The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

EZ Money Saving Tip!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know "slowlane" is tossed around here like a rotten potato but habits created in the slowlane can merge into a fastlane, or at least, a fastlane opportunity.

One "slowlane" habit that I haven't kicked is the use of coupons under the assumption that it doesn't take any of my time to get them, or use them.

One strategy I use is pretty simple: When I anticipate an expenditure at any particular store, I hit the internet and type in "[enter store here] coupon". More often than not, a coupon is out there that I can use.

For example, a few weeks back a had to renew several domains at GoDaddy.com. I typed in "GoDaddy Coupons" and some popped up in the search results. I used them and saved about $20. The coupon search took 30 seconds. $20 in 30 seconds = $240 for an hourly rate. That is respectable to me.

I've been remodeling my house and have ordered many items on the internet. Again, I did the coupon search string and found coupons on things I was already buying. Tile, bathroom fixtures, books,art ...

$20 there, $90 there, $50 there, 10% there, free interest, free shipping over there... all this starts to add up. For me, I like that it takes no time to do a cursory search; I can pay less for higher dollar items that I already needed to buy.

So given the same product, why pay $150 when you can pay $110 with the only expense being 30 seconds of your time? Its a time ROI that I can live with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have done this as well. Just type in whatever you buying or check for sitewide promotions. I just purchased a sirius radio awhile back and type in "Sirius Promotions" or "Sirius Coupons"...something like that and like MJ said, you can get a 10-20% coupon usually rather easily. Very quick and can add up in savings. Don't be lazy!! haha

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Great tip. thanks!

I second that! I'm getting ready to start a sizable addition to my house, and hadn't thought of doing that. I do want to pay for everything with a CC, might as well get cash back next year for money spent this year :) speed++

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Just did this at Disney, last week.

At the front desk of the hotel, Park Hopper passes were $240 pp for 5 days.

Went to the business center in the hotel, went to the disney.com website, and got a 5-day park hopper special ($169).

Printed it out (business center time on the internet PC and and the print out were free of charge), and took it to the Disney main gate.

Saved $140 for the 2 of us.

Took about 3 minutes.

-Russ H.

PS Stayed at the Grand Californian (rates on back of door: $940/nt) for $234/nt. But that's a different story . . . :)

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Great tip! I was fooling around this afternoon after I read your post, and youre right! The coupons are everywhere if youre willing to spend a couple minutes finding them!!!

Speed+!!! :)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I do this all the time too! Great way to save money while putting little time to it.

lo key

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 11, 2008
Hey, http://www.retailmenot.com/ is a good site for doing a quick coupon search. you just put in the domain etc and it lists all the coupons and codes :smxB: its pretty nifty.

They've also got an iphone version for all you iphone users.
Great tip btw, its those people who go out of there way to find coupons and buy items they don't actually need just because they got a "good deal" who need to learn the value of time, imo.

-lo key-

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Me too!!

For hotels, flights, flowers, gifts, clothes, purses, shoes..... :)

Why not? I get a kick out of it and, as you say, it takes next to no time at all. I can order what I want/need and it shows up at my door (or someone elses) all wrapped up and ready to go? Yippie!

The less you pay, the more you get to keep - which means you can either spend even more, invest even more or keep even more!

The only exception I make is that I am trying to do more shopping locally. All of that packaging and shipping adds up like crazy........ sliding off topic.....

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
For everyone that buys domains, here's a few for godaddy. It makes a BIG difference if you buy a bunch. There's a private reg discount toward the bottom.

Sometimes these are only good for a specified amount of time, but if you can't find new ones by searching, check some domain forums, they always have them.

$6.95 .com (Register,Renew or Transfer)
cjc695dom
cjchea695

10% off anything
cjcsave10
cjchea10

$1 off your order
cjcheaone

$5 off any order of $30 or more
cjchea30

$10 off any order of $50 or more
cjchea50

15% of your order of $75 or more
cjchea75

25% off your order 75$ or more
gds0124a
GLW031908

$20 off any order of $100 or more
cjcheahun

Private Registrations just $3.99 per year
gdp0331a

Save an extra 15% on all Renewals
cjcbentld

Save 10% on your order.
cjccoupon

$6.00 for .net for new, renewals or transfers
gdp0324a

20% off TDNAM
cjcbentld

.org registrations for $6.99
gdp0335a

.org renewals $7.99
gdp0348

.com and .net domain name renewals $7.50
gdbb776

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
For everyone that buys domains, here's a few for godaddy. It makes a BIG difference if you buy a bunch. There's a private reg discount toward the bottom.

Sometimes these are only good for a specified amount of time, but if you can't find new ones by searching, check some domain forums, they always have them.

