The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eskil's Progress Thread: Starting a Supplement Business from Scratch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Nice work Eskil. Question on Amazon Fulfillment....can you use this service but not list products for sale on Amazon.com? I've been reading up on their site about the service but haven't found a concrete answer.

I was hoping to outsource order fulfillment to Amazon directly off my site......without listing anything for sale on Amazon.com. My gut tells me they don't allow this.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
My orders are still slowly increasing on Amazon, with zero promotion running at the moment. I am also near getting sold out soon and will need to re-order more bottles. The last few months I have left it on autopilot with FBA because I needed to complete the preparations for my invention launch (which will be a Kickstarter). :)

That's amazing that you get sales without much work now. I'm jealous:D

Did you break even already with total expenses for supplement already?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Nice work Eskil. Question on Amazon Fulfillment....can you use this service but not list products for sale on Amazon.com? I've been reading up on their site about the service but haven't found a concrete answer.

I was hoping to outsource order fulfillment to Amazon directly off my site......without listing anything for sale on Amazon.com. My gut tells me they don't allow this.

I'm curious why you wouldn't want your product listed on Amazon anyway?
How can you be sure that you're not losing a sale from Amazon? I mean how do you know that a customer who would've bought it on Amazon would now find your product on your website or wherever it is?

I get you're giving Amazon a commission but it's still more sales isn't it?

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Last week I finally received my new batch of bottles. They're ready to get sent off to Amazon FBA, but I will keep some for self-fulfillment until I can fully automate the sales off of Amazon and especially the monthly rebilled-orders. The #1 goal going forward will be to convert every sale into a recurring customer.

I know it is a bit late now, but for future reference my labels are 6.5" x 2.5" white bopp, high gloss and I pay 40 cents each.

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
Any chance of seeing a link to the products? Wouldn't mind giving them a try myself.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jan 27, 2014
US
Deleted. It was not supposed to be be posted. Sorry Eskil - did not realize the access level to others.

Last edited:

ericj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 4, 2012
GA
Here's your problem. Your product is the exact same as every other on the market.
That is true, it is a saturated market. Though, I did pick a particular product that had just became available at the time, and it was a hot item for others! Not so much for me though..

camcam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 19, 2013
UK
That is true, it is a saturated market. Though, I did pick a particular product that had just became available at the time, and it was a hot item for others! Not so much for me though..
It's not that saturated. Best of making your own formula, private label in this industry = disaster

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Hey @Eskil, I just checked your product on Amazon. I don't know how you got away with making those claims on the label without writing that whole "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, cure, etc, etc"

I would suggest you change that ASAP, or the FDA will come down on you hard. Can shut down your brand, and even cause some legal problems.

ericj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 4, 2012
GA
@ericj Have you tried creating a FB page related to your market? I would create a page on the market you are getting into - weight loss, anti-aging, bodybuilding, etc...Promote the page with content (not your product) to get followers and run a few FB ads to get a community. After you have 500-1000 likes then introduce your product and give them a promo code to get the product for $1.

If you are selling on Amazon this will help boost your sellers ranking down the line, also boosting your organic sales. After the promo is over and people have received their order follow-up with them. Ask if they would like a discount for future orders (who says no to this) and if they would be willing to leave a review.

BOOM! Boosted sellers ranking and got a few reviews. If you do this with Amazon sells you should be able to move that product.
I have not done this. I did create a FB page for the product itself, but did not try a community page which is a great idea. Im going to look into doing this now. Thanks!

kadream

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jan 4, 2015
France
# If you ship via FBA you can't add a flyer / brochure to the shipping box and I can't see any other way of converting the amazon buyers into your own funnel
Why do you say that ? Is it forbidden by Amazon ? I know it's forbidden to give your Website in the messages (email-like) communications between you and your customers on Amazon but adding a flyer to the item is not permitted ? Can you provide your information source ?

Thank you very much.

