The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook Ad Cliff Notes - What Are They

Marketing, social media, advertising

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
What are some cliff notes on running ads on FB?

For example (not saying any of these are correct)...

*Use CPC
*Only use news feed ads on desktop
*Only one interest per ad

I know the ultimate answer is to test. But, to hit the ground running and start somewhere, what are some key pointers to keep in mind?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Yep Test.

Test min 25 diff ads per campaign, laziness kills on FB.
Ideal targetting is 300,000 people to 600,000 people, big enough niche to make some solid $, small enough to stay lucrative.

Split each variable into it's own campaign, so you can track every little part.

ALWAYS place a pixel. Tracking is your Secret sauce.
Use your own tracker to track also.

And the golden key.

Your goal is NOT to make money off the bat. Your goal is to figure out what your COST PER ACTION is. It could be $100 in the start.
That's ALRIGHT. Most people know their Click through Rates and their Conversion rates, but do not know this number.

Just run some educated guesses on what may work, and figure the number out.
Then you chip away, by testing and testing, and testing, to lower that.

Keep testing until it is well below your LIFETIME EARNINGS PER CUSTOMER, which is how much profit you will make on each customer over the lifetime.

Formula: LIFETIME EARNINGS PER CUSTOMER - COST PER ACTION = PROFIT

Once your CPA is significantly lower than your LEPC, you can scale HARD!

If you need any help, feel free to PM bro

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Thanks for the info. I signed up.

Split each variable into it's own campaign, so you can track every little part.
So make a new campaign for EVERY ad? So I'll have 25 different campaigns, each with one ad, each testing something different than the other 24?

What's the benefit to doing it that way rather than 25 ads in the same campaign?

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
So make a new campaign for EVERY ad? So I'll have 25 different campaigns, each with one ad, each testing something different than the other 24?

You don't need to just do 1 ad per campaign, but campaign per variable.

What my point was to be organized.
There are alot of variables, Age, interest, gender, platform, etc

You want to hold them all constant for each campaign, and change one variable.
E.g. same age, same gender, but maybe different interest for one campaign.
Then figure out which interest is working the best.

Then take the winning interest and gender constant, and try different age groups.

The mechanics can be different, but the main point is to be able to hold different variables constant, and test one at a time, instead of trying a new ad with a random mix interests, random age groups, gender, etc which will never let you pinpoint what is the main winning formula.

That's how you are able to track exactly what works, and create the big winners

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Honestly, it's really easy to "track" your progress. Are you making money?

So many people overthink this, but I don't care what my CPC, CTR is etc. if it's profitable. That's literally all I look at. I may look at other metrics to test and track things, but so many get overwhelmed by the small things.

You just need to dive in.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What Jason said.

I dont even track on traffic source or even campaign level right now.

I just look at total ad cost for all traffic networks and total revenue per day. Making so much money so profitably that I dont have time to optimize ads but have to take care of other things to scale, haha.

Luxury problem I guess :finger:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
In addition to what has already been said:

Give the campaign/the ads some time to spend money. Don't go into panic mode after 10 bucks spent and try to "optimize" by changing the color of your CTA. Acquire some data first and then tweak your approach accordingly. You already know that the traffic source is working, all you need to do is make it work for you.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Thanks guys.

I'm not worried about spending money to test things. I expect to lose money at first. I'm ok with that. I look at it as buying data.

For some reason I am having trouble getting my head around the proper way to set everything up. Kind of what Silverhawk was talking about. I get the mechanics behind ads and testing them...testing different variables and looking for the winner(s).

But what's the reasoning behind using multiple campaigns? Why not just use multiple ads in the same campaign? There's obviously a reason, but I'm missing it. Is it because it allows you to see the data easier? Campaigns share the same demographics therefore if you want to test different ones, you need different campaigns? Something else?

The way I understand it now is there are 3 levels...

Campaigns -Based on your objective
Ad Sets - All share the same targeting, budget, schedule
Ads - Self explanatory

Seems like I just need to create different ad sets, not necessarily different campaigns??

=======================================================================

Btw, my one ad was running for almost 24 hours and only reached 12 people. I assume it could be because of low budget, not enough time, something else?

$10 a day budget
$2 max per 1,000 impressions

UPDATE: Redid some things and got 73 impressions within minutes.

THANKS AGAIN. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Seems like I just need to create different ad sets, not necessarily different campaigns??

Yes, you can.

What I do is this:

On campaign level I seperate by objective AND targeting. So for each objective/targeting combination I have one campaign. Then multiple ad groups with one ad per ad group where I test the ad copy. When I find a working ad I pause all the other ad groups and multiply the working ad group to scale. Then rinse and repeat.

I always set the ad group budget to 500-1000€/day each. I dont really care about budget, just CPA. So I control the budget with the CPC/CPA bids.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Yeah Ad Sets. Mind you, I run display predominantly, so yeah, I'd call that a campaign. Lol
Set up can be whatever you like, goal is to seperate variables to empirically understand what works

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Guys, again...Thank You. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Especially since they were probably dumb questions.

Did some more research last night, read some things and watched some videos from a FB ad course. Things are starting to click now.

