The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk’s Neuralink will connect computers to your brain. Product to be released ‘in a few months'

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Neuralink_Logo.png

For those that don’t know Neuralink is crazy.

It’s a neurotechnology/nanotechnology company with the aim of developing implantable brain–computer interfaces (BCIs.) In other words, your brain will just connect directly to the internet.

Elon Musk: I'm about to announce a 'Neuralink' product that connects your brain to computers
  • Elon Musk says he will soon announce a Neuralink product that can make anyone superhuman by connecting their brains to a computer.
  • He says Neuralink increases the data rate between the brain and computers and will give humans a better shot at competing with AI.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEyTaCzHeU

Elon Musk: I'm about to announce a 'Neuralink' product that connects your brain to computers

The product being released most likely won’t allow you to directly connect in, but according to Musk the early product is impressive and 'beyond what people think is possible.'

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
scary and crazy yet unbelievable all coupled into one expression.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
View attachment 21575

For those that don’t know Neuralink is crazy.

It’s a neurotechnology/nanotechnology company with the aim of developing implantable brain–computer interfaces (BCIs.) In other words, your brain will just connect directly to the internet.

• Elon Musk says he will soon announce a Neuralink product that can make anyone superhuman by connecting their brains to a computer.
  • He says Neuralink increases the data rate between the brain and computers and will give humans a better shot at competing with AI.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvEyTaCzHeU

The product being released most likely won’t allow you to directly connect in, but according to Musk the early product is impressive and 'beyond what people think is possible.'
Did the weed have anything to do with it? :playful:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Musk is on to another new project, I see.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
View attachment 21575

Did I watch the wrong interview?

What I heard was that
  • they will announce a product that is better than what most people think is possible today within a few month
  • the long term goal is creating a product that can connect any person via a BCI
So I expect the first product announcement to be about a product that targets a very small number of people with severe disabilities.

I think the April 20, 2017 article deserves a link here: https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I doubt the mass population will ever buy into this. It's expensive. It requires brain surgery which has some of the highest rates of infection and possible death.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I doubt the mass population will ever buy into this. It's expensive. It requires brain surgery which has some of the highest rates of infection and possible death.
It’s absolutely inevitable that the mass population will buy into this. It’s just a matter of how far off into the future. But in terms of certainty, it’s 100% certain.

Also, there’s no evidence it will require surgery. If I’m not mistaken it’s supposed to be nanotechnology implanted into the bloodstream, then it just finds it’s way home.

But in terms of mass adoption, you literally won’t have a choice. By hooking to the internet you will have access to every piece of information ever at a split seconds notice. With it, you will be superhuman. And being superhuman will be the norm. Without this you will be so far behind the rest of the population the you’ll literally have no use to humanity. You’ll be this big blob of useless skin and bones. As Joe Rogan so eloquently put it "and then we'll be just this ridiculous biological shiting, pissing thing trying to stop the gods."

Elon Musk on Neuralink’s effect on brain computing power. (Skip to 27:00)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Did I watch the wrong interview?

What I heard was that
  • they will announce a product that is better than what most people think is possible today within a few month
  • the long term goal is creating a product that can connect any person via a BCI
So I expect the first product announcement to be about a product that targets a very small number of people with severe disabilities.

I think the April 20, 2017 article deserves a link here: https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html
Yes, the article was a little sensationalist, but he should have something small to throw us soon. But yes, what you posted what was said in the interview.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
By hooking to the internet you will have access to every piece of information ever at a split seconds notice. With it, you will be superhuman.
This isn't true. People are already plugged into it 5+ hours a day, and it hasn't made them superhuman. It's made them super lazy and attention deficit. It's turned out to be an extreme form of TV, much more addictive, with people wading through indundations of uninformed waffle, content marketing vomit, and sensationalist bullshit.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
This isn't true. People are already plugged into it 5+ hours a day, and it hasn't made them superhuman. It's made them super lazy and attention deficit. It's turned out to be an extreme form of TV, much more addictive, with people wading through indundations of uninformed waffle, content marketing vomit, and sensationalist bullshit.
I agree that there is an incentive problem. Companies have too many incentives to turn people into mindless consumers. But limiting a walled garden to quality content is a value attribute and comanies like Apple will go for such an advantage.

The difference in bandwidth is huge. Currently, absorbing information by watching videos is a slow process.
Broadcasting information by typing is slow AND comes with a lot of data loss. Computers directly speaking to the brain will be a crazy game changer. And don't forget brains talking to brains directly.

Also, there will be business models that make it affordable for anybody.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
The difference in bandwidth is huge. Currently, absorbing information by watching videos is a slow process.
Broadcasting information by typing is slow AND comes with a lot of data loss. Computers directly speaking to the brain will be a crazy game changer
It'd be an improvement in certain kinds of work. But observe the following: go on YouTube and set the video speed to 2x for someone who already speaks fast. That shows immediately what the limit of absorption of a human brain is: not much higher. Then ask people what percentage of their inefficiency is typing. Usually it's not much more than 10%. The rest of the time they're thinking.

So I doubt it will be a game changer. It will only speed up some parts of the input/output process. It won't speed up cognition.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I already have the beta version of this product installed right on my frontal cortex. I feed myself through a feeding tube and I just lay in bed all day absorbing the internet. In a few weeks I should be done watching all the youtube prank videos and then I'll move on to reality TV. Thank you Elon.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
It'd be an improvement in certain kinds of work. But observe the following: go on YouTube and set the video speed to 2x for someone who already speaks fast. That shows immediately what the limit of absorption of a human brain is: not much higher. Then ask people what percentage of their inefficiency is typing. Usually it's not much more than 10%. The rest of the time they're thinking.

