The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce | Shopify/Amazon etc.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Got the feeling people are choosing this because it's 'fast' money.

- Is it fast money?
- Is it following the CENTS methods? I'm not sure about that.
- Is there a future in it? Or is it making a quick buck and then leaving it?

I've got no experience in business or what so ever but since I'm a computer nerd and kinda techy and want to give Ecommerce a shot.

- Using big websites is that a benefit?
- Or is it better to create your own website from scratch and sell there?
- Do you do branding or just selling stuff?

I want to buy an Udemy Shopify course to see how it works but want to know this first.
Is it worth it in the end?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Shopify is just an e-commerce platform - its a tool, nothing more.

Amazon is a sales channel.

Amazon has made many people very rich. Amazon is one of the most valuable companies on the planet. It's not going away any time soon. Food for thought.

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
Selling trough Amazon or shopify certainly violates CENTS especially;

C. Command, since your not in control . I know several sellers who had their accounts closed while making money.
Ebay closed my account suddenly without any explanation. Luckily I wasn't depending on selling through Ebay anymore at that time.

E.Entry, the entry is so easy anyone is doing it. Not saying anyone is successful at it.

However to make some money which you can invest in your fastlane business, Ecommerce on those platforms can help you in the right direction.

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
Selling trough Amazon or shopify certainly violates CENTS especially;

C. Command, since your not in control . I know several sellers who had their accounts closed while making money.
Ebay closed my account suddenly without any explanation. Luckily I wasn't depending on selling through Ebay anymore at that time.

E.Entry, the entry is so easy anyone is doing it. Not saying anyone is successful at it.

However to make some money which you can invest in your fastlane business, Ecommerce on those platforms can help you in the right direction.
It doesn't necessarily violate CENTS.

For Commandment of Control, diversify your channels. Violating Control would be if you sold only on Amazon or only through Shopify. If you have multiple distribution channels then it is not a violation of Control, as MJ mentions in UNSCRIPTED on pg. 242: "Diversification from influence is also a tenet of the Control Commandment."

It would absolutely violate the Commandment of Entry if you are doing something like buying off Alibaba and reselling, because there is practically no barrier of entry. But if you're manufacturing your own product, that is a high barrier of entry.

@Wiezel, don't look for money. Provide value. Solve a problem. Ecommerce is just a means of getting that value out to other people. It is a platform. There will always be a future in selling goods online, but that isn't reason enough to get started in ecommerce. What value would you be providing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
It doesn't necessarily violate CENTS.

For Commandment of Control, diversify your channels. Violating Control would be if you sold only on Amazon or only through Shopify. If you have multiple distribution channels then it is not a violation of Control, as MJ mentions in UNSCRIPTED on pg. 242: "Diversification from influence is also a tenet of the Control Commandment."

It would absolutely violate the Commandment of Entry if you are doing something like buying off Alibaba and reselling, because there is practically no barrier of entry. But if you're manufacturing your own product, that is a high barrier of entry.

@Wiezel, don't look for money. Provide value. Solve a problem. Ecommerce is just a means of getting that value out to other people. It is a platform. There will always be a future in selling goods online, but that isn't reason enough to get started in ecommerce. What value would you be providing?

No clue what my value will be.
Therefore I was wondering what is logical to do, reading this I do not prefer Shopify nor Amazon since your control is not 100%. What about creating your own selling website (via Wordpress) and sell your stuff on there?

How do I figure out what people need so I can sell that? I would love to have my own online business because I really want to add value, deliver good products and be customer friendly.

rwhyan

The higher, the fewer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Aug 27, 2017
CA
No clue what my value will be.
Therefore I was wondering what is logical to do, reading this I do not prefer Shopify nor Amazon since your control is not 100%. What about creating your own selling website (via Wordpress) and sell your stuff on there?

How do I figure out what people need so I can sell that? I would love to have my own online business because I really want to add value, deliver good products and be customer friendly.
Don't necessarily discount Amazon and Shopify. The benefit of Amazon is that people on Amazon have strong buying intent and you can expose your product to a massive amount of people. A Shopify site automatically provides the tech/tools to sell on your site, which would be more difficult to do on your own on Wordpress. I'm not going to tell you which channels you should utilize, but consider the benefits/drawbacks of them all and keep in mind that you can diversify your channels (you don't have to choose one platform to sell on).

But regardless, this shouldn't be your focus.

There is plenty of material on this forum on how to provide value. Here are a few helpful threads to help you get started:

Help one person at a time

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/who-have-you-helped.84241/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-thread.50097/

Ideas are everywhere. Notice problems in your life.

One of my favorite Paul Graham quotes is: "Live in the future. Build what is missing."

But you don't even need to do that. Who in your life can you help right now? What domain experience do you have? Any problems you can identify there?

Who can you provide value to today? Start small. Utilize your skills you already have. If you genuinely desire to help others, you'll be more receptive to their problems.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.