The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ever wonder how people end up in dead end jobs at 40?

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
@Vigilante, I was re-reading your OP for inspiration. I don't know how I missed this article the first time, but I literally burst out laughing. That's pretty much what I did in June.

And this question is why I did it (quit my job). I thought, how can I be an example to my kids if I don't go for it. After almost slipping back into another job, for security's sake, I decided instead to become a real estate agent so that I can leverage my time and spend my days helping people while learning how to invest. I have to be on guard, though, to not let myself slip back into the script just because of the security. It is not secure. It is a mirage. Now I get to walk around outside, in the fall (eventually, it arrives late in Houston), and enjoy glorious days instead of being stuck in the same ten square feet of space. I appreciate everyone on this forum who called me out and gave me the courage to do it.
Fantastic comment. Good luck. I'm trying to imagine whaf the autumn seasons are like in Texas.
What kind of investment are you considering.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Fantastic comment. Good luck. I'm trying to imagine whaf the autumn seasons are like in Texas.
What kind of investment are you considering.
We are going to try to start with a flip because I'm doing this with my 20-year-old son, but I will get something that I can hold and rent if a flip doesn't work. I'll start a progress thread when I get something.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Very thought provoking post.

Also alot of unique stories of woman or guy living modestly even mopping floors then leave 2 Million Dollars to a College!

Last edited:

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
@Vigilante , I have no words to thank you for this story. My activity for the last years was action faking, and through this post, I managed to see the destination I will arrive at, if I continue with this. I plan to read this again, and again, and again.. The first lesson I take from this: Red Circle on the calendar. Thanks a lot.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Good tale.

A key theme in this story as stated by others is 'compassion'.

Over the last couple of years of being in business, I must admit that I've lost a lot of my compassion. I've not become jaded, I've just seen too many people willingly choose to be ignorant or cruel to get their own way. I don't even give money to homeless people anymore.

This story reminds me of the times as a child when I donated clothes and food to people in need and would daydream about 'saving humanity'. Nowadays I only have compassion for two people in my life, as it should be.

Awareness of human nature forces you to mature and get a better understanding of the world. I'm glad I'm not as naive as I was back then and hope I continue to mature and grow, even if it means swallowing more bitter red pills (thankfully my bank account continues to reflect this growth hahahaha).

Katherine

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
3.5 years away 40 years old.
This is a wake up call. Can I still turn the wheel around in the next 6 months? My children age 7 and 5 await for me and I am struggling to make my business work. Can I make scale this up? Yes I can make it work!

Dopefish1337

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 12, 2017
Norway
I love when people try to counteract human nature, as if they can resolve 10,000 years of programming.

Just to give you a clue how things work in an medical facility.

The janitors think the receptionists make too much money.
The receptionists thinks the scrub technicians make too much money.
The scrub technicians think the nurses make too much money.
The nurses think the doctors make too much money.
The doctors think the facility shareholders make too much money.

Envy has no end.

For some reason, I thought of the TV show Scrubs, lol

Dopefish1337

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 12, 2017
Norway
It's crazy how many employees at the company I work for seem to love their job. Behaving and talking like it's their own company.. Actually as an employer those employees are good to have, I would not want an employee like me to work for me to be honest. I do the job I am paid for, of I'm done earlier I work on my business.. But I don't understand the employees who act like their job is the most important thing in their life.

I feel the exact same way you do, lol

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I feel the exact same way you do, lol

SO this is what I do at work: do the min. amount of work required and not to get fired. Then use the downtime or off time during work to study for more IT certs. Funny thing is management actually likes the fact that I get those certs, because it makes the company look good, and make me look motivated.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
SO this is what I do at work: do the min. amount of work required and not to get fired. Then use the downtime or off time during work to study for more IT certs. Funny thing is management actually likes the fact that I get those certs, because it makes the company look good, and make me look motivated.

Management likes it because you're projecting the paradigm of education onto your working life i.e. "if you want to succeed, you need to get these certificates/diplomas".

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Management likes it because you're projecting the paradigm of education onto your working life i.e. "if you want to succeed, you need to get these certificates/diplomas".

It is also better for me because education can not be taken from me, I can take them from place to place, it is my asset, whereas the work I do at work only belongs to the boss man, not me.

falcon87pl

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Poland
It is also better for me because education can not be taken from me, I can take them from place to place, it is my asset, whereas the work I do at work only belongs to the boss man, not me.

Totally agree. One of my favourite quotes from Jim Rohn is:

"Work harder on yourself than you do on your job."

And this is exactly what I have been following in relation to IT market and my job. During my free time I learn and get certified on one technology. This has resulted in the below:

- management loves this, they can assure customers that a "senior and certified engineer" is taking care of their issue
- my a$$ is covered and if there is a need I can change a job and earn the same money or even more
- a skill set I learned allows me to work 100% remotely if I want to

I have colleagues who do some extra hours to help customers, jump on calls with them during our out of hours, learn technical stuff that is applicable only in our company (!) or just try to be good in multiple areas.

I know this is not a fastlane but quite an easy way to be able to earn good money in IT market in 3-5 years, with flexible working hours, almost no overtime and home office available just by focusing on one thing every single day :)

BLIM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
May 24, 2018
Singapore
Totally agree. One of my favourite quotes from Jim Rohn is:

"Work harder on yourself than you do on your job."

And this is exactly what I have been following in relation to IT market and my job. During my free time I learn and get certified on one technology. This has resulted in the below:

- management loves this, they can assure customers that a "senior and certified engineer" is taking care of their issue
- my a$$ is covered and if there is a need I can change a job and earn the same money or even more
- a skill set I learned allows me to work 100% remotely if I want to

I have colleagues who do some extra hours to help customers, jump on calls with them during our out of hours, learn technical stuff that is applicable only in our company (!) or just try to be good in multiple areas.

I know this is not a fastlane but quite an easy way to be able to earn good money in IT market in 3-5 years, with flexible working hours, almost no overtime and home office available just by focusing on one thing every single day :)
Just wonder what are you working in IT line ? Because I am in IT line also mosly networking (Cisco guy ) LOL

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Just wonder what are you working in IT line ? Because I am in IT line also mosly networking (Cisco guy ) LOL
Might want to get out of anything hardware related in IT/tech, the world is going the way of software. I studied cyber security in college but end up working as a software guy, still barely knows coding but already jumped into a senior role somehow. The thought process is the same in the tech field, the future of tech is going to be everything in code.

BLIM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
May 24, 2018
Singapore
Might want to get out of anything hardware related in IT/tech, the world is going the way of software. I studied cyber security in college but end up working as a software guy, still barely knows coding but already jumped into a senior role somehow. The thought process is the same in the tech field, the future of tech is going to be everything in code.
Yeah, agree with you now people start looking for software or SAAS set up and IT pace is very fast. So what is your long term plan ? Still stick with software job ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.