The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastest Way to Build an App?

D

DeletedUser0287

Right now, the most efficient way I found was to look for a Udemy course that has many projects in it. But this is just learning code. The issue being that the projects don’t relate to anything I want to build... I feel like I am wasting a lot of time learning things I don’t need to.

Looking for advice for fastest way to build an app yourself. The online courses have a lot of waste knowledge.

Edit: What I mean is that, These courses teach me to code, but that’s not what I really need. I need to learn to build my specific app. So even after going through some of these courses, I still don’t know how to build it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MBarnott

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 4, 2019
Right now, the most efficient way I found was to look for a Udemy course that has many projects in it. But this is just learning code. The issue being that the projects don’t relate to anything I want to build... I feel like I am wasting a lot of time learning things I don’t need to.

Looking for advice for fastest way to build an app yourself. The online courses have a lot of waste knowledge.

My favorite resource for learning to code has been Treehouse (teamtreehouse.com) it's interactive and reinforces the concepts every stage so it's very engaging rather than being just lectures. There's a lot of courses on Udemy though so maybe try refining your search and finding a class that is more tightly coupled with your end goal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

There are no shortcuts. Copy and pasting someone else's code is foolish. You won't know how your app works.. if you ever get it to work. Or worse, you'll have paying customers and it'll fail, and you won't know why. You have to learn the fundamentals and build something.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I know MJ wrote how he learned it by himself, but the times were different. The bar was lower. Can you teach yourself piano and play for your friends? For sure. Now, can you teach yourself piano and pay your rent by playing? How about teach yourself martial arts and pay your rent by doing it? Well, it's not like it is impossible, but you'd better dedicate your life to it, as there are plenty of people with a decade of training in piano and martial arts who are trying and trying to at least pay their rent this way, and keep failing year after year.

If you still want advice, one option is to hire a tutor. Back when I did a lot of tutoring, I've met my fair share of entrepreneurs who wanted to get a better understanding of tech. While none of them put in the work to be able to build something usable, after a few months one got to a level where he could intelligently hire developers and really check their work.

You can also try those 12-week bootcamps if you are in the U.S. and really need something fast. Note that it would be cheaper to pay somebody else for an app, but just trying to answer the question. Will you be able to immediately build your app after it? Very likely not, if it is anything remotely interesting. But you will have an idea, what else you need to learn.

Every time somebody asked me about building an app and learning to code for that, it usually ended up being some sort of a Facebook clone with videos and links and comments, which is far more than an app. So by all means, learn to code to get a better context, but manage your expectations.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Edit: What I mean is that, These courses teach me to code, but that’s not what I really need. I need to learn to build my specific app. So even after going through some of these courses, I still don’t know how to build it.

@lowtek gave me some great advice on this very subject. He said to check out the Euler project and to start solving the problems on there, which give you a good grounding in solving specific problems. Then you'll be able to transpose that to your project by finding code on github (similar to the app you want to build) and playing around with it.

I am doing this at the moment, and it has taught me so much more, or at least has allowed me to consolidate some of the knowledge that I've acquired via online coding tutorials.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Fastest way? Pay someone to do it.

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia
I know MJ wrote how he learned it by himself, but the times were different. The bar was lower.

How so? Right now is the easiest time in history to get started in application development. You have a wealth of templates, courses, and hard problems productized out for you to build off of (Stripe, Cloud Providers, etc.).

bdb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 24, 2018
If you want to build a specific non trivial app without development experience then that is not going to happen fast. It's going to take you a few months of constant tinkering. Best thing you could do if you want to validate your idea is to pay someone else to create a minimum viable product of your idea in a couple weeks and you can go from there and expand the code.

CrimsonNight

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Dec 4, 2017
SWEDEN
You might want to browse projects on Github. For example, if you want to build a calculator app for android phones, just search "calculator android Github". This way you will be learning what you are interested in. But not all projects will have comments with explanations of what the code does so it can be pretty difficult to understand them.