BeGreat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jan 4, 2015
@ericj Hey Eric. Are you still making moves in the supplement industry? Any valuable lessons learned along your way??

Best of luck.

G

Guest12120

@Eskil how many products do you have right now? I was thinking about selling on Shopify but I feel you need a good number of products for this to make sense.
Do you do any media buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I don't mean to dig this topic up from the grave, @Eskil , but I have questions concerning your back-end, non-Amazon sales funnel.

My plan all along was to sell via other channels as well and so I have set up a conversion-funnel now which is ready for Google Adwords. I will first target a subset of my product's market, and I have customized my landing page to tailor specifically to those people's needs.

Are leads to the landing page coming independently from Adwords, or is there a connection or path you're making for Amazon buyers? What landing page SaaS do you use?

Further, I have set up an auto-responder to anyone who just orders a single-sale - to encourage them to save money next month by getting the first bottle free - and then to voluntarily join my auto-shipment program. The goal of course here is to get as many customers into a recurring billing cycle as possible.

How do you do all of this without breaking any of Amazon's terms? They seem to be very strict about keeping buyers on Amazon. I've been trying to find better ways to build customer relationships without pissing Amazon off.

The #1 goal going forward will be to convert every sale into a recurring customer

I'm really interesting in learning more about the process behind this. I'm looking for the gold nugget. Could you share your thoughts.

This thread has helped me tremendously! I've spent 12 long, grueling months on preparing a custom NDI formulation to hit market, and its been a lot of bumps. This thread is helping me tie together the knowledge I'm lacking.

Next step is to take action!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You have the perfect timing. Just got off the phone with my partner, and we made some major decisions in the direction of our supplement line so that we can get our damn brand on Amazon.

Thank you so much @LightHouse for the slap in the face. I WISH YOU WOULD SLAP ME HARDER (Not masochistic I swear).
Supplements? You are going to need all the hoping and praying in the world...

You should have been at the summit, listening to the amz panel. @roc pilon asked about starting and expanding supps and we had a very good discussion.

Either way, your next two weeks should only have the steps to get your first sale and nothing else really, even if it's an in person sale to the most ideal customers you can find for your product.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
Supplements? You are going to need all the hoping and praying in the world...

You should have been at the summit, listening to the amz panel. @roc pilon asked about starting and expanding supps and we had a very good discussion.

Either way, your next two weeks should only have the steps to get your first sale and nothing else really, even if it's an in person sale to the most ideal customers you can find for your product.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I really want to go to the next one. I've been trying to get to the Summit for awhile, but I'm only now becoming "of age" for these events.

I'm on it. Mind if I PM you once I land that first one?

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Eskil, do you sell in / ship to the UK?

Does your product contain K2? K2 Mk4 causes issues for me (burst blood vessels and causes DVT) though it might have been the brand.

Thanks

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Eskil, do you sell in / ship to the UK?

Does your product contain K2? K2 Mk4 causes issues for me (burst blood vessels and causes DVT) though it might have been the brand.

Thanks

No I am not selling this outside the UK. I know several European countries are pretty strict with regulations when it comes to supplements, but every barrier to entry could also be an opportunity. And no my product doesn't contain K2.

Sequential

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 8, 2017
UK
Sorry I mean do you sell this in the UK? Aka can I buy some? I asked about K2 as it bursts blood vessels for me, sadly.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Alright, the time has come! This will be my progress thread for a new Fastlane business I am starting – a nutritional supplement product/business. I will do my best to post here with updates on what I am doing. Hopefully this can become another thread that others can learn from (whether they are getting into the supplement business or not), and perhaps I can get your guys’ thoughts and inputs here on some things along the way.

