My original plan is to lose 5-7 lbs per month so I feel I've achieved my preliminary goal yet I feel like I can drop a couple more before the end of this month. The motivation is pretty simple: I keep looking at my pants still hanging in my closet from a year ago that I can't fit into just yet....

Continued success to all,
R

Last edited:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I don't understand this rule ... that's like talking about money and having a rule that says "No millionaires allowed!" Don't you want to hear from people who live a life of skinnydom and its not just a fad or a resolution? Don't you want to hear from people who might have battled your fight ... and won?

(BTW: I will honor the rules)

The only difference with your analogy is it would be like the millionaire coming in and saying- "I am trying hard to lose all this money." Skinny people giving tips on being skinny is different than skinny people trying to gain weight.

It would be like 110lb woman weighing in with 250lb women at curves. The skinny woman say, "Oh no! I only gained 2 pounds this week." Then the heavy women decide to eat her because she is low fat and fits in their diet plan.

So my rule was meant for humor, but my preference would be to keep the focus of the thread one direction. I do think there are a number of people on the skinny side that could support a thread, but my preference here would be focus. All that said, I have no ill will towards any skinnies or the skinnies that have jumped on this thread occasionally.

Btw, beware skinnies, I used to be on of you, I used to take weight gainer. Best stuff ever. 10 years after I stopped taking it, it is still working.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
my update because I forgot to weigh yesterday-

This week I pushed myself to the limit health wise. Chemically (caffeine) keeping myself awake at day, and then having trouble sleeping at night. The cycle spiraled bad. I not only fell off the wagon, I blew it up.

So when I stepped on the scale, I expected to be back to my starting weight. Lo and behold, I actually lost more and am now down to 210. Woohoo. My goal allows for three pounds this month, so I need to gain some weight this week. lol just kidding. My plan forces me to start exercising three times this week.

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Started at 209.
Currently at 201.

I've been eating OK, and spending down-time working rather than working out. Heading to Mexico on Thursday....wish I would have started eating right last October!

kcbizwoman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 29, 2007
Central Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've been away for a while and thought this would be a great thread to join in on.
Although I've always been one of the "skinnies" thanks to my father's genes I haven't always been in shape. Around the time I turned 35 I started to gain some extra pounds and now at 41 it's time to take it off. I don't weigh myself on a regular basis but I will join in with measurements of my waist and hips.

A few years ago I got a tape measure from the Heart and Stroke Foundation. If you are a woman you are at a high risk for heart disease if your waist measurement is over 35 inches, for a man it's over 40 inches.

I just measured myself today and my waist is 34 inches. While I'm not in the high risk group yet, I know it wouldn't take much to put me there. At this point I won't be changing my diet too much, just cut back on snacking. My focus will be on exercise. I'll be using Kim Lyons' book "Your body, Your Life". It's a 12 week program. February 15 I'll start my running program to build up my cardio.

In August I'll be running a 10k race in Niagara Falls and after I see how my training progress goes I may even do a half marathon.

Waist 34 inches
Hips 38 inches

KC

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
186.5 lbs this week. Down slightly. Not sure why though. I ate crappy and didn't work out except for many many miles walking around the plant at work.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
One thing I'd just like to throw into this is to limit everything you drink to water. I started doing this, this a little over a week ago and it's amazing how much less I eat. Especially with extra sugary things like soda I can shovel down food like there is no tomorrow (2 whole subs, a few hours after eating is nothing). Even my constant hungry is starting to go away. Not only will some cravings stop, but also with the added benefit of no calories in what you drink!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
186.5 lbs this week. Down slightly. Not sure why though. I ate crappy and didn't work out except for many many miles walking around the plant at work.
I don't like you very much right now. Because I, on the other hand, ate almost perfectly. I went to 6 am boot camp 3 times and yoga 3 times each of the last three weeks and lost nothing but sleep.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
...Skinny people giving tips on being skinny is different than skinny people trying to gain weight...So my rule was meant for humor, but my preference would be to keep the focus of the thread one direction. I do think there are a number of people on the skinny side that could support a thread, but my preference here would be focus...
Inspired by this thread, I wrote an article about how skinny and healthy aren't synonyms, and my struggle to become healthy may not be the same as yours; but it's a struggle all the same.

So maybe this thread isn't the place for me, because I can't give first-hand knowledge on losing weight. But if someone wants some tips or tricks on getting healthier in other ways (quitting meat, quitting alcohol, exercising, eating well, etc.) I'll be lurking and willing to help.

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I've let myself digress, however I am actually beginning to work out and eat healthy again this week! (Of course B&P is going to destroy my diet plans! :) )

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I don't like you very much right now. Because I, on the other hand, ate almost perfectly. I went to 6 am boot camp 3 times and yoga 3 times each of the last three weeks and lost nothing but sleep.

That boot camp must be putting on lean muscle...that's a good thing!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been reading alot of posts on this thread and I have to say that I am seeing alot of excuses. Being a skinny person the only way I was able to gain weight was to make it a priority.