The easiest way and probably the fastest is to just outsource the development of the app. Fewer headaches.

Martin Galli

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 27, 2019
Argentina
Im a developer and I have spent the last 5 years learning how to code and how to understand system designs. It's not hard to learn but you have to practice and develop a lot before being able to program an App, especially because you need to understand the architecture, not just copy and paste code...

Having said that, if you are in a hurry, what I suggest you search for a developer that is willing to join your project as an associate. It will give you much more value and I think most developers in the long term want to be independent (that last part is what I think...).

D

DeletedUser0287

Thanks everyone, should have mentioned that I am most likely not going to hire someone even though that is what everyone recommended.

Strapped for cash.

Should have made the title, fastest way to build an app myself.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thanks everyone, should have mentioned that I am most likely not going to hire someone even though that is what everyone recommended.

Strapped for cash.

What happened to the other biz?

EdKirby

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 29, 2015
United States
As @PizzaOnTheRoof mentioned, pay someone. However if you are strapped for cash you need to do it like you said.

The issue being that the projects don’t relate to anything I want to build.

I think you have to realize that you aren't going to find a course that's going to show you how to build exactly what you want. The other thing is those projects are designed to show you how to code AND I'd wager how to build some specific functionality that can be used in your projects i.e GPS, or integrating with a database etc.

Once you know how to develop, regardless of the specific projects you built in a class, you should be able to take that knowledge and extrapolate out how to accomplish what you want.

Have you done any coding at all? I'm thinking not based on your first post. If you haven't, realize that, yes you can learn to code but it IS going to take some time. Don't rush it and it'll pay dividends.

I feel like I am wasting a lot of time learning things I don’t need to.

How do you know?

Ubu_roi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
338%
Jul 24, 2018
Europe

Strapped for cash.

Ok. In this case I would have a look at Flutter: it's a framework made by Google that's relatively easy to learn, and you can build for iOS and Android with the same code base.

There are some excellent tutorials at pluralsight.com. With a single month subscription (30$) you get all the courses there.

Good luck!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
There are no shortcuts. If you want to build a commercial app, you need to learn the basics for the app you need to make (not sure what kind it is and how complex).

My advice is to focus on courses that teach how to build apps, not websites that teach you to code algorithms, as you'll rarely need advanced stuff for most apps. Most apps just store and present data. You can learn algorithms later if you need them.

When you feel like the courses don't go into the real meat, build some app that forces you to go to the next level, or pick one of the apps made in the courses and evolve it. Eventually, you'll be able to make your app.

Also, decide which platforms you want to build your app for, because the tech you'll learn will differ. If you want to go fast, make sure you pick the right tech from the start.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I need to learn to build my specific app. So even after going through some of these courses, I still don’t know how to build it.
My advice to you is to set up a landing page for your app, and get some pre-sales. Offer a discount to the first people who let you test it with them while you build it. Promise that you'll incorporate their feedback into the app, so the app will develop in the direction they want it to develop in from the get go. (And deliver on that promise).

Once you have your customers who're happy to pay you money right away for you to develop the app on their behalf and solve whatever problem you app solves, you'll focus on building it. My advice is, since you'll have at least part of the money, is to hire a developer. Sort out a deal with him to pay him the rest of the money later (if it exceeds your budget) or something of that nature. Whatever you do, DO NOT share revenue, unless he commits by contract to work on the app for a long period of time providing maintenance and improvements.

Now if you insist on building your app yourself, it will be very difficult for you. You will need to learn algorithmic thinking (no, don't go buying a course on algorithms off Udemy - hold on a moment...)

You need to learn the first thing about algorithmic thinking. You need to break down your problem into as many small steps as possible. What ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY functionalities will your app have? (I don't mean what functionalities it would be ideal to have, rather what functionalities your app absolutely needs to solve the problem it solves) List them out. For example, does your app have a user registration functionality? Does it have login functionality? Does it have a forgot your password functionality? Does it have a save your results functionality? Does it have instant messaging functionality? Does it have file sharing functionality? Etc.