Let me first clarify what I am going to be doing. When I say “nutritional supplement business” I mean that I will develop first one, and eventually more, nutritional supplement products under my own brand. The brand will be focused on general health – in the life-extension, general health improvement, anti-aging, multi-vitamin market. But instead of trying to be another cookie-cutter A,B,C,D,E multivitamin, my first product will approach this with a slight twist…

The product will be a 100% all-natural, nutritional supplement – and not “yet another multivitamin”. It will contain 7 main active ingredients and one or two supporting ingredients for increased efficiency.

leveanprofile.jpg

The seven active ingredients are a powerful pack of already widely known, true and tested ingredients that all have been proven to actually improve overall health in various different ways. These ingredients are already selling well in the supplement market today – but usually sold separately under generic brands.
My USP is that I offer these altogether in one convenient, daily dose. :)

Ingredient #1
Anti-aging / Heart health and cardiovascular benefits / May slow the onset of Alzheimer's disease.
It is also believed to reduce inflammation, and to give your immune system a healthy boost.

Ingredient #2
The strongest anti-oxidant found in nature. Anti-aging / Promotes heart health and cardiovascular benefits / Believed to inhibit or slow certain forms of cancer.

Ingredient #3
Heart health / Blood pressure / Anti-aging / Parkinsons disease, and more. Widely known for its positive effects in the human cardiovascular system. This ingredient is actually an enzyme that already exists in our bodies - but deteriorates as we get older. Maintaining stable levels of this ingredient has proven to be a great way of keeping your body healthy longer.

Ingredient #4
Anti-aging / Lowers cholesterol / Lowers bacterial growth / Reduces arthritic and digestive inflammation / Skin health. This ingredient has been used in Eastern traditional food and medicine for over 1000 years. There is no doubting this ingredient’s many benefits, and a daily intake of it may contribute to your health in more than one way.

Ingredient #5
Anti-aging / Heart health / Immune strength. This ingredient has been clinically proven in studies to directly benefit heart health. It is also an essential nutrient that the cells in our bodies depend on in order to extend their own natural lifespan.

Ingredient #6
Blood pressure regulator / Anti-aging / Clinically proven weightloss aid / Bone mass increase / Nerve damage repair (Parkinson's disease).

Ingredient #7
Diabetes and blood sugar aid / Blood pressure regulator / Lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol, while increasing HDL (good) cholesterol / Increase lean body mass

This Fastlane business fulfills all the N.E.C.T.S commandments:

Need: The supplement industry is a $30 Billion+ industry in the U.S. alone, and is grown steadily. With increased private health-insurance and medical care costs, people are seeking their own ways to do preventive care through vitamins, supplements, diet, and exercise. Now, before I go full steam ahead with this first product – my first test will be to verify that the market actually NEEDS and wants my formula. Because I know that as useful as the product may seem in theory – only the market can tell me for sure. So my first big step now is to set up a presell page to collect leads, and also to get a very small batch manufactured for cheap that I can send out to the first buyers for some feedback, after they have tested it. :)

Entry: Even though in theory, “anyone” can have a supplement made – it still takes significant work, determination, and some financial investment to research the production of a nutritional supplement and get it off the ground properly to market. I have already spent a few months doing research for my ingredients to find the right combinations, market needs, benefits, correct daily dosages of each, etc.

Control: I will be almost entirely in control of every aspect of this business. The only thing somewhat out of my control would be depending on manufacturer’s for the actual production – but my ingredients are common enough to where if one manufacturer were to fail on delivery – there are plenty of other manufacturer’s to choose from.

Scale: The Need also delivers the Scale here. I will start out with direct online sales, but my goal is to enter retail chains when I have reached a comfortable sales volume level online.

Time: There is definitely high enough margins here for me to automate this business. I will be mostly in control to start, but the plan of course is to gradually outsource every element of the business – from customer support, distribution, sales, and eventually management.

Wish me luck guys...

Hi Eskil.

I have an idea for a supplement that is fairly simple, but I have not been able to find these specific ingredients together.

I was wondering if you could recommend a supplement development company (basically, someone to formulate this supplement out of my required ingredients) or if you have any tips on how to find a legitimate company that does this.

Any advice that you can provide will be more than appreciated! :)

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA

Please SEARCH before posting.