The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ETHICS IN THE FASTLANE: How low will you sink for wealth?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I'm a millionaire, so I'll list all the people I screwed over to get this far:

Hang on, I'm thinking...

Hmmm...

There MUST be someone I screwed over! The Script says all wealthy people are unethical crooks, so it MUST be true.

I'll keep thinking and get back to you, I'm sure there is someone on the list.

End sarcasm.

In all seriousness,

There are unethical rich people and unethical poor people. Just like there are ethical rich people and ethical poor people.

"Wherever you go, there you are"

you did fire that chick who was complaining about her job. :D how inconsiderate of you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I'm a millionaire, so I'll list all the people I screwed over to get this far:

Hang on, I'm thinking...

Hmmm...

There MUST be someone I screwed over! The Script says all wealthy people are unethical crooks, so it MUST be true.

I'll keep thinking and get back to you, I'm sure there is someone on the list.

End sarcasm.

In all seriousness,

There are unethical rich people and unethical poor people. Just like there are ethical rich people and ethical poor people.

"Wherever you go, there you are"
Yeah true that.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
If I didn’t believe being on the wealth-through-providing-value track ultimately could make me a better person I wouldn’t be here.

I said “could”, because there are dangers.

Some reason this reminds me...

In an episode of the Twilight Zone, a guy chooses to have his financial problems solved. He just has to violate his ethics and call the number on the business card.

Finally, he makes the call and someone he doesn’t know, will never know, unrelated to him dies.

Next, he learns that card will go to someone he himself doesn’t know, will never know, unrelated to himself.

Being unethical reaps its own consequences.

carlos_

Not at the table Carlos
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
464%
Aug 18, 2017
Orange County, CA
Jack & Jill, two business owners, both sell Homeopathy products. Jack truly believes they work, while Jill knows it's all bunk but sells it anyways.
customers of both believe the product works and whether by placebo or habit, they value the product and buy, foregoing evidence-based medical treatments.
Is Jill being unethical in her business?
There's nothing unethical happening on the business side here (perceived value = actual value for the customers) so Jill isn't necessarily cheating anyone.
I would have a hard time sleeping as the owner of that business even though I realize it's the consumer's choice. It's probably a lot like successful business authors writing about the slowlane success methods...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
Don't know how true that is, McDonalds isn't ethical neither is Coca cola yet the ceo's don't seem to be receiving any consequences. Or maybe I am interpreting that statement wrong?

I get that with public companies ie banks, the ones you mentioned and so forth.

A problem MJ gets into in Unscripted is the shift to pleasing the investors in a publicly owned company from being customer focused. Ethics can be sacrificed for profit. The company can be the scapegoat for personal responsibility.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Ah ok.
I get that with public companies ie banks, the ones you mentioned and so forth.

A problem MJ gets into in Unscripted is the shift to pleasing the investors in a publicly owned company from being customer focused. Ethics can be sacrificed for profit. The company can be the scapegoat for personal responsibility.

ProblemSolving

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 4, 2017
?
I know someone who had a less-than-ethical business.
One customer sued him and he went out of business (kinda, he moved and opened new business, but it was a real mess).

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
The OP said that candy prices at the movies are unethical. I'm a really ethically minded guy and I would also charge those rates if I ran a theatre. The reason being that it is where the profit of that theatre comes from.
Also mcdonalds whole biz model is "would you like fries with that" because fries are cheap so they make the most profit margin on them, I would also do that.
Basically if you have a valuable product sell a cheaper thing with it as an option to boost profits. Thats just good business.

Packaging, preparation, convenience are all important value adds. I would rather buy fries from a store because I dont want to toil over hot oil (I'll gladly pay a few dollars for that). I would rather buy a prepared salad and just add dressing because I'm tired and don't want to chop up everything. I would rather buy something where it is most convenient in order to avoid having to make a trip to a store further away, for example 30 cents more for juice at the cornerstore rather than ten minutes walking and carrying it. I'd rather get a bottled water than drink out of a tap.

Where I draw the line ethically is being a grumpy and thoughtless person who treats staff and peers poorly. We all gotta live with each other, your ego might temporarily ride up high from just using your power however you want, but ultimately you should be far more responsible than your ego suggests in order to be a decent person.
So I'd never just drop people for raising concerns or criticisms. I'd utilise countermeasures to reduce drama flare ups as much as possible.

Conflict can be unavoidable but it can be managed ok, or poorly. I always put in the effort to manage it ok. But... sometimes you are struggling with three things at once and you can't, so... there is that.

Other than that I believe in looking out for people.
This is a world of peers and equals, not slaves and chattle.
So protecting people is a must in all I do.

Last edited:

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
sometimes I worry that the only real way to establish first generation wealth (without luck) is to be unethical. I honestly don't know if it is true or not.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
sometimes I worry that the only real way to establish first generation wealth (without luck) is to be unethical. I honestly don't know if it is true or not.
That’s not true at all. Plenty of examples of that all around.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Actually there have been quite a few active and heavily debated threads about ethics here. Not really something that's been missing.
Do you remember what they were called?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.