List ALL your functionalities.

Then prioritise them. Which comes first in the app? Well, registration is first - the user needs to register. Do that until you have them sorted in an order.

Now you need to take them one by one. Look for tutorials (you'll be able to find a lot of FREE ones) which show you how to do each step. How to do user registration in whatever language for an app? Etc.

Start building each functionality, one by one.

It will suck.

You'll get frustrated.

But you keep going.

Otherwise you will waste your time.

And by now it will be a really long time wasted.

You may want to curse your days for ever beginning this...

No matter...

You just keep going.

If you get through all that, you'll have a complete MVP app.

And you'll have paying customers.

From there on, you have to find people to help you. If you've done the coding, keep doing the coding, and find a marketer. If you've done the marketing (as you should), then find more people as needed to help with the coding, while you focus on scaling the app.

Learn about sales funnels, learn how to drive traffic, and all the other juicy stuff.

And finally, you can print the dough brother! :)

P.S. Before I go... one more piece of advice about hiring developers. About 1 year ago, I invested in a tech startup with a relatively non-active role, just acting as a consultant for the CEO. He hired a team of software engineers from India. I advised him to focus on getting sales instead of being so focused on the product. When problems started appearing in the 2nd month of development, I advised him to fire their asses and take them to court. He didn't listen, and kept going his way. To this day, the app is still not ready, the old CEO has been replaced, the team from India fired, and many thousands upon thousands of dollars later, there's still no app. Now it is going in the right direction fortunately, with one developer hired on a revenue share model - 5% (the app is in a market that is just EXPLODING!). So be careful who you hire. And if they're not doing a good job, get rid of them early. Otherwise it won't end well for your venture.

All the best mate.

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France

If you want a no code solution, try Kodular! The UI is not really great, but it's fast and easy.

THR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 10, 2017
UK
Hello @MoreValue, I understand your frustration, and I was once in a similar position to you. I wanted to build a tech product, but didn't know how to do it.

I decided to learn how to do it myself, but that's not the right decision for everyone.

The world of software development was bewildering and obtuse. Without going in to all the gory details, just know this: I was stuck in tutorial hell for a long time. I was subscribed to Pluralsight for about 18 months and was doing several courses concurrently with a wishlist of about 20 at any one time.

With hindsight, I can say that tutorials did not help a great deal. They gave me mini confidence boosters, but there was always a feeling of "just one more tutorial and I'll be ready"; the catch being that no-one is ever "ready". Having now spoken to other devs about their learning experiences, it's clear that this syndrome is quite common. Avoid it if you can!

What really did help me was actually building stuff. Something snapped and I just started trying to build a project I was interested in. I regularly became stuck, it was frustrating, some days I was on Stack Overflow more than I was writing code, but it was thrilling to be doing something productive. This process went better than I thought and gave me more confidence - and improved my skills more - than many months of tutorials.

One of my early projects was to build an API for a company in the leisure industry here in the UK. I was in well over my head, but I managed to build it.

And here's the secret: I'm many years on from those early projects, but nothing has changed. I'm just used to the foggy edges of early-stage projects. I come away from meetings with clients and think "how the hell am I going to build this?". I even tell them I don't know exactly how I'm going to do it.

As long as you cultivate an autodidactic mindset, and stay curious, you can build software. Feeling out-of-your depth is horrible to start with, but - trust me - it actually feels quite exciting when you've done it a few times.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser0287

What happened to the other biz?

This is for the same business, just need a tech solution. It requires 3D rendering. It is a product customizer.

As @PizzaOnTheRoof mentioned, pay someone. However if you are strapped for cash you need to do it like you said.