I also just joined a monthly FB mastermind group. $69 a month and it looks very promising. Here is a link (not affiliate) to info about it if you're interested...

http://www.tribelearn.com/fbmarketing/special/index-1

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I also just joined a monthly FB mastermind group. $69 a month and it looks very promising. Here is a link (not affiliate) to info about it if you're interested...
Are you still a member?

Just canceled my membership there after 3 payments and not watching a single video lol. Too busy. Checked out some stuff and it is very beginner level in my opinion, but I'm already pretty advanced in PPC so maybe thats just me.. The FB group is also pretty inactive, only people posting are mindvalley support staff. :yawn:

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Are you still a member?

Just canceled my membership there after 3 payments and not watching a single video lol. Too busy. Checked out some stuff and it is very beginner level in my opinion, but I'm already pretty advanced in PPC so maybe thats just me.. The FB group is also pretty inactive, only people posting are mindvalley support staff. :yawn:
I recently canceled.

But, mainly for my own reasons, not because of anything they did, or didn't do. Currently, I'm not doing any FB advertising so I don't see the need to be a part of it. When I ramp things back up I may join again.

I felt if I had any questions they would get answered. Which is obviously good. But yes, like you said, the only people posting were the staff. Wish it had more interaction.

sitemaster

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jun 22, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Facebook Relevance Score
(rolls out globally starting this week)

10734302_948832125128342_1516891973_n.jpg

The facebook relevance score is calculated based on the positive and negative feedback that facebook expects an ad to receive from its target audience.

It helps advertisers in a few key ways:
  1. It can lower the cost of reaching people.
  2. It can help advertisers test ad creative options before running a campaign.
  3. It can help optimize campaigns already in progress.
Use relevance scores as a way to reach your audiences at lower cost.
To check your ads' scores, head to Ads Manager and add the relevance score tab to your ads reports.

For more details see:
https://www.facebook.com/business/news/relevance-score

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I heard a lot of different things as far as optimal targeting. For example some say that going after a few million people is what you should do.

The only way to truly know is by testing each item but that would mean you could have hundreds if not thousands of ads to split test which isn't idea.

For example you want to test:
Audience, Demographic (age, sex), Image, Title, Description, etc.. There are so many different combinations. That's the biggest struggle.

Right now I'm running a campaign with only 1 ad set to Female, 25-55, US only, several audiences in the millions and it's doing pretty well. Sure it could probably do better if I split test 1000 different metrics to see where it can be improved.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Alan at SE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Dec 15, 2007
What are your thoughts on scraping and targeting by UID custom audience?

It's a little grey hat but I've done this personally and have had great success in laser targeting my offer/ad/demo. It's becoming a bit intensive to scrape and constantly refill audiences so I've been relying on it less.

Any kind of remarketing has done very well for me. I did a split test between site remarketing, FB page fans, and email list subscribers, which are all in theory similar in nature and by far the remarketing converted the best.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What are your thoughts on scraping and targeting by UID custom audience?
I did that in the beginning of my business and FB efforts. Worked well for me too.

Not doing it anymore because I want to run my ads as clean as possible to have a good relationship with FB, get a rep in the future, get monthly billing credit terms, etc...

Would be pretty nice to scrape a few group though. ROI must be amazing when I would apply everything I learned to those laser targeted audiences now.

I think it has become even harder to use scraped uids since they make you specify the app where you got those ids from during the import. Pretty sure theyll do some validity checks on that..

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Scraping UID is harder and will become harder in the future.

It's an almost dead tactic that won't get any better in the future.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Are you guys split testing landers as well?
Seems to me like optimizing your LP is as important, if not more important, than you creative?
The creative grabs attention, but the LP drives your sell.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Are you guys split testing landers as well?
Seems to me like optimizing your LP is as important, if not more important, than you creative?
The creative grabs attention, but the LP drives your sell

Yes they are all important. Your ad has to drive visitors to your lander, and your lander has to get the users to take the desired action. You have to test the ad to see what the response is on the landing page. If your ad is deceptive for example, it will get the clicks to the landing page, but won't get you the conversions. It's all part of 1 big process.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I dont split test my LP currently. Reason is that the first rule of conversion optimization is, that you have to keep your traffic steady to be able to evaluate tests on your LP. Since I'm testing a lot of stuff with my traffic right now, I just have 1 single LP.

Its definitely important though.

blackz_11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Been looking into running Facebook adverts for affiliate marketing now. Is anyone successful using Clickbank etc and linking directly to the product or are you guys using your own landing pages?

Also is anyone targeting any emerging countries EG India, Brazil where there CPC can by very low?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Been looking into running Facebook adverts for affiliate marketing now. Is anyone successful using Clickbank etc and linking directly to the product or are you guys using your own landing pages?

I'm about to get started with this. I recommend using your own landing page to get emails first...because otherwise if they don't convert into a sale for you, you have nothing to show for the $ you spent on ads. Whereas if you could at least get some emails, you may be able to break even or profit with an email sequence/offers.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
What Jason said.

I dont even track on traffic source or even campaign level right now.

I just look at total ad cost for all traffic networks and total revenue per day. Making so much money so profitably that I dont have time to optimize ads but have to take care of other things to scale, haha.

Luxury problem I guess :finger:

What do you sell?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.