The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F.U. Money - this really made me laugh

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Whilst walking the dog and hitting the gym I love to listen to books on Audible. I never used to have time for either of these on a daily basis until I became unscripted but now I build my day around them. It is very much the simple things in life that make us happy or at least the autonomy to do them when you like.

The first book that I listened to happened to be Unscripted . I really wish that I'd read it on release as I agreed with every word but had spent ten years following a scripted existence before reaching the conclusions of unscripted myself. I now recommend Unscripted to all of my former colleagues and friends, I'm sure once they become more aware of my new wealth they will actually pick up a copy.

To the point..... Audible recently recommended a book on feed called 'F.U. Money' by Dan "the man" Lok. I listened to the sample and it really made me laugh, I'd recommend that you also listen to the sample of this book.

It is basically someone pretending to be MJ and badly repackaging unscripted . I have done a bit of research on this Dan the Man and it is hard to come across something tangible that he has achieved, he might be rich but it would appear that this is from telling people how to be rich. The details of his past business endeavours are vague at best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Haha. I can imagine that!

I wouldn't encourage such a thing if it was so bad. Just giggety yourself and move on. ...Nobody will clickthrough or search that because they are loyal to Unscripted and MJ.

Did you discover anything else from it? Or any thoughts of your own?

Nobody promotes any material similar to MJ on here. Perhaps you did not mean to do that, but just keep things to your own thoughts ..

Brendan

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
You've not read my post.

I wasn't promoting it. I said that I listened to the sample and implied that I found the poor quality hilarious. I would certainly never suggest that people spend hard earned money on it, I suggested that people would find the "sample" amusing because it is a poor imitation of MJ.

The fact that someone has seemingly made a living from impersonating MJ is also interesting and worthy of discussion in my opinion.

Perhaps go and listen the sample on audible and you'll understand the post.

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Discussion:
Somebody has impersonated Mr Demarco?

I guess the theme is Fakers.

Sorry you...well...did you spend money on him?

The Power of Marketing

For you to read MJ's books and looks elsewhere, as well as download something else, whilst still coming on here....you have so many streams of activity.

Why not use that to make something of value?

Brendan

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Thank you RIck. Haha, I will pass on those tips to my sister. She struggles with timing and her phone usage.

Clarify:

I AM NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP!

If you are starting a business, should you delete other areas of your life as you create?
Would it be a distraction, or would a gf empower you?

Sorry if I was unclear.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
For you to read MJ's books and looks elsewhere, as well as download something else, whilst still coming on here....you have so many streams of activity.

Why not use that to make something of value?

I read or listen to at least three or four books per month on a range of subjects. These help me to relax, build my business, help others and hopefully improve my intelligence.

I run my own business which is extremely valuable. I have made £40,000 in commission this morning, 100% of which will end up being reinvested into my business and will perhaps go to employing someone so I decided to reward myself with a little procrastination on the forum.

No offence but from reading your intro you seem to be unemployed and not generating any income anywhere. This being true, I am not sure why you keep lecturing me today? Perhaps you should add some value?

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
I am open in everything Rick. Yes I am Unemployed. For a very good reason (want to discuss? message me)

Lecture? There you go again. "attack"

This is not the board for you. You are always hit, attacked, ...can I add more? breached, penetrated, discussed, violated.....

Here to help. May not say what you want to hear. Go away and hate me. But at least you will be open....

[should have been in a therapist's room. sorry guys]

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
This was supposed to be a discussion.

I wanted to discuss if it is possible for fake people like Dan Lok to get rich by pretending to have got rich and by selling advice that they have not practiced.

I also wanted to see if other people thought that Dan Lok is indeed rich or if they think that is pretending to be so in order to obtain wealth. On his website for example he offers to coach people over the phone for $83 per minute, which to me is ridiculous.

Why don't you listen to the sample and join the discussion with your point of view on Dan Lok?

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/FU-Mon...91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=63136VHMWXP9C15J9JH8&

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I wanted to discuss if it is possible for fake people like Dan Lok to get rich by pretending to have got rich and by selling advice that they have not practiced.
He's unambiguously not fake. I recently came across some of his ancient products (last-decade looking webpages which are still live) by accident when I was researching copywriting, back when he was early twenties (his kid-looking face was on the product) and calling himself the "Wiz Kid" of copywriting. There's just too much of his old work out there, and too many videos which clearly indicate he know's what he's talking about, for him to be fake.

One of his best videos was about the income triangle of "skill -> business -> investment", which is very logical, and matches the power-law of return curves for active/passive income perfectly (much better trajectory than "quit job and launch a business"). Another great piece of advice, which is absolutely critical, that he hammers home is client selection (raise prices, don't sell to people with no money). That has helped with everything I do.

But he's made it very clear he's going for the "I'm a guru" market now, like his "Project Life Mastery" friend, because he sees that as being the path to the next income bracket. He deliberately funnels on every single one of his videos / books / articles etc, and openly and shamelessly says so.

Fair enough though. You expect someone who's spent their whole life chasing money to stop chasing money? Or to start chasing less?

On his website for example he offers to coach people over the phone for $83 per minute, which to me is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous. It serves two purposes:
  • Yes, some tiny minority of people are willing to pay that at that level. Once you hit the blade of the curve, a minor shift horizontally causes a major shift vertically. $50,000 for a day of consulting that could increase revenues by 5% makes no sense for a company with $100k revenue. But it does at $10M revenue.
  • Marketing. If he's seen as super valuable for one-on-one, it makes any price for his other products look small by comparison, and he even says this.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
He's unambiguously not fake.

Thank you for taking the time to post on this thread.

I was hoping for someone aware of his work to comment and let me know if he was legitimate. Past work aside, do you consider his latest offering "F.U. Money" to be a little too similar to the concept of Unscripted ?