I think you have to realize that you aren't going to find a course that's going to show you how to build exactly what you want. The other thing is those projects are designed to show you how to code AND I'd wager how to build some specific functionality that can be used in your projects i.e GPS, or integrating with a database etc.

Once you know how to develop, regardless of the specific projects you built in a class, you should be able to take that knowledge and extrapolate out how to accomplish what you want.

Have you done any coding at all? I'm thinking not based on your first post. If you haven't, realize that, yes you can learn to code but it IS going to take some time. Don't rush it and it'll pay dividends.

How do you know?

I just feel like it’s a waste because the tutorials include the typical to do apps and what not. Just because I can make a to do app, doesn’t mean I know how to build my specific app. Since it’s only me, I want to spend all my time learning applicable knowledge.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Fastest way? Pay someone to do it.
Basically this is it. As a senior member here advised me, the fastlane idea is geared towards mainly selling, not necessarily spending all that time making. Spend your time on what really matters and outsource to the experts.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
As someone who makes a living creating apps, I can tell you that it depends. The correct answer is to hire someone and below is how you do it effectively.

However, if you are trying to build the app as a throwaway proof of concept, then you can totally do it your self. I will suggest starting with a native app - Android. Because am biased as an Android developer and most importantly the availability of extensive training material and code samples from Google and the community.

If this is a business app, here is what you do.
  1. Create an app description by yourself to the best of your ability.
  2. Find two to three similar apps on the App Store/Play Store.
  3. Then find someone on Fiverr for $5 or $10 to create a Play Store/App Store ready App description with your starter description and the example apps you saw.
  4. With a production-ready app description, post design for the app on DesignCrowd search for their coupons.
  5. Communicate with the designers, respond to every design that you will get, you will uncover areas/issues that you never thought of.
  6. Select the winning design and download design files.
  7. With the design and the App Store ready description, create a Landing page or Coming Soon page.
  8. Then post a task for the development of the app on Upwork providing the landing page to the post.
  9. Hire a developers and once they start, you also start coding the app yourself.
Your version of the app, is to educate yourself, whatever you produce will be thrown away but you will learn a lot when your developer delivers the code.

Now you may ask why not start the app development first? Because over 60% of development cost is spent on rework mostly caused by misunderstanding/miscommunication. You are expecting someone who has a hundred other things to think about to get in your head and develop an app for you. The clearer you can make the description, the cheaper and quicker the app development would be.

Define the business model, remove the ambiguities, get clarity before coding begins. If you don't have money to do the above then wait until you have money, developing an app is expensive. My slow lane job pays us, developers, $5000 for each of our friends or former co-workers that we refer to come work for us and yet over 10 positions are unfulfilled at any time.

I repeat app development is expensive, if you get a shortcut, it likely will become water under the bridge. Good luck! I have old tutorials, books and courses on Android development, I don't recommend them, they are outdated but if you Google my name they will pop up.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

I`d have suggested the same as @Val Okafor
Spend time thinking and describing what the app will do. How will it provide value to others?

Why not prepare a small description of your app and post it in the thread?
I bet we can help you more if we knew what you want to build.

D

DeletedUser0287

Euler project

Looked at this, and that is kinda the thing I want to avoid. This is the stuff they would make you do in school, but not have much real world application in my case. I am going through the list and trying to see if one of these things would help me build an app and it just looks like busy work. Not moving the needle forward.

For instance, learning algorithms is necessary for coding interviews and getting a job. But then again, most of that knowledge is not really used in real world application. It sucks because eventually I would know how to build this app as time goes on, but I would lack that "theory" knowledge in programming. Which would hinder me from getting a job. Has anyone gotten a job and completely ignored algorithms? I learn on an as needed basis and that is what has gotten me to learn so many things in a short amount of time.

Learn for the specific task at hand

I can't seem myself to get to do these things because I quickly realize it has zero application in my project. Not moving the needle any closer.

