The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elevator Pitch Help: Explaining What I DO For Work

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Frosting

Expansion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 14, 2017
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some input on framing my elevator pitch regarding what I do for work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some input on framing my elevator pitch regarding what I do for work. For the last couple of years I've been publishing ebooks via Amazon. I focus mostly on a particular genre. I make good money (but obviously not polite to say in an intro) and have a team of X full-time writers, and a couple of freelancers (Editors, designers, etc).

When people ask me what I do for work, I tend to say, "Uh... I run a book publishing company" and then they ask "oh, which one". So I have to explain, it's a niche company etc. It's mostly online, ebook sales through Amazon.

Normally I wouldn't care about the pitch, but I'm meeting co-investors recently (different business) so need a good pitch that makes it sound like I'm an actual successful, competent professional. But I also don't want to sound too braggy.

I'm thinking something like, "I run a book publishing company, we focus on Genre X." Maybe stop here or continue, "Since I've started the company we've sold almost 2mn books worldwide" (But this seems a bit braggy) or say "I've been doing this for about X years now" or...

I also don't want to keep talking about my own work, so I'm thinking of ways to transition, eg "It's been an interesting journey for me. How do you like working as XYZ?" or maybe a better question to keep the conversation going and less focused on me...

Suggestions, please?

I'd say... don't be afraid to brag. You shouldn't be ashamed of success. If the people you're talking to don't appreciate it and see it as an opportunity to work with you and share in that success, you're not talking to the right people.

Envy is a tenet of scarcity. Those people are bad for business. Abundance-minded people view your success with admiration and interest, not envy and disdain.

What you can do to make things easier for yourself and the people you're talking to, though, is to direct your pitch at them. You publish books, ok... how does that help them and others?

Or, you can go personal and feeling-based, so that they can look at their own business efforts and relate.

"I run a business that helps writers publish their books on Amazon and other places online. It's really rewarding... I get to work with X great people and, together, we've helped over Y people get their words out there and sold almost 2mil books worldwide. How about you? What do you do that you find rewarding?"
*notice 2 I, 1 we, 3 you.

If they get embarrassed or envious by the relative gap in success, then that's a good thing! Let them disqualify themselves... you don't want a co-investor who doesn't appreciate the value you're creating.

Others might disagree, but I'd say the best policy is being truthful and honest. There's a difference between talking about your success and boasting about it.

Frosting

Expansion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 14, 2017
Or, you can go personal and feeling-based, so that they can look at their own business efforts and relate.

"It's really rewarding... I get to work with X great people and, together, we've helped over Y people get their words out there and sold almost 2mil books worldwide. How about you? What do you do that you find rewarding?"

Wow thank you, I love this! I do find my work extremely rewarding, I get to work with the absolute best employees. I can definitely transition this to asking how they find their work/etc to be.

I am in fact looking to transition from what I do now to a different (co-invested) business, so this is a great way to frame it - I can explain that my awesome employees can now run most the business themselves, while I take a slight step back to focus on other priorities (new co-invested business, family, health, etc)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.