The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eric from Erics Cheesecakes

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
how about some type of youtube video? that's way to drive free traffic to your website.

Traffic from YouTube is pointless if he's only selling at pizza shops in NC.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I was thinking more for when he extends his geographic reach, if he ends up doing so. I should have clarified though.

No I agree. If someone's willing to pay $100 to ship a cheesecake, he should be doing it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
I wouldn't think he made it on the 28th because you generally don't want to ship refrigerated food on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday in case it doesn't get delivered before the weekend and stays in the mailbox for a few extra days. He most likely baked it during the weekend and intended to ship it yesterday. I could be wrong though.
Company Policy is that there is a 2 day/48 hr turnover for every customer from the day of the order, no matter who they are or how much they spend. That is across the board. Reason being that cheesecake has to bake, cool, refrigerate several hours before de-panning and then frozen solid before any shipping can be started. A customer will never be shipped a refrigerated cheesecake. It must be frozen. Ship day could have been Wednesday for Thursday-Friday. However customer advised that the place of delivery would be closed on Friday and asked to have it shipped on Monday for Tuesday. On Monday all shipping facilities was closed. Therefore forcing me to ship on Tuesday and making appropriate adjustments for a Wednesday delivery and customer satisfaction, at approximately 3:00 pm

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
No I agree. If someone's willing to pay $100 to ship a cheesecake, he should be doing it.
I did, and it has been shipped.
-1 for foresight
+2 for good customer service

Question is, will he do this for every customer or just forum users.
All customers are treated equal. However, shipping is not a portion of the business that l have. It has not been since started. Alot of preparation and purchasing had to be made to make this happen, that is not a part of the budget that is used to run the business. Therefore in the future and until shipping is added, tested, functions efficiently and perfected, this will be the only shipping order going out.
So to answer your question, at this time, yes, just a forum user.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
@ZCP - I just want to say thank you for your mentorship of @Ericito because basically that is what you've been doing through this thread and you've been doing it for free and without any want for credit and thanks.

Anyone at the start of their business should pay attention to what ZCP is doing here. I know personally I'd have got to success a lot faster with someone like this guiding me.
It is appreciated, and even though timing and finances were way off, it was pulled off....Barely

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
What I'm interested is what is your next step after this @Ericito? Are you looking to build on the one sale by post and do more? If you're not keen to have people at your home (understandable) then this might be the way forward? Or are you going to look to get more local stores stocking it.

What's the next big goals?

If you are thinking of doing Facebook or Instagram ads, my advice would be to go with video ads. They cost a lot less. Make the first one just showing off your cheesecakes out to the whole of your local area and then from that run engagement ads based on 25% watched focused on the sale. The 25% makes sure they're more qualified meaning you're not wasting money selling to people who couldn't care less about cheesecakes.
As previously posted, 2 new cheesecake products was launched 2 weeks ago for street sales only. Cheesecake Pops and Mini Cheesecake Pops. That is were the focus has been recently. Slightly moving away from whole cheesecakes and moving into single sales of the chocolate dipped slices and minis.
The goal is to have Mini Cheesecake Pops in every Starbucks internationally. That is the goal, but it starts small. So at the moment the focus is the get this product out there and get people to go frenzy over Chocolate covered cheesecake slices in various flavors. No the whole cakes are not being discontinued, but will not be advertised as much, until stats on the slices and minis come back.
Dreaming has to be big. Big goals start of small.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Traffic from YouTube is pointless if he's only selling at pizza shops in NC.
Its only been 2 weeks. Got to start somewhere and where it is allowed to sell for free. Time has to be given to see how it grows. One day at at a time. No rushing into anything. Baby steps.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I received this note from Eric yesterday:
Good Afternoon,
Just wanted to inform you that the package is on its way.
UPS Tracking #.......
The invoice is under your shipping address. Please remove carefully and not to cut the middle of the label.
Upon arrival, please check the packaging to see:
1 - if there is still dry ice
2 - if no dry ice, is the cake still solid
3 - how the condition of the box and if there is any damage
4 - if all inside meets your standards of shipping

Thank you so much.
Please enjoy the cake. Feedback is also important.
Its was a pleasure doing business with you.
Eric

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Package Arrived!
20170906_113641.gif

Opened the box:
20170906_113849.gif
Carefully cut the top holding the top on:
20170906_113935.gif
Dug in to find the cheesecake:
20170906_114004.gif
Pulled the cheesecake out, it slipped in the bag it was in:
20170906_114031.gif

Opened it up:
20170906_114127.gif

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Not bad. Little moisture. Little crack in it from being sideways.

What I did NOT get is what to do now. How do I prepare it for optimum consumption?? Warm it up? Put it in the fridge? Cut it and put it on a plate?

Let me know!

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Not bad. Little moisture. Little crack in it from being sideways.

What I did NOT get is what to do now. How do I prepare it for optimum consumption?? Warm it up? Put it in the fridge? Cut it and put it on a plate?

Let me know!
With sincere apologies. Instructions on how to thaw and serve a cheesecake have never been provide. Since shipping is not a part of the regular operations. Not having done this on a regular basis, instructions on serving were not included. Again, sincere apologies. Its a learning experience.
However, its a frozen cheesecake. DO NOT WARM UP!!! Allow to thaw in the refrigerator over night or at room temperature for about 1.5 hrs. But keep cold. You can cut it in portions. Very sharp and heated knife. Cut to the center and down to cut through the crust. Remove the first slice and the other cuts and slices will be easier to remove. Should serve 12-16.
Serve with coffee or the beverage of choice.
Please enjoy the experience.

