The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce software question

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I use Woocommerce with Stripe, never had a problem with it.

Only recommendation is make sure your theme author updates often, I used a theme that took months to get updates for Woocommerce 3.0 and when they finally released it Woocommerce already had 3.1 out and wasn't compatible with the theme again so I've been stuck on Woocommerce 2.6 for months.

Yeah, I think mine is already outdated. I need to create a child theme so that I can update everything. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dots

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 16, 2016
@Empires do you use a VPS /own server or a basic hosting plan ? I am wondering what are your monthly costs including hosting,SSL certificate, payment processor, custom theme etc. vs Shopify's monthly plans. Also would be curious how fast your store/web page is loading. I like wordpress+woocommerce but I feel that there's always something that needs to be tweaked. I haven't touched Shopify but most of users seems to love the easy to setup and hassle free product.

Mr_Maravish

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jul 7, 2015
I have a dumb question and feel like I'm missing something, why didn't anyone mention Woocommerce?

I recently started setting it up on my website with the Stripe integration. The fact that no one mentioned it makes me feel like I made a mistake...
I've set up shops on both platforms, and I have to say I have enjoyed working on Shopify much better. Don't have to worry about payment processing or a SSL Certificate. The thing I don't like is their theme selection, it's smaller as there are more developers that focus on themes for Wordpress. The other thing is that most of their apps are on a subscription model, so a simple app can easily add $10 to your monthly operating costs, and it can build up the more you add, whereas woocommerce the plugins are a one time cost.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I've set up shops on both platforms, and I have to say I have enjoyed working on Shopify much better. Don't have to worry about payment processing or a SSL Certificate. The thing I don't like is their theme selection, it's smaller as there are more developers that focus on themes for Wordpress. The other thing is that most of their apps are on a subscription model, so a simple app can easily add $10 to your monthly operating costs, and it can build up the more you add, whereas woocommerce the plugins are a one time cost.

Gotcha. Those are good points. I got an SSL through hostgator when I signed up for business hosting and Woocommerce has Stripe integration, so I think I'm set.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
@Empires do you use a VPS /own server or a basic hosting plan ? I am wondering what are your monthly costs including hosting,SSL certificate, payment processor, custom theme etc. vs Shopify's monthly plans. Also would be curious how fast your store/web page is loading. I like wordpress+woocommerce but I feel that there's always something that needs to be tweaked. I haven't touched Shopify but most of users seems to love the easy to setup and hassle free product.
My site has good speed. I use Wpengine for hosting which is managed wordpress hosting, it's $29/month and includes free SSL. I forget how much the theme was but its just a one time fee. Woocommerce has Stripe integration so that's easy to set up.

I use Wordpress because I needed more customization & I also needed to manage subscriptions. Shopify vs. Woocommerce just depends on your needs. If you want more customization I'd definitely recommend Woocommerce. If you just need a basic ecommerce store Shopify should be just fine.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.