The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Experimenting a little bit..

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
Hey guys and girls,
One of the challenges that I discovered in the beginning where the paralysis of not knowing where to start. Everything is a potential opportunity and I was afraid I could be stuck not knowing what to do even before I started.

So I decided to just take one product which could be better (patafix/ tesa stripes/ blue tack) and wanted to run some ads. Just to see what happens (since interacting with the market mind brings more than just staring at it).

I decided for one USP: if it doesn't work, we'll send you another one for FREE (because 10-25% of reviews complain that it doesn't work properly) + I'll set up a MailCheat(Chimp) landing page and then I'll run some ads on it.

Even if I don't end up doing it since there might not be a need for it, I didn't just want to sit there and cry because I didn't have the ONE perfect idea. I keep you guys and girls posted.

Here is the research I did on this product:
Soft Proof

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
Update:
I've set up the first version of my landing page. I know, I know... It's my first ever landing page, so I just share it because it looks so F*cking ridiculous.

Btw - is taking a product from a brand and just photoshop it to look different and then put it on ads illegal? Here is the original 3126666987_1_13_njtNOb86.jpg 01.png

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
if it didn't work for them, why would they want another one for free? I honestly wouldn't mess with this product because it has a high rate of it not working properly which seems like it could be very problematic down the road.

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
if it didn't work for them, why would they want another one for free? I honestly wouldn't mess with this product because it has a high rate of it not working properly which seems like it could be very problematic down the road.
Well, the idea is, that they get more until it works. Because I guess sometimes the package is broken so it dries up (so on their side they just have to wait a little longer until before they get a working one.) The "competition" UHU, TESA and BLUE TACK don't take it back and make the customers look a little stupid when they ask if they used it properly (which they did).

But maybe this offer is indeed not the right one. What would you do?

However, I already decided that I'm prob not going to sell this product since the market is very small and the product very cheap (commandment of scale). Yet I want the practice.

I was wrapped up in theory for far too long and finally want to interact with the market. power stips.png

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I decided for one USP: if it doesn't work, we'll send you another one for FREE (because 10-25% of reviews complain that it doesn't work properly)

Agree with the comments on this. If you bought something that didn't work, you just want to throw it away. People rarely want to give a bad product a second chance, even if they get it for free.

Also the focus on this "UPS" is that there's a chance that it's not gonna work. Would you buy a car that advertises "buy this car and if it doesn't work, you get the same car for free!". You probably won't because you simply want a car that doesn't break.

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
Agree with the comments on this. If you bought something that didn't work, you just want to throw it away. People rarely want to give a bad product a second chance, even if they get it for free.

Also the focus on this "UPS" is that there's a chance that it's not gonna work. Would you buy a car that advertises "buy this car and if it doesn't work, you get the same car for free!". You probably won't because you simply want a car that doesn't break.
Ok, I see your point...

So instead of focussing on the problem, it would be more effective to come up with a product that works better?

Well, in this case, there is not really a need. Since the people for whom it didn't work probably won't try a different version of the same product again, that simply promises to "be working better".

And the people who aren't yet turned down will probably go with the established brands. And since the market is relatively small (low search volume and low product cost) a fight over it wouldn't be worth it.

@Longinus and @YoungBroward it would be fantastic to get your input on this. Am I drawing these conclusions too fast?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
My buddy Ronnie bought 2 corn dogs. He took a bite and spit it out because it tasted so bad. He took them back and they offered him 2 more corn dogs.... he wasn't thrilled but that's all the offered..... when he sat down he asked me if I wanted a corn dog. I had no clue about the first 2 corn dogs so I took a bite and :wideyed::arghh::inpain: It sucked. He looked at me and laughed and told me that he wanted me to try this batch first. Sorry but your story made me think of this..... same thing, kinda. lol

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
My buddy Ronnie bought 2 corn dogs. He took a bite and spit it out because it tasted so bad. He took them back and they offered him 2 more corn dogs.... he wasn't thrilled but that's all the offered..... when he sat down he asked me if I wanted a corn dog. I had no clue about the first 2 corn dogs so I took a bite and :wideyed::arghh::inpain: It sucked. He looked at me and laughed and told me that he wanted me to try this batch first. Sorry but your story made me think of this..... same thing, kinda. lol
Love the storytelling haha :D

I think I got your point tho. When reading my last reply there would you think it's time to move on?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yeah, prolly time to move on. ^^That was a true story by the way. lol 4 years later and I still have that taste in my mouth :duh:

I do see why you want to continue for the experience but move on to something else and maybe make some money and get experience at the same time.

Florian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Mar 18, 2017
Germany
Yeah, prolly time to move on. ^^That was a true story by the way. lol 4 years later and I still have that taste in my mouth :duh:

I do see why you want to continue for the experience but move on to something else and maybe make some money and get experience at the same time.
Thanks for your time and your feedback! Yeah, I think so too.

Btw what do you do?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I do just about everything. lol My foundation business for many years was house cleaning. At the time, that's what was making me a lot of money so I stuck with it. At that time I was a micromanager so I basically made my own life harder than it had to be. I tried to micromanage an office in 3 different cities in 2 different states. lol Once I had enough of dealing with 18-25 year old females 24/7, it was time to get out. I've either owned or been a part of about every type of business that I've ever wanted since 1995. I've basically lucked out with every business move since 1995. But on the other hand, if I was scared and never tried, I would have never succeeded, or failed, a few failed.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Ok, I see your point...

So instead of focussing on the problem, it would be more effective to come up with a product that works better?

Well, in this case, there is not really a need. Since the people for whom it didn't work probably won't try a different version of the same product again, that simply promises to "be working better".

And the people who aren't yet turned down will probably go with the established brands. And since the market is relatively small (low search volume and low product cost) a fight over it wouldn't be worth it.

@Longinus and @YoungBroward it would be fantastic to get your input on this. Am I drawing these conclusions too fast?

Is there a need for this product? If so, just bring your superior product on the market at the same price as your competitors and let the public opinion do their work. You can offer 100% cashback "no questions asked".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.