Last edited:

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Didn't you need to test your shipping anyway?
Not at this time. Was not a part of the program.....Yet. Have done it before with the proper shipping equipment. Worked well, but was still not introduced, due to lack customer demands. The was not how l wanted to incorporate it. However, it arrived in good shape, despite the rough shipping.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I apologize. I have never had to provide instructions on how to thaw and serve a cheesecake. Remember, shipping is not a part of the operations.....
Seems like another missed opportunity. You made the reply about you. As if you did the customer a favor.

Eric, answer these questions...... did you do the customer (me) a favor by shipping them (me) a cheesecake? Was it a big hassle and cost money and you are just glad it is over? You don't need this stress and are you just glad it is over and hope no one else orders one to be shipped? You are doing the best you can and have all these limits and obstacles and a mountain of things to overcome......

Based on your replies and our dm's, this if the vibe you are projecting. Is this where you are?

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Seems like another missed opportunity. You made the reply about you. As if you did the customer a favor.

Eric, answer these questions...... did you do the customer (me) a favor by shipping them (me) a cheesecake? Was it a big hassle and cost money and you are just glad it is over? You don't need this stress and are you just glad it is over and hope no one else orders one to be shipped? You are doing the best you can and have all these limits and obstacles and a mountain of things to overcome......

Based on your replies and our dm's, this if the vibe you are projecting. Is this where you are?
With sincere apologies. Instructions on how to thaw and serve a cheesecake have never been provide. Since shipping is not a part of the regular operations. Not having done this on a regular basis, instructions on serving were not included. Again, sincere apologies. Its a learning experience for future knowledge.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Ericito Not putting in instructions was no big deal. You'll know next time. You still have training wheels on this thing. Keep at it.

The missed opportunity I spoke of was your reply to me in this thread. Each reply seems to be 'Eric centered'. Am just trying to get you to answer 'customer centered'. In some way I am trying to chip into your mindset to get you so see things differently and begin to focus on the customer. Make them feel special and they will come back (with friends).

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Eric, answer these questions...... did you do the customer (me) a favor by shipping them (me) a cheesecake?

This is a little confusing to me. If you are fulfilling the customer's need / solving their problem. Isn't that providing value? And, don't you want the customer to feel as if you are doing them a favor. Then this is customer based... right?

Last edited:

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
With sincere apologies. Instructions on how to thaw and serve a cheesecake have never been provide. Since shipping is not a part of the regular operations. Not having done this on a regular basis, instructions on serving were not included. Again, sincere apologies. Its a learning experience.
However, its a frozen cheesecake. DO NOT WARM UP!!! Allow to thaw in the refrigerator over night or at room temperature for about 1.5 hrs. But keep cold. You can cut it in portions. Very sharp and heated knife. Cut to the center and down to cut through the crust. Remove the first slice and the other cuts and slices will be easier to remove. Should serve 12-16.
Serve with coffee or the beverage of choice.
Please enjoy the experience.
Definitely a powerful learning experience.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
.... did you do the customer (me) a favor by shipping them (me) a cheesecake?
This is a little confusing to me. If you are fulfilling the customer's need / solving their problem. Isn't that providing value? And, don't you the customer to feel as if you are doing them a favor. Then this is customer based... right?
If you are customer centric, you see it as an opportunity to solve a problem for a client. You don't bring it up that you are going out of your way. You thank them for the opportunity and make sure their experience was first rate. You focus on them, not 'I'.

Eric's correspondence to me continually brought up his side of things and made it seem as if I was making him go out of his way. As a customer, I was made to feel as if I did something wrong and this was a great imposition. ..... It was like I was in one of those snooty restaurants that tries to make you feel like you should be honored just to get to eat there instead of they should be honored to get my business..... Anytime you make the client feel bad, they will eventually go somewhere else. [This is the main thing I am trying to get across to Eric.]

Provide really great service and move the world for your customer. Then charge them an arm and a leg and have them thank you for it. Be the hero and they will tell everyone they know. It all comes down to the words you choose and how you present things to the customer.

I hope @Ericito gets three things from this:
- make the customer feel important, welcomed, and appreciated
- plan for things beyond your control
- you can find a way if you put your mind to it

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Ericito You're doing a great job of taking feedback and improving. Great job. I know this thread can be tough on you sometimes, but keep it up.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Rep+ to OP!
This thread could have been in INSIDERS lol...it's amazingly good although most of us here aren't bakers to begin with.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
If you are customer centric, you see it as an opportunity to solve a problem for a client. You don't bring it up that you are going out of your way. You thank them for the opportunity and make sure their experience was first rate. You focus on them, not 'I'.

Eric's correspondence to me continually brought up his side of things and made it seem as if I was making him go out of his way. As a customer, I was made to feel as if I did something wrong and this was a great imposition. ..... It was like I was in one of those snooty restaurants that tries to make you feel like you should be honored just to get to eat there instead of they should be honored to get my business..... Anytime you make the client feel bad, they will eventually go somewhere else. [This is the main thing I am trying to get across to Eric.]

Provide really great service and move the world for your customer. Then charge them an arm and a leg and have them thank you for it. Be the hero and they will tell everyone they know. It all comes down to the words you choose and how you present things to the customer.

I hope @Ericito gets three things from this:
- make the customer feel important, welcomed, and appreciated
- plan for things beyond your control
- you can find a way if you put your mind to it
I must learn to go out of my way and keep it personal, and never reveal that to the customer.
Lesson learned. So new, but no excuse. Customer satisfaction is the primary reason a business can survive. Negativity causes dissatisfaction and eventually loss of business.
Definitely ways to go, but learning alot along the way.
Thanks again

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.