$6.95 .com (Register,Renew or Transfer)
cjc695dom
cjchea695

10% off anything
cjcsave10
cjchea10

$1 off your order
cjcheaone

$5 off any order of $30 or more
cjchea30

$10 off any order of $50 or more
cjchea50

15% of your order of $75 or more
cjchea75

25% off your order 75$ or more
gds0124a
GLW031908

$20 off any order of $100 or more
cjcheahun

Private Registrations just $3.99 per year
gdp0331a

Save an extra 15% on all Renewals
cjcbentld

Save 10% on your order.
cjccoupon

$6.00 for .net for new, renewals or transfers
gdp0324a

20% off TDNAM
cjcbentld

.org registrations for $6.99
gdp0335a

.org renewals $7.99
gdp0348

.com and .net domain name renewals $7.50
gdbb776

I usually search if i am checking out on a site and there is a spot for coupon code, but for some reason i never thought ot look for godaddy and i have 100` domains with them, i could have saved quite a bit already.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since we are on topic for coupon deals, ShortCuts.com allows you to enter in your grocery card and get coupon values deducted from your bill.

According to ShortCuts, "Links Coupons right to your favorite grocery store card" which means no coupon cutting, carrying, or redeeming.

http://www.shortcuts.com

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yesterday I used one of the GoDaddy promo codes above and saved a good $3!!

Today, I had to buy a vanity cabinet for one of my bathrooms -- from HomeDecorators.com -- saved $100.

Woo Hoo!

http://evreward.com/coupon/showx/86679?storeid=1124

well i remebered this thread today when i registered some names and the 25% off over 75 didnt work but the 6.95 reg did. saved over 20 bucks!!

picked these up for now

TAILLITE.COM
UPCOMINGDESIGNERS.COM
BREEDREVIEWS.COM
BUDDYINDEX.COM
ECONOMYMOTORCARS.COM
EXCHANGEFURNITURE.COM
FAMOUSBRIDAL.COM
FREEZERSYSTEM.COM
INNOVATIVEINDUSTRIAL.COM

what do you think?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks for these ideas guys. I credit you with a shift in my buying patterns now. I now do the search for discount codes and coupons before buying anything. I also have begun asking salesmen for discounts. Maybe we need to start a section a that includes our code and coupon finds. Good luck to all.:fastlane:

PS: Thanks MJ. ++++speed

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
Wow, I just tried this and I saved 450$ on a new Dell laptop purchase ! That was easy :notworthy:

jim501

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 17, 2007
Australia
In Australia we have a few sites that incorporate travel, hotels and some other things that provide great discounts. The one I prefer is www.lastminute.com.au which always have great deals on hotels. Another one which might have more international feel is www.wotif.com

My anniversary is approaching and I jumped on lastminute and hit hotels for that night and found a 'secret' 5 star venue (you don't find out the exact hotel until you book) which I booked for $150 which was half of what the normal rate was.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I know "slowlane" is tossed around here like a rotten potato but habits created in the slowlane can merge into a fastlane, or at least, a fastlane opportunity.

One "slowlane" habit that I haven't kicked is the use of coupons under the assumption that it doesn't take any of my time to get them, or use them.

One strategy I use is pretty simple: When I anticipate an expenditure at any particular store, I hit the internet and type in "[enter store here] coupon". More often than not, a coupon is out there that I can use.

For example, a few weeks back a had to renew several domains at GoDaddy.com. I typed in "GoDaddy Coupons" and some popped up in the search results. I used them and saved about $20. The coupon search took 30 seconds. $20 in 30 seconds = $240 for an hourly rate. That is respectable to me.

I've been remodeling my house and have ordered many items on the internet. Again, I did the coupon search string and found coupons on things I was already buying. Tile, bathroom fixtures, books,art ...

$20 there, $90 there, $50 there, 10% there, free interest, free shipping over there... all this starts to add up. For me, I like that it takes no time to do a cursory search; I can pay less for higher dollar items that I already needed to buy.

So given the same product, why pay $150 when you can pay $110 with the only expense being 30 seconds of your time? Its a time ROI that I can live with.

Good tips to use. Visited your MySpace site by the way. Very nice design and also great music. Saw you where a Scorpio (astrology). I am Scorpio too, cool:).

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just this week ...

GoDaddy.com renewals (Saved $9)

I had to buy a chandelier and pendent lights for my kitchen -- the order was $1,100 and I was just about to press submit when I did this little trick ... found a 10% off and wham ... $110 saved ... 5 seconds of "work".

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Just this week ...

GoDaddy.com renewals (Saved $9)

I had to buy a chandelier and pendent lights for my kitchen -- the order was $1,100 and I was just about to press submit when I did this little trick ... found a 10% off and wham ... $110 saved ... 5 seconds of "work".

SWEEEET! :icon_super:

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I wouldn't personally recommend store cards (as in credit cards) as the rates are normally shocking...

But I'd definitely recommend points type cards. Don't know if there are many in the States.

In the UK, I keep a Tesco clubcard, Nectar (Sainsburys and other stores) and a Boots card.

NONE of them are a payment alternative. I don't care about big brother type worries, but the points and rewards are something for nothing.

Just from doing my groceries, I took my girlfriend away to a 5* hotel for the weekend.

Something for nothing... all good :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.