The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethical Debate on Product Creation

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
I basically need two products to start my online store that ties in with my business I recently started (thread here)
I'm talking to a US based supplier for one of the products that will private label for me and could be really good. I've been searching overseas for the other product I need but stumbled upon a new product on kickstarter that is a huge improvement to this type of product. They are in pre sale mode right now and I cannot find any mention of patents on their product.

This product is going to kill it and I really want it for myself. What should I do? Rip them off? I would have to send pictures and details to a manufacturer I guess. I know this will be tough to answer, but I could use some feedback and ideas
@Walter Hay @Vigilante @AgainstAllOdds @amp0193

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Erhm, its a free world. If there's no patent. Then you're not breaking any laws.

Go for it.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
What about doing it together? can you help them distribute their product? Maybe share the benefits? That way it's a win-win.

Edit: I'm not sure about how patents work, but with artistic copyright issues, the piece doesn' need to be registrated by the author for him to claim the property of it (although it helps if any legal issues arise). The same way a spoken contract is as valid as a written one.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
I would not personally want to be ripped off but if we do no protect ourselves we are setting ourselves up for it so your post has a lot of value one way or another. :)

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
What about doing it together? can you help them distribute their product? Maybe share the benefits? That way it's a win-win.

Edit: I'm not sure about how patents work, but with artistic copyright issues, the piece doesn' need to be registrated by the author for him to claim the property of it (although it helps if any legal issues arise). The same way a spoken contract is as valid as a written one.

I can envision their first win win meeting.....hey whats up why are you packin? Oh I am always packin. Why you wearing a vest oh I always wear a vest haha.

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
Look at their product and find a way to make it even better.

Don't rip them off, innovate!
Their product seems perfect and that's kinda the problem. I'll need to do some research to see if I can though

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Just because they don't mention a patent doesn't mean they haven't filed for one or have plans to file one. They have 1 year to file for a patent from the date that they make the item publicly available. Since they are just now on kickstarter I would assume they are well within that year and could easily decide to file a patent in the coming months.

Look at their product and find a way to make it even better.

Don't rip them off, innovate!

Agreed! Or perhaps you can just partner/license the product from them?

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Also, I have no idea what you are trying to sell but is it possible to position your product differently so that you aren't even in competition with them?

Example: Subway. They couldn't compete with Mcdonalds as "king of fast food" so they positioned themselves as healthy/diet food that you could get fast. Different category.

Or, if you can't improve the product itself, can you somehow improve the customer experience associated with the product?

Think outside the box.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They probably have at minimum a provisional patent. I don’t think those are searchable. I know mine never showed up anywhere.

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
They probably have at minimum a provisional patent. I don’t think those are searchable. I know mine never showed up anywhere.
Thanks I was wondering that. Now that I think about it, I don't really see how it could be patentable anyways except maybe some specific design aspects of it. I highly doubt they can get a utility patent on this because it's really just an upgrade to an existing product that there are a ton of variations of. They just changed the material of the main part

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I basically need two products to start my online store that ties in with my business I recently started (thread here)
I'm talking to a US based supplier for one of the products that will private label for me and could be really good. I've been searching overseas for the other product I need but stumbled upon a new product on kickstarter that is a huge improvement to this type of product. They are in pre sale mode right now and I cannot find any mention of patents on their product.

This product is going to kill it and I really want it for myself. What should I do? Rip them off? I would have to send pictures and details to a manufacturer I guess. I know this will be tough to answer, but I could use some feedback and ideas
@Walter Hay @Vigilante @AgainstAllOdds @amp0193
Just as a thought experiment...

If the kickstarter was being run by any of the people you tagged, what would your strategy be?

That's going to be the best way forward, in my opinion.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.