Basically this is it. As a senior member here advised me, the fastlane idea is geared towards mainly selling, not necessarily spending all that time making. Spend your time on what really matters and outsource to the experts.

I respectfully disagree. What I realized is why people say this is because they haven't made anything good enough. Aka they have to compensate by focusing all efforts on selling. In my opinion, the maing matters more.

Easy way - spend time making a really good product, then selling becomes easier to it being better than whats on the market and you get to charge more. Most people will shortcut this because it takes a really long time of feeding the business and making nothing to create substantial value.

Hard way - short cut making/development time. Aka having a poorer product. Compensate hard with gimmicky selling. Much harder to sell because you have less marketing points as well. The reality is most people don't create anything remarkable and have to value skew by heavy branding.

As someone who makes a living creating apps, I can tell you that it depends. The correct answer is to hire someone and below is how you do it effectively.

However, if you are trying to build the app as a throwaway proof of concept, then you can totally do it your self. I will suggest starting with a native app - Android. Because am biased as an Android developer and most importantly the availability of extensive training material and code samples from Google and the community.

If this is a business app, here is what you do.
  1. Create an app description by yourself to the best of your ability.
  2. Find two to three similar apps on the App Store/Play Store.
  3. Then find someone on Fiverr for $5 or $10 to create a Play Store/App Store ready App description with your starter description and the example apps you saw.
  4. With a production-ready app description, post design for the app on DesignCrowd search for their coupons.
  5. Communicate with the designers, respond to every design that you will get, you will uncover areas/issues that you never thought of.
  6. Select the winning design and download design files.
  7. With the design and the App Store ready description, create a Landing page or Coming Soon page.
  8. Then post a task for the development of the app on Upwork providing the landing page to the post.
  9. Hire a developers and once they start, you also start coding the app yourself.
Your version of the app, is to educate yourself, whatever you produce will be thrown away but you will learn a lot when your developer delivers the code.

Now you may ask why not start the app development first? Because over 60% of development cost is spent on rework mostly caused by misunderstanding/miscommunication. You are expecting someone who has a hundred other things to think about to get in your head and develop an app for you. The clearer you can make the description, the cheaper and quicker the app development would be.

Define the business model, remove the ambiguities, get clarity before coding begins. If you don't have money to do the above then wait until you have money, developing an app is expensive. My slow lane job pays us, developers, $5000 for each of our friends or former co-workers that we refer to come work for us and yet over 10 positions are unfulfilled at any time.

I repeat app development is expensive, if you get a shortcut, it likely will become water under the bridge. Good luck! I have old tutorials, books and courses on Android development, I don't recommend them, they are outdated but if you Google my name they will pop up.

Valuable post. It seems to be the trend though. Things with high potential of value creation require high costs in money and time.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Here are the exact steps that I took (note that my experience is not going to work for everyone).

1. Come up with basic idea

2. Interview 30+ developers about how to build the app. Start talking to people. You'll get some good insights this way.

3. Write specs and come up with the most minimal version of your app.

4. Walk away from your specs for a week and do something else.

5. Come back to specs and ask yourself, "Do I really need XYZ", "Is this really the MVP?" And cut some more. Chances are that you went too big the first time.

6. Get a quote from a dev. Have dev submit a requirements doc.

7. Look through doc and ask yourself AGAIN, is this really the MVP. Cut something else.

8. Hire dev to build MVP

9. Launch and continue building upon product in small chunks with profits

If it takes you more than 3 months to build your first version then you're probably thinking too big too fast.

That what I did. I have a thread somewhere that goes into some of this.

BTW - I'm still working on it and I'm over 12+ months in. It's not really about speed, you need to be in a mindset of continuous improvement when it comes to software.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I respectfully disagree. What I realized is why people say this is because they haven't made anything good enough. Aka they have to compensate by focusing all efforts on selling. In my opinion, the maing matters more.
That’s pretty condescending to many successful Fastlaners here.

