The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F*ck you Shark Tank.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Okay, if we take MJ's analogy of need in CENTS
NECST.png
, why are people going on shark tank in the first place? Why pay these guys a dime in royalty when the internet is free?

Isn't one supposed to focus on creating quality content, and the rest would come organically?

word-of-mouth-marketing.jpg
I dream of the day advertising disappears completely as I consider it pollution.
maxresdefault.jpg

Not in the sense that ads are polluting my sight, I've always found big shining colorful ads fascinating.

ads.jpg

But intrusive, aggressive, we gotta sell you this shit at all cost advertising. Seriously, like Bill Hicks would say, if you work in marketing do the world a favor and go kill yourself.
billhicks.jpg

But at the same time, if there is a great product or service, I need to know.
outstanding.jpg

Can content alone survive without advertising?
AskBrotherWord-Together-Alone.jpg

Shark Tank and Dragon's Den do it.

You just need a story, a good story.

MJ's story wasn't exceptional but it was because we would identify so much with him that his books is selling copies. He is for real and you see it. Not because he is a genius at SEO and adwords.

Why is Shark Tank, Dragon's Den and all these shows so compelling?

Because there is a story. What is the individual trying to accomplish for humanity? Where is he from, I wanna know if he is for real or just a snake oil salesman.
crying.jpg

The Investors are sure to invest in a home run and try, as much as possible, to create a compelling story before they close the deal at the end of the segment (when the product is obviously a home run, they still want to create drama for the show).

In other words, the show is just one big ad. From begging to end. A free for all where everybody gets to plug his shit. Not the rat race, the bull race. The fight for who's gonna be Anchorman in the movie Anchorman.

pcn_anchorman_2_on_set_cast_running_main_thg_130513_wg.jpg

This results in a double-hit, a win-win situation where the guy that came asking for money gets to be on tv and when he comes home he is sure to see a spike in sales/conversions. The investors, whether they invest or not is also win-win. Because millions and millions of people decided to buy the product/company the same day he gained it's ownership (the investor).

Being REAL, is today's advertising.

F*ck You Shark Tank because you hijack my mind into making me like the show, but in the end you are deceiving us because even no matter what you or the people who come on your show do, they will get to make money even though their idea sucks hard.

It's the lottery of entrepreneurs! Be sure to tune in because I sure will.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for explaining that.

Thread titles like this are one of the reasons why I barely come back here anymore :(. [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

BostonHusky

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 13, 2015
Your writing is an interesting take on how shows like Shark Tank work.

However, I don't see your point. What's wrong with going on a business show for the sake of publicity, and what's wrong with trying to get big-name investors on your project?

I've never liked the idea of "looking for investors". But, if you have the chance, why not go on Shark Tank to boost visibility and possibly have EXPLOSIVE sales because one of those big-name business people decided to invest in your company?

I like your point about putting emphasis on quality content and following up with decent marketing, rather than trying to sell snake oil with in-your-face marketing.

Still, I'm clueless to the actual message this essay is trying to convey.

Edit: grammar

• Banned

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Your writing is an interesting take on how shows like Shark Tank work.

However, I don't see your point. What's wrong with going on a business show for the sake of publicity, and what's wrong with trying to get big-name investors on your project?

I've never liked the idea of "looking for investors". But, if you have the chance, why not go on Shark Tank to boost visibility and possibly have EXPLOSIVE sales because one of those big-name business people decided to invest in your company?

I like your point about putting emphasis on quality content and following up with decent marketing, rather than trying to sell snake oil with in-your-face marketing.

Still, I'm clueless to the actual message this essay is trying to convey.

Edit: grammar

I'm glad to clarify. But first tell me. What is the difference between this:

shark tank.jpg

and this:

18-keeping-up-with-the-kardashians-season-1.w750.h560.2x.jpg

• Banned

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
I have never watched either, so I wouldn't know.

Doesn't matter, we can still discuss together. Listen to the first twelve minutes of this:

Then try to tell me the difference between this:

borderwall.jpg

with this:

game_of_thrones__the_wall_by_dirtpoorriceking-d7b707v.jpg

• Banned

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Then tell me the difference between this (without mentioning Politics, we just debating visual/media influence in terms of marketing:

hilary.jpg

and this:

madam-secretary-tv-show.jpg

Canuker

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jan 5, 2016
If you can get a Shark Tank or Dragons Den then all the power to you. It's such an awesome way to get publicity. I used to be against and always thought someone would be better off crowdfunding to get their money so they can keep all the equity. But I've come to reconsider that because either of the shows are a great way to get millions of eyes on your product.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Jesus, is Buzzfeed invading?

Edit, to the actual topic: Shark Tank brings a dozen great benefits to entrepreneurs.

