The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expiring Domains

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Ok guys, I recently found a domain that I really like that is projected to expire rather soon. I think the domain would be a great investment but I am concerned about the legality of the purchase.

Here is an example to allow you guys to further understand the situation.

I live in Fastlane City and the top paper in the city is Fastlane-Journal. The name of the company that produces the paper is Fastlane-Journal. The potential expiring domain I want to purchase is fastlanejournal.com. Fastlane-Journal owns the site Journalewire.com (The domain in question is currently redirecting traffic to this site as we speak)

Could I legally own this domain? What potential problems could I face? Just wondering how this would all work.

IF..big IF, everything was in the clear with regards to above. As far as doing other due diligence before I pull the trigger with the purchase, are they a way to see how many direct “type-ins†does the domain receive?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
If the only reason you want the name is to capitalize on someone else's brand, then you'd better take a pass.

On the other hand if your company makes a journaling software application and is located in "Fastlane" city, then you have a viable reason to target the domain 'fastlanejournal.com'. But if it went to court and you couldn't prove your business existed before you went after the domain, you'd likely lose.

As far as doing other due diligence before I pull the trigger with the purchase, are they a way to see how many direct “type-ins” does the domain receive?

Not unless you can get them to put a tracking code script on the redirect page...LOL.

There are so many domaining opportunities...why go after shady stuff like this?...it isn't fastlane thinking in my opinion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.