So I doubt it will be a game changer. It will only speed up some parts of the input/output process. It won't speed up cognition.
Interesting take. You might be right. Probably early days will not be impressive and Elon overpromised again o_O.

In both cases there are conversions though, and bottlenecks. At some point it could be possible to communicate with larger areas of the cortex, remove the non-essential information and transfer the abstract thought, not texts or picture sequences with audio.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How people use it will be their business. You can use the internet to access basically any piece of information you want.... or you can watch cat videos. But having a direct link to the internet in your brain that can access any piece of information will make you superhuman. It’s literally the definition of superhuman lol

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 3.22.05 PM.png
You will be a god. You will have a direct connection to the entire library of congress or any information you want at all times. And by the time this is a reality AI will probably have reached the singularity, making it even crazier.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
That shows immediately what the limit of absorption of a human brain is: not much higher. Then ask people what percentage of their inefficiency is typing. Usually it's not much more than 10%. The rest of the time they're thinking.
You won’t even need to download the information to your brain. You’re not going to have to learn this stuff. You’ll have access to it at all times. Like I don’t need to know the capitol of Delaware.. I can just Google it. With a system like this you won’t have to learn it first.... you just think ‘what’s the capitol of delaware’ it runs it’s search, and the answer pops into your brain in a split second.

This is the real beginning of us merging with the machines.

And honestly, I’ll be the first on board. If they have something exciting to announce in 3 months, I’ll be the first in line.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
But having a direct link to the internet in your brain that can access any piece of information will make you superhuman
You already have to access to any piece of information on the internet. And now the internet is buried in absolute trash. The information you can get on the internet is worth nada vs a lucky 20 minute conversation with a guy-in-the-know in a bar. 100 blog articles is worth one millionth of a 1 hour conversation with an expert. No one puts valuable inside information on the internet for free unless they're a nihilist idiot. 90+% of the "information" on the internet is vomit put out with intent.

The issue is not bandwidth, it's quality, and bandwidth just increases the volume of crap you get deluged with, it doesn't help filter through what you actually need to know. You won't be made superhuman, you'll be made increasingly useless and controlled as a human being.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Elon overpromised again
Not compared to universities, for instance. Or Theranos. Or politicians. Or bankers.

Elon's a saint compared to 99% of the rest of the elites. The financiers should put every dollar of spare capital they have into his pockets, since at least he's moving us all forward. How many people do you know who you can say that about? Does anyone feel the Brins, Zuckerbergs, Gates, Buffets, and Bezos are moving us towards something good? He's pretty much the only thing that's unequivocally right with America.

Beside, he's an engineer type. They're riddled with borderline lunatic optimism bias. I saw one video where the businessman said "engineers are fundamental liars", and I get why. Just divide anything they say by 10.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Beside, he's an engineer type. They're riddled with borderline lunatic optimism bias. I saw one video where the businessman said "engineers are fundamental liars", and I get why. Just divide anything they say by 10.
That is funny ... programmers have those joke about customers getting excited when they talk directly to programmers, because in contrast to salespeople they cannot lie.

In my experience it is the entrepreneurs that are willfully blind and will not listen to reason because of their optimism.

But yeah, I was joking in the case of Elon. I am a huge fan.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The information you can get on the internet is worth nada vs a lucky 20 minute conversation with a guy-in-the-know in a bar. 100 blog articles is worth one millionth of a 1 hour conversation with an expert
I don’t know what Websites you use, but I find quality, university backed information just fine.

If I have an issue finding something I just get a book. Which are almost all available in ebook format.

What you’re saying is akin to saying ‘the information in book stores is shit.’.. I mean it depends n what book you pick up. I mean if that’s the case, you just have to pick up better books.

If you have an issue with that, you can use the custom Google search engine I built.

Google Custom Search

I don’t know what you consider ‘quality’ but it only searches reputable, high quality sources (Scientific American, Medical Daily, BPS, Pubmed, university research, etc)

And yes, some quality information you do have to pay for, but that’s still part of the internet.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
The issue is not bandwidth, it's quality, and bandwidth just increases the volume of crap you get deluged with, it doesn't help filter through what you actually need to know.

It's important to underscore this. Consider how many people are seduced by the thrill of "knowing stuff"... and have no comprehension of the significance of all the individual facts they've collected.

The deluge of information means that facts are cheap. When you can fire up Google Scholar or the Web of Knowledge and have the sum of human knowledge at your fingertips...information is trivial.

Information is a $10/hour job. Literally that -- you pay dirt-cheap grunts to dig it up for you. Robots can do this work. There is nothing special or interesting about knowing lots of things.

The $10,000 per hour work comes from synthesis. Mastery. Deep understanding. Insight. Being able to tell the difference between gems and manure. Have a sense of history and context.

That's the real hard work.

Unfortunately lots of people don't get this. Lots of people are content with $10/hour thinking, and it shows when they confuse piles of 10-cent facts with billion-dollar wisdom.

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
This is something I would love to do, my only concern is that the long term effects are hard to predict. What happens to your brain 5 years after the change? 10 years? The possibilities are amazing of course but our tech is not always reliable. Every piece of technology goes rouge at some point in time...

I'd still probably go for it :happy:

Chris25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Haven't you met any millennials?

Well I've met dumb and smart people of different ages. I know some millennials who are doing amazing stuff. Technology is a tool, and it depends on how you use it at the end of the day.

My point was that it's different if your phone breaks down, or a part that's controlling your brain breaks down.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.