Mentorship, advice, distribution channels and network contacts.

Think of it this way, you can potentially hit the big time. But there's a lot of steps in the way, and you have to successfully cross each one. A partnership with one of the shark's could potentially help you LEAP FROG over a lot of them.

That is worth the royalty cut to me.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
g0TCFkJ.jpg

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You could create a cure for cancer and you still wouldn't sell one pill without advertising it. Shark Tank may take away some Control (not really since it's still your product), but you forgot about the Scalability that it adds to your product and business.

Anyway, this thread really adds no value to the forum so I go with the [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG].

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
I'm glad to clarify. But first tell me. What is the difference between this:

View attachment 12062

and this:

View attachment 12061

I don't watch either (or much TV at all, actually) but I imagine one probably has people who work their a$$ off and still have a sense of humility while the other is a step-by-step guide on how to be the complete opposite.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland

Thread titles like this are one of the reasons why I barely come back here anymore :(. [HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]
probably encourages some INSIDERS subscriptions though.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Harsh.

Here is more scolding from Putin:

Here is Putin vowing vengeance (not sure if he is talking about politics and war, or if he is talking about this thread):

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012

Sad truth. Logged in today only to see threads with hypothetical scenarios that will NEVER happen, circlejerking about how much you want it, clickbait bullshit. Waste of bandwith

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Hahaha, someone liked my post then unliked it after reading all of your replies. Shows how much influence "likes" have on this forum. You are the ones circle jerking, I actually said I'll still watch the show.

I just posted about how Shark Tank is one big ad. It pisses you off because you know it is true.

http://www.darwinsmoney.com/shark-tank-scam/

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Sad truth. Tuned in today only to see Shark Tank episodes with hypothetical scenarios that will NEVER happen, circlejerking about how much you want it, clickbait bullshit. Waste of bandwithh

Exactely

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Okay, if we take MJ's analogy of need in CENTS
View attachment 12058
, why are people going on shark tank in the first place? Why pay these guys a dime in royalty when the internet is free?

Isn't one supposed to focus on creating quality content, and the rest would come organically?

View attachment 12059
I dream of the day advertising disappears completely as I consider it pollution.
View attachment 12053

Not in the sense that ads are polluting my sight, I've always found big shining colorful ads fascinating.

View attachment 12052

But intrusive, aggressive, we gotta sell you this shit at all cost advertising. Seriously, like Bill Hicks would say, if you work in marketing do the world a favor and go kill yourself.
View attachment 12056

But at the same time, if there is a great product or service, I need to know.
View attachment 12060

Can content alone survive without advertising?
View attachment 12057

Shark Tank and Dragon's Den do it.

You just need a story, a good story.

MJ's story wasn't exceptional but it was because we would identify so much with him that his books is selling copies. He is for real and you see it. Not because he is a genius at SEO and adwords.

Why is Shark Tank, Dragon's Den and all these shows so compelling?

Because there is a story. What is the individual trying to accomplish for humanity? Where is he from, I wanna know if he is for real or just a snake oil salesman.
View attachment 12055

The Investors are sure to invest in a home run and try, as much as possible, to create a compelling story before they close the deal at the end of the segment (when the product is obviously a home run, they still want to create drama for the show).

In other words, the show is just one big ad. From begging to end. A free for all where everybody gets to plug his shit. Not the rat race, the bull race. The fight for who's gonna be Anchorman in the movie Anchorman.

View attachment 12054

This results in a double-hit, a win-win situation where the guy that came asking for money gets to be on tv and when he comes home he is sure to see a spike in sales/conversions. The investors, whether they invest or not is also win-win. Because millions and millions of people decided to buy the product/company the same day he gained it's ownership (the investor).

Being REAL, is today's advertising.

F*ck You Shark Tank because you hijack my mind into making me like the show, but in the end you are deceiving us because even no matter what you or the people who come on your show do, they will get to make money even though their idea sucks hard.

It's the lottery of entrepreneurs! Be sure to tune in because I sure will.

I love your thread. Really cool way of writing.

I dont know you but I bet you are making a lot of $$$$ because of your advertisement skills.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Thanks, I do.

Btw you can just ignore the negative posts. There is a lot of ego out here on almost every thread. Luckily there are also a lot of very kind and positive people.
I feel a bit bad for the negativity posters, they are either in too much stress or unhappy about their current life.

Good luck with making $$$. I bet you are doing well ;)

On topic: I just started watching Shark Tank again in the evening before sleeping.
I like it because it gives me ideas and knowledge regarding business models. It also makes me happy to see people who are doing well. Last but not least, its very cool to see how the sharks communicate. Lori and Cuban can connect so well!! Especially Cuban the way he adjusts himself to each person and almost always gets what he wants is amazing! I love that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.