The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Everybody Starts Their Own Business

Anything related to matters of the mind

RichieG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 27, 2018
I have always been a believer that everyone should attempt to own their own business. However, the more i think about this the more I think is it possible. Do some people need to be "workers"?

Lets say there are 100 people in the world ( all adults ) who own their own business. We rank these people in what they earn. The person who is ranked 100th actually loses money. So needs money. The most profitable business then offer him a job which he has to take. There are 99 business owners and 1 worker. This process continues until there are 10 businesses and 90 workers. How can this cycle be ended? Can it? Or do some people need to be workers?

The 2nd point based around this is we need "service people". If we want everyone to own their own business how do we get Firemen, Poice Officers, Doctors etc.How do people do this if the theory is for everyone to own their own business?

I hope I have explained that well and people understand the point I am trying to make.

Is it a case of raising above the masses and make your business profitable and not resting on your laurels so you have to become an employee again? Does this help drive the economy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blu H

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jun 24, 2018
Venice Beach
I truly believe things would simply go back to... exactly how they are now! I've been around some folks who simply love the 9-5 life & the "security" it offers. Also being your own boss implies indirectly becoming a salesman... and some peeps have nausea just thinking about it

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Thats because the statement everybody needs to start their own business isnt true. And the odds of becoming a successful entrepreneur are extraordinarily low.

Some people start out working jobs they gain experience, understand needs, and maybe if they have entreprenuerial tendencies go out on their own and start a business.

Others are born selling shit from the time they come out of the womb.

The vast majority need the structure and stability a job provides, the propaganda that everyone needs to start a business isnt true and for a lot of people it doesnt even make sense. If you're making 80k+ a year and you're happy as a plumber, electrician, doctor, salesman, investment banker, accountant, etc... and you have a family and obligations to support - the risk of starting a business is even higher and the incentive is not there.

They dont need to be workers, they want to be. If they didnt want to be and hated it enough to change - they would do something else.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
My wife is a worker. Has NO interest at all in starting a business and can NOT get her to retire. She loves her job. There are people at the museum where she works that has been there since the 1970's. When she worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art she said people spent their whole life working at that 1 place.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Short answer: no, everyone can't start their own business.

This is due to economies of scale. So long as Microsofts and Wallmarts exist, it's logically impossible that everyone can be a businessman. Most people will always be workers.

There is an equilibrium level between owners (businessmen) and servants (employees). As more servants attempt to become owners, it bids up the cost of capital, economies of scale weigh them down due to capital limitations, and wages rise. This in turn encourages people to go back to employment.

In a way, being a businessman is a form of social rank. Only about 10% of the population could feasibly be businessmen at any given time, and it's very hard to enter that group and stay there (consistent with the 1-in-10 business success rule).

Sole proprietorships are, however, the most common form of business. E.g. in 2008 US, there were 22M sole props, 3M partnerships, and 6M corporations (again: total of those numbers is around 10% of population).

In a world where everyone is a businessman, this would mean they're sole props, or partners, or CEOs/directors in corporations (depending on where you draw the line at 'businessman'). The only way that could be possible is:
  • Far higher levels of specialization fan-out -- which would necessitate complete overhaul of education culture.
  • Far more rapid attainment of mastery -- again, education overhaul.
  • Far more partnerships. There has been some movements to encourage this in the form of "LLPs" (limited liability partnerships) in several countries relatively recently.
  • Far more efficient streamlining of overheads, i.e. legal/accounting/financial/reporting&tax -- the world is generally moving in this direction due to digitization (but interestingly -- businesses that provide these kinds of services are the most common sources of partnerships, so it may not have a net businessman-producing effect). All of these overheads eat into people's ability to focus on their specialization.
But as mentioned, most people want nothing to do with business. They want a straightforward, easy life; and to live for the weekend. That's fine. It's just not for us.

Last edited:

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
This is due to economies of scale. So long as Microsofts and Wallmarts exist, it's logically impossible that everyone can be a businessman. Most people will always be workers.

Exactly. It's similar to saying everyone can be a famous singer/actor/athlete.

Megan Kay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Nov 27, 2018
My wife is a worker. Has NO interest at all in starting a business and can NOT get her to retire. She loves her job. There are people at the museum where she works that has been there since the 1970's. When she worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art she said people spent their whole life working at that 1 place.
My husband is the same way. I think there's a place where everyone fits in and for most people, that's in a structured work environment.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
You can say the same thing about the college bubble.

If everybody goes to college then who is gonna start businesses or become plumbers etc?

The same reason all of these businesses you talked about failed is the same reason why college grads fail. The underlying assumption was that they deserved money just by virtue of existing. And economics doesn't work that way. It's cold and heartless because consumers are selfish and penny pinchers. Economics does a pretty good job of weeding out inefficiencies of resources.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
If everyone is a businessman and everyone adopts fastlane thinking, there would be no fastlane or rich/successful people.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
case of raising above the masses and make your business profitable and not resting on your laurels so you have to become an employee again?
Interesting. No this is not the case. One instance is that some people choose a job. A fastlaner in the making. Probably started with a job that you 'hate'. Possibly applied a CENTs based approach to a 'problem'. Keeping this short. They changed the lives and impacted the market. Possibly en masse. No you do not have to become a 'employee again'. That is what does happen when you enrich others lives. Comparing to that classic tiny ripple effect in the big puddle. It touches on all shores. Cheers.

Pedro Henrique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 20, 2016
Brazil
There are people who simply cannt be an entrepreneur. And that is because they dont have ability (which can be learned, but for any reason they wont) or a mental deficiency (this fact, in most cases, cannt be changed). Moreover, exists jobs that are essential to our lives.

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) usando Tapatalk

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
There are people who simply cannt be an entrepreneur. And that is because they dont have ability (which can be learned, but for any reason they wont) or a mental deficiency (this fact, in most cases, cannt be changed). Moreover, exists jobs that are essential to our lives.

Enviado de meu Moto G (5) usando Tapatalk

I have this with a job.... no ability/ mental deficiency.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.