I shall check out some of his earlier work and educate myself.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Did it provide you with value in addition to that which Unscripted provided? Is it worth reading?
I don't mean to be mean but you should read it first then decide whether it's worth it or not. Experience is a far better teacher.

Forrest Gump has a 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. Does that mean that it's a bad movie? No.

Yes, I did get some value out of the book in addition to Unscripted .

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I was hoping for someone aware of his work to comment and let me know if he was legitimate. Past work aside, do you consider his latest offering "F.U. Money" to be a little too similar to the concept of Unscripted ?
He constantly gives out that book for free, and you can probably find it as a PDF online for free.

He says it's just for marketing / rank-demonstration. Other people hand out business cards, he hands out his book. Genius idea actually. Reminds me of the techniques the guy in the book "Winning by intimidation" used.

One thing to remember with books: they can only observe the truth. They cannot dictate it. So if two books appear to say similar things on a similar topic, they could just be concurring observations. It doesn't imply one has copied the other.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
F.U. Money" to be a little too similar to the concept of Unscripted ?

I'm not the inventor of the term "FU Money" and Unscripted was released in 2017.

It's just a term I've heard over the last 10 years (here and in conversation) which best describes the ultimate of financial freedom.

I have no idea who originally coined it. Much like "wantrepreneur" -- a lot of terminology becomes more common as the years pass. For instance, when TMF was first released, I pretty much was the only person outspokenly screaming about VALUE over MONEY (aside from a few billionaires) and now, you hear it everywhere. Even back then, I'm sure I wasn't the first, nor the originator.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
There’s another’s thread going around describing these very concepts in a little more depth:

RANT - How deep does this "FAKE GURU" market actually go?

Even back then, I'm sure I wasn't the first, nor the originator

Read Steve’s post for a better analysis of this quote than I could ever put into words. Nobody is reinventing the wheel here, but as Steve says, MJ asked the questions in a better way that resonated with more people.

Where MJ adds value (amongst many areas) is that people are taking action because of his books. If Dan Lok makes you take action than you call him a leader, mentor or inspiration. If you read his stuff and do nothing you call him a fraud and laugh at him.

No offense to MJ, and I don’t think he’ll be offended because he openly discusses it in Unscripted , there are people on the Internet that blast his book and him. That is their excuse for not taking action and for not living a life they dream of. It is SO much easier to blame somebody else than look in the mirror and say “I’m to blame”

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
He constantly gives out that book for free, and you can probably find it as a PDF online for free.

Yep, that's how I got the book, a free PDF.

I've read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted before reading FU Money, so I don't recall learning anything new there. The author still makes valid points, and it's not the usual guru crap (not sure how Dan Lok operates now, he might have become one for all I know).

In my opinion, MJ did a better and more thorough way of explaining some of the concepts in TMF , while Unscripted is a real beast and on an entirely different level.

GWan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I personally have learned a lot from Dan Lok’s youtube channel. Not sure if he’s a fake or not but he definitely knows what he is talking about.

Like someone said above, F U Money was released before TMF and Unscripted . I think you should’ve done some research before assuming he’s copying MJ.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Like someone said above, F U Money was released before TMF and Unscripted . I think you should’ve done some research before assuming he’s copying MJ.

Completely agree with you and I came on here today to apologise at my lack of research. Sorry to all readers, I should have researched the work of Dan Lok thoroughly before posted a shitty comment about him. If I had known this information first I think that I would have still posted but I would have said something along the lines of "MJ's method of presenting the concept is incredibly polished in comparison and resonates so much better with me personally."

I watched a lot of Dan Lok's youtube videos and other bits and pieces to educate myself further on Dan and his brand. Some of his seminars add a lot of value and I found them engaging and interesting but I disagree with how he promotes himself. The red velvet tux and his hyped up website for example don't go down well with me and his first impression is that he lacks credibility. Also when I typed "Dan Lok" into google the first suggestion that it came up with was "Dan Lok Scam" which speaks volumes of the first impression that he makes on the entrepreneurial community or at least the wantreprenurial community. Rather than discussing his successful business ventures he just shouts "7 figure business", "10 figure business", "sales of $100,000 per month" and it just sounds like BS whereas it isn't. He may however be marketing himself at fellow first generation Asian immigrants and therefore I don't fit into his targeted market whereas I slot nicely into MJ's. Perhaps that stuff appeals to other cultures?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Been watching a lot of Dan Lok's videos lately and he seems like a cool guy.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Also when I typed "Dan Lok" into google the first suggestion that it came up with was "Dan Lok Scam"

My guess is the from the same people who would call MJ a scammer?

We all get a little jaded here by the guys who shamelessly promote themselves like Dan, but that sh*t works so I can’t fault him. He’s walked the walk, he just talks it rather flamboyantly.

Crazy thing in this world of lazy people who want the answers on a silver platter is that MJ could probably sell more online courses for $97 than books for $15, but it’s not who he is.

Do some people exploit that fact and to an extent “prey” on people. Absolutely. Some, like a Dan Lok are just leveraging that mentality.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Now it seems Dan Lok is offering his book for free. Got quite some Youtube ads from him. Probably opening up a sales funnel...which is odd. He might as well do that in the first place.

Similarly to TMF , I feel it is starter material for wealth and business, and Dan is simply presenting his views in his own unique way, as MJ does.

Just because one serves meat by frying, instead of boiling, it doesn't mean that its the wrong way to do it.

I listened to some of his videos, and once in a while, some small gems come up, but what he teaches, namely copywriting, marketing, basic finance understanding and so on, you can find in your own experiences, on this forum or anywhere else. But it helps to see these concepts come to life with some personal stories of his.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.