This is not intended to be a political post. I hope it sparks an informative conversation without being offensive or violating forum rules. Here goes:
Ohio has a statewide ballot issue regarding the constuction of a resort casino about 20 miles from my home. I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other. The issue is becoming pretty heated locally. One group is opposed to it on moral grounds. Their arguement is that casino's prey on society's weakest and poorest members, that crime will increase, foreclosures will increase, families will be torn apart, etc. etc. etc. Its all BAD. The pro casino group just wants to talk about jobs, jobs, jobs, and tax revenue for Ohio instead. Its all GOOD.
I really don't know............ I'm not convinced that a casino will cause anyone to gamble any more than a bar causes people to drink, or a hotel causes people to cheat on their spouse.
I also am not convinced that these jobs created are worth having. Most are going to be part time low wage jobs. Many of the people hired will probably gamble their wages back to the house.
Law enforcement is against the casino saying that it will increase crime dramatically.
Here are my questions: Do any of you have a casino close to home? What have been the effects on the area? Has it been more positive or more negative? What actually happens when a huge resort casino is built in a rural area? Does crime increase? Is it an economic boom for the area? I'm just wondering what others have seen.
Ohio has a statewide ballot issue regarding the constuction of a resort casino about 20 miles from my home. I do not have a strong opinion one way or the other. The issue is becoming pretty heated locally. One group is opposed to it on moral grounds. Their arguement is that casino's prey on society's weakest and poorest members, that crime will increase, foreclosures will increase, families will be torn apart, etc. etc. etc. Its all BAD. The pro casino group just wants to talk about jobs, jobs, jobs, and tax revenue for Ohio instead. Its all GOOD.
I really don't know............ I'm not convinced that a casino will cause anyone to gamble any more than a bar causes people to drink, or a hotel causes people to cheat on their spouse.
I also am not convinced that these jobs created are worth having. Most are going to be part time low wage jobs. Many of the people hired will probably gamble their wages back to the house.
Law enforcement is against the casino saying that it will increase crime dramatically.
Here are my questions: Do any of you have a casino close to home? What have been the effects on the area? Has it been more positive or more negative? What actually happens when a huge resort casino is built in a rural area? Does crime increase? Is it an economic boom for the area? I'm just wondering what others have seen.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