They concentrate efforts on selling because without sales you don’t have a business.

Nobody cares about a cure for cancer if nobody knows about it.

Easy way - spend time making a really good product, then selling becomes easier to it being better than whats on the market and you get to charge more. Most people will shortcut this because it takes a really long time of feeding the business and making nothing to create substantial value.

Hard way - short cut making/development time. Aka having a poorer product. Compensate hard with gimmicky selling. Much harder to sell because you have less marketing points as well. The reality is most people don't create anything remarkable and have to value skew by heavy branding.
1. No guarantee your remarkable app is going to sell easier. Most likely you’ll still have to sell just as hard, only your competition will have been doing it longer.

2. Shorter development time doesn’t mean a crappier product. Focus on the most basic features needed.

Best way - Take @Val Okafor and @johnp ‘s advice and design an MVP. Talk to devs about what is needed to make it. Learn only what you need to make the MVP barely workable. Get feedback from your target market.

“Perfection through iteration.”
If it’s as remarkable as you say people will be begging you to finish it.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
How so? Right now is the easiest time in history to get started in application development. You have a wealth of templates, courses, and hard problems productized out for you to build off of (Stripe, Cloud Providers, etc.).

It is the easiest time to get started, but it's harder to create value. As an example, when I was learning to program in mid 1990s, I coded a dictionary to help me record translations of English words into Russian. It had grown to more than a thousand words. Nowadays it would be hard to find a project you can do as a beginner programmer that doesn't already exist for free at 10X quality. So yes, you will get started quickly. But no, that will not be an app anyone would want to use.

D

DeletedUser0287

That’s pretty condescending to many successful Fastlaners here.

They concentrate efforts on selling because without sales you don’t have a business.

Nobody cares about a cure for cancer if nobody knows about it.

The truth tends to always be perceived as a negative. But it is what needs to be said. Majority of the time when someone here talks big and some time later they post their project or portfolio. I’m like really? Poorly designer and seems like it can be done in like a month. this spans throughout other industries as well. Maybe my standards are just higher.

I never said you didn’t have to have that initial exposure to your target demographic. A seed of exposure is still needed. The difference is that once a remarkable product gets exposed, it spreads without anymore ads. Build it and they will come actually true?? Only for the truley remarkable products. Everything else, that statement is false.

A non remarkable needs constant ppc ads running and business will die without ads.

It is the easiest time to get started, but it's harder to create value. As an example, when I was learning to program in mid 1990s, I coded a dictionary to help me record translations of English words into Russian. It had grown to more than a thousand words. Nowadays it would be hard to find a project you can do as a beginner programmer that doesn't already exist for free at 10X quality. So yes, you will get started quickly. But no, that will not be an app anyone would want to use.

Bar for creating value is higher, which is why I keep saying focus on remarkability.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
The truth tends to always be perceived as a negative. But it is what needs to be said. Majority of the time when someone here talks big and some time later they post their project or portfolio. I’m like really? Poorly designer and seems like it can be done in like a month. this spans throughout other industries as well. Maybe my standards are just higher.

I never said you didn’t have to have that initial exposure to your target demographic. A seed of exposure is still needed. The difference is that once a remarkable product gets exposed, it spreads without anymore ads. Build it and they will come actually true?? Only for the truley remarkable products. Everything else, that statement is false.

A non remarkable needs constant ppc ads running and business will die without ads.

Bar for creating value is higher, which is why I keep saying focus on remarkability.
Most of the multi-paragraph posts you make can be summed up in a single word; PRODUCTOCRACY. MJ gave us a single term that perfectly encapsulates your entire perspective on product development and promotion.

He did also say get started.

Are you ever going to give the world this magnum opus, or are going to spend an entire lifetime in pursuit of its perfection without a single sale?

Even Charles Goodyear was out there trying to sell as he spent a lifetime searching for the miracle of vulcanized rubber.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.