The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Energy, and how to get it when you're running low?

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I have some great stuff on my schedule this year, but there's some invisible road block which is sucking my energy and I don't know what it is. I wake up tired, I put off tasks which relate directly to my future success, and I feel like I'm getting nothing done!

How do you guys perform at your peak? How do you boost your own energy levels?

Daniel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Well, I for myself have to accept that there are highs and lows. Sometimes I absolutely can´t manage to pull myself out of a low, but I know the same time, that I can just sit it out. It never lasts quite long and after a while I´m back on the positive side again. None the less beeing in the low is no fun at all. At least I know, that it is just temporay (Of course the opposite applies as well: After a high there will always be a low again).

However, I get energy when doing and actively enjoying something positive just for myself: Sports, playing with my daughter, a contemplating walk in the park when I actually don´t have the time for it, or listening to powerfull, optimistic heavy metal :icon_super:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
This breaks my new healthy eating lifestyle, but when I need an energy boost, nothing beats mountain dew. My thoughts are more clear, I get more done, and I am in a better mood. (sound like a drug)

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
For me there are three ways listening to music

First is active listening mainly to my own collection that I built over the last 20 years. When I need reassurance, need energy or just need to find to myself, I take my headphones in the evening and switch into my provate world of music for about two hours. There are pieces which bring such emotional memories, that I will profit from that my whole life, I guess. Anger, fear, loneliness, fun, energy, rage, thankfullness, tranquility, ... there is everything in music. This is taking music serious, enjoying it instead of just consuming. And by carefully choosing the playlist, I can change my mood for the better. I´ll doubt that the artists are widely known (or accepted, haha): Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, Knorkator, Tursias, Manowar, even Tenacious D and many many more when it comes to Metal which is suited best for gaining energy, but that is just 20% in my collection. I tend to believe that this reflects my innermost self quite well.

The second way is listening to internet radio streams (Pandora, last.fm and so on) while doing boring paperwork and the like. There is so much music to explore in every style you never imagined, it is fantastic. I like to explore music far away from mainstream and if something catches my attention, I write it down, surf a little on Amazon etc and buy the record in the end. Of course this takes a lot of time.

And if that doesn´t help I do enjoy life music in irish pubs with a bunch of friends.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I have some great stuff on my schedule this year, but there's some invisible road block which is sucking my energy and I don't know what it is. I wake up tired, I put off tasks which relate directly to my future success, and I feel like I'm getting nothing done!

Daniel.

Daniel, just from what you've written here, it almost sounds like you have mixed feelings about moving forward on your path.

Sometimes the self-sabotage comes because we don't know if it's really okay to be rich (tall poppy) or maybe because we don't think we're worthy (women especially get this issue).

I might be completely off base here - it's just based on my experience with others through my business and seminars.

Here's an exercise to do: Take a piece of paper and complete each sentence 10 times.

Rich people are _________________.

Money is _________________.

Do it as quick as you can, without thinking as you do it. Just write whatever pops in your head.

Now, look at the answers. Are most of them negative? "Rich people are greedy. Rich people are crooks. etc.." If so, you've probably found your invisible road block.

You'll need to clear the road block to move forward. If you follow some of the other excellent suggestions (B-12 especially), you'll actually put more power in the road block because that's all in your head too. So, the road block has to go if you want to move.

LMK if any of that rings true for you. I'm shooting in the dark here because I can't see you when you talk about it - so I can't see the body language. (By the way, if someone is experienced in NLP, ask them to observe you when you talk about it. You'll probably give it away with hand gestures and they can tell you what's stopping you)

I remember in another thread where you talked about some amazing ideas you'd come up with for combining business and social causes. You have fantastic talent and skills, holding that all inside and not moving forward is a crime.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
[off_topic]
Diane, you've been reading about NLP, huh? I've been listening to some tapes about it, very interesting stuff.
[/off_topic]

I do 'suffer' the same every now and then. How do I overcome that? I define a list of tasks that need to be completed, and do at least one, first thing in the morning, so at least for that day something gets done. Also make sure the tasks are very simple ('call lawyer and ask that question'; 'setup appointment with CPA for business structure'; 'open business bank account'), otherwise the tasks may be too overwhelming and you can scare yourself off the high mountain y have to climb.

And yes, Mountain Dew rocks! I used to drink it a lot more when coding web applications on a daily basis.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007

The most effective thing I've found to keep my energy level up is regular exercise. I do some kind of mild cardiovascular exercise at least every other day. This used to be jogging outside or on a treadmill. Lately it's been riding a bike. I go for 30-45 minutes at least every other day -- not knocking myself out, just enough to keep my heart rate up and my breathing a little heavy the whole time. I can notice a huge difference in my energy level and how much I get done depending on whether or not I've been putting in the exercise time. I also enjoy using the time while I'm jogging or biking to brainstorm or think through a tough decision.

Here's an exercise to do: Take a piece of paper and complete each sentence 10 times.

Rich people are _________________.

Money is _________________.

Do it as quick as you can, without thinking as you do it. Just write whatever pops in your head.

Now, look at the answers. Are most of them negative? "Rich people are greedy. Rich people are crooks. etc.." If so, you've probably found your invisible road block.

For anyone with a tendency toward these types of feelings I highly recommend reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. It's a fictional novel, but it explores this type of thinking and thoroughly debunks it. It's a huge book, and a little slow in places, but overall one of my favorite books of all time. Reading it was a big turning point in my life. I don't agree 100% with all of the points made in the book, but most of it is right on and very motivational and life-affirming for people like us who are in or strive to be in the fast lane.