That means that you schedule in a workout just as you schedule in a meeting. I keep seeing things about not having time or something came up, etc... You have to put into your schedule "workout at 5:30pm" and it has to be as important as a meeting. If someone asks you to go to happy hour or to make a conference call, you have to say "I can't I already have something scheduled at 5:30pm." If you are out eating with friends and they all order beers or desert, it's up to you to make the choice whether or not to have just water or juice. Losing weight cannot be something you work on only when it's convenient.

When I used to try to gain weight, I would have to eat small meals every 4 hours. That meant that even though I went to bed at 3am Friday night, I would wake up at 8am on Saturday, make breakfast, eat it and then go back to sleep. My and friends would keep a gallon of milk in our cars (Chicago winter) and mix a protien shake immediately after a work out. We boiled 4 dozen eggs and carried them around in ziplock bags so we could have protein at the proper times. We packed our 10am and 3pm mini meals everyday for work in addition to lunch. It was alot of work!

My point is that you have to make it a priority and just as important as every other task during the day.

My suggestion for those trying to lose weight is to enter yourself into something that you need to get into shape for. A performance goal is much easier to motivate yourself for than a simple weight number.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
This week's progress was entirely ineffective. I was ill and every moment I felt able to keep something in my stomach I pigged out even if it meant eating at 2am, which I did a couple of times and then fell right back to sleep. For some reason I craved carbs while I was sick. Lack of sleep combined with bad eating habits didn't help achieve my goals this week.

lost 0 lbs since last week
Now at 189
MTD dropped 6 lbs in 29 days for total of 3.17l% (pi?)

My original plan is to lose 5-7 lbs per month so I feel I've achieved my preliminary goal for the month of Jan. Looking forward to better weather in February so I can spend more time outside to burn some calories.

R

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Well I stepped on the scale and I'm down 5 lbs in 3 weeks!!!

Here's the secret, go climb Mount Kilimanjaro, hike for 7 days straight. Eat African food which consists of mainly vegetables and fruits for 7 days. Burn 10,000 calories by hiking 14 hours in a single day going up to 19,350ft and then down to 10,000ft. Get diarrhea and altitude sickness so you don't want to eat and can't keep anything down.

I probably lost about 9 lbs, but I pigged out when I got back to the US for 3 days before I stepped on the scale.

:)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I forgot to post on Monday.
Down a total of 4 lbs. :)
Very little effort, just really observant of what and when and how much I am eating. Pleased with progress compared to effort.

Anyone want to get in on HottPotato Exercise? I used to participate but it has kinda died off. I can play via Skype or IM or email.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Hectic schedule this week. Ate better at work with packed lunches, but ate crappy at night and did not cook as many meals as I should have. Up 1 pound to 186.5. Still down 3.5 lbs total.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
This week's progress was nonexistent. I went back to my better habits that I deviated from the prior week but I haven't really excercised as much as I wanted to due to a lot of cold and snowy weather... still doing some crunches, sit ups, pushups but that's about it.

lost 0 lbs since last week
Now at 189
MTD dropped 6 lbs in 36 days for total of 3.17l%

My original plan is to lose 5-7 lbs per month so I feel I need to step it up with more vegetables and proteins.

R

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
well, I am coming off 2 really bad weeks. first week, threw out my back and was generally immobile all week long. week 2, last week, was on a business trip and ate out all week long. No self control.

Back where I started, ready to hit it again. motivation level is high

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
OK I am in guys on this. I will be posting my weight and progress in this thread. I wanted to make sure I was ready first. Since I am moving and starting a new venture I needed to make sure I got those off to a good start. I am also coming off of a week of the flu and feeling crummy so I am now feeling good and figured if this isn't a good time then I would never start.

With that said, I have begun TODAY. This is my official 'in' on this thread. In order to do this right I have started a blog to document in more detail and post pictures, routines, etc. You can follow it here:

Hearty Dad

I will probably add this link to my signature if I am allowed.

So here it is. My weight is currently: 210

My goal is to lose 3-5 pounds per week or 12-15 pounds monthly. I have done this many times before. It's keeping the weight off and making it a lifestyle change that is my hardest goal. My first stage will be to lose the weight and get down to 165.

So I have 45 pounds to lose. :thumbsup:

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Well I stepped on the scale and I'm down 5 lbs in 3 weeks!!!

Here's the secret, go climb Mount Kilimanjaro, hike for 7 days straight. Eat African food which consists of mainly vegetables and fruits for 7 days. Burn 10,000 calories by hiking 14 hours in a single day going up to 19,350ft and then down to 10,000ft. Get diarrhea and altitude sickness so you don't want to eat and can't keep anything down.

I probably lost about 9 lbs, but I pigged out when I got back to the US for 3 days before I stepped on the scale.

:)
Hmm. All things considered, Kenric, I think I'd rather be pleasingly plump!! But kudos to you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.