I think it should be required reading for everyone who fails Diane's "Rich people are _____. Money is _______" test, and highly recommended reading for everyone else! :D

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
The most effective thing I've found to keep my energy level up is regular exercise. I do some kind of mild cardiovascular exercise at least every other day. This used to be jogging outside or on a treadmill. Lately it's been riding a bike. I go for 30-45 minutes at least every other day -- not knocking myself out, just enough to keep my heart rate up and my breathing a little heavy the whole time. I can notice a huge difference in my energy level and how much I get done depending on whether or not I've been putting in the exercise time. I also enjoy using the time while I'm jogging or biking to brainstorm or think through a tough decision.

I agree with John. Physical exercise keeps me up and running! (pun intended)

Alot of it probably has to do with your diet- getting your proper amounts of carbs/protein/calories.

I feel supercharged after a workout and a nice big 4oz fat free chicken breast. Not to mention it relieves stress which is always good. Lastly, after getting exercise your body feels all nice and relaxed which keeps me from getting impatient and helps me to stay focused on what i'm doing

Ryan

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
ONE MAN : TONY ROBBINS.

That is all i can input. Everytime I'm low on energy or feel like I can't do something, just listen to his CD "Awaken the Giant Within"

SERIOUSLY IT WORKS.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Momentum in any area is crucial. If you are feeling unmotivated, it is generally because your momentum is slowing down (or has stopped altogther!). Like Andviv said, break the big tasks into smaller ones. For example, if you want to lose 20 pounds, start off IMMEDIATELY by taking action (Tony Robbing principal). Drink a glass of water, eat an apple for lunch instead of a bag of chips, go for a 5 minute walk- something, anything- as long as you are taking action in the direction you want to head.

Of course, there are external motivators- Tony Robbins, music, friends, journaling (maybe that's more internal). Ask yourself how you've been successful in other areas of your life, and apply that formula to what you are battling now.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Sometimes the self-sabotage comes because we don't know if it's really okay to be rich (tall poppy) or maybe because we don't think we're worthy (women especially get this issue).

Diane,

I sabotage myself on that issue ("not worthy") constantly!! I tell myself my experiences don't count or I'm "too young/unexperienced" (well, I do get the "young/naive" from the other investors) and other things along those lines. I recognize when I start to feel that way and completely change gears, which usually ends up being housework. But even if I just get the dishes clean, that is something I've "accomplished" and my brain starts throwing ideas on how to improve things or how to search for another solution.

LamboMP,

I agree with you on Tony Robbins. I have the Lessons in Mastery CDs but I don't always have the time to listen to the CD. I found a thin book, Notes from a Friend, by Tony Robbins and I pick that up whenever I need a pickup. Helps me to refocus and get back on track.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Well, this time of year
is difficult for me to start anything.
I am solar powered and haven't seen the sun in a while.
(if we get any more snow,
you're going to see a serious rant post).
I accept it and put my life on maintenance mode
(for Jan & Feb).

How do I power up?
Chocolate, unfortunately.

I also find that doing something, anything
(like filing or doing simple spreadsheets)
gets me in motion.
Once I'm in motion, I tend to keep going
(it is the starting that is challenging).

bpk1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 13, 2008
For me if I hit a road block in something I'm doing, I'll go out for a little while. I might go for a ride, but you're more likely to find me playing hockey. It gets the problem off my mind, I get almost in a zone, and when I come back to what I was doing, I get done what I couldn't before. Find that thing that helps you relax. At least it works for me.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Here's an exercise to do: Take a piece of paper and complete each sentence 10 times. Rich people are _________________. Money is _________________.

Hi, Diane! This low energy thing happens to me occasionally. I didn't need paper and a pen for your exercise. The first word that popped into my head for both was "awesome". :) I guess rich people are awesome for their ability to create the wealth, and money's awesome because... well, I assume we all know why :)

I remember in another thread where you talked about some amazing ideas you'd come up with for combining business and social causes. You have fantastic talent and skills, holding that all inside and not moving forward is a crime.

This last paragraph really made me feel good, thanks, Diane. Especially when something like this comes from someone I hold great respect for like you, it's really nice. Thanks :)

I don't think the whole low energy problem is really self sabotage. (Excellent observation about not being able to see body language - I find the internet is a horrible place to communicate because of this, and it leads to many misunderstandings) Maybe it is, but it's like the mind is willing, and the flesh is weak. I have thought about this only a little so far, but maybe the way I get my work done isn't set up the right way. I'll be deconstructing that to see how I can improve it.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm off to get chocolate and Mountain Dew... Heheheh

Seriously, I think I need to do some major re-engineering of my lifestyle. I have worked too hard for a while, and need to make sure exercise plays a bigger role (I rolled my SUV 360 degrees a few weeks ago, writing it off in the process, so I walk to my store now, at least that's something. Haven't bought a new car yet, I just put the insurance cash into my company).

I'm also planning to move, and set up a more comfortable and productive workspace.

Oh, and I think I may have found one really important thing I am yet to finish. I started my planning for this year, but haven't finished it, so I don't have a complete list of goals and stuff to do. I know generally, but the power is in the plan.

Daniel.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I recently fell into a rut and continued to sit around even though there was plenty of work that needed to be done. I really like to sit in my recliner and relax. The problem is that 15 minutes becomes 30 minutes and then 1 our or 2 hours etc. Then the day is shot and I feel like it was a total loss. I finally determined that I could not sit in that recliner until the day and the work was over. Now I can sit in it and enjoy some chocolate and peruse all the wisdom on TFTM board and feel good about the day.

Also, I agree with regular exercise and Tony Robbins. I think he could get the dead to walk!. God luck to all. :thumbsup:

Greg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.