The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

E-Commerce - Selling My Own Product

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
Hi all! Its been a long while since I last posted here, but I have been doing a lot of lurking around, trying to learn as much as I can, while moving forward with my own product development.

I've developed my own apparel product that I intend to sell via the internet. I have a website up and would be glad to hear any comments on it - Link here (Edited to change the text in the link). We've already sold one pair, before we actually had any inventory in stock. We are going to be getting our first shipment of inventory soon, within the next week or so.

Right now, marketing is the next big challenge and one I'm feeling very anxious about. I'm not entirely sure what the most effective way to market this will be at this point. I am working on the SEO side, but this is something that will obviously take a while to show results. I have also done some adwords ads - this is how we got our first sale - but our marketing budget is limited, so I was trying to focus on more low cost ways of marketing. I think that I would like to approach bloggers about doing reviews for us and trying to get some traffic that way and maybe also posting on forums.

Have any of you all approached bloggers about doing reviews? Was it useful in driving traffic and do you have any thoughts as to how to ask?

Also, any wisdom on maintaining motivation and overcoming fear? Now that we actually are moving from development to sales, I'm feeling very uncomfortable about putting myself out there, even though that is obviously exactly what I need to be doing. I think I'm really terrified of getting negative responses, which are of course inevitable, and so I've been doing some dragging of feet in terms of marketing.

Any and all comments and wisdom are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
I think the top right cluster of links is a bit unorganized and could be fashioned a little better. I know a lot of sites nowadays make a bar across the top of the page and put them in. Also, the size chart was a little difficult to find because the Product Description was open and put the size chart down at the bottom. I think something related to the size chart should be NEAR the actual size selections. Maybe put the sizes vertical instead of horizontal and have the actual size next to it with a link to 'How to Find Your Size'?

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
I agree with the top right cluster being unappealing and kind of ugly. However, overall it seems to be pretty well done and speed + for getting to this point!

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
Thanks so much for the comments! I agree the top navigation menu is not ideal. I've been modifying a template from Big Commerce and learning HTML and CSS as I go, so I'll need to figure out how to get that done.

Great comment on the size chart too - I've been thinking about changing that so its more obvious.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Speed + for getting this far.

Look @JasonR 's thread below, the 2nd post in particular. He has some great tips in it. Also read the page he links to in that post, implement that and I think this product will thrive. I do think you do a decent job of noting the benefits not features of the product so that's good.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/jasons-how-to-build-wealth-golden-nuggets.52268/

http://www.digitalmarketer.com/customer-value-optimization/

Side note: Like many on this forum, I don't like SEO, BUT I did a quick search of "thigh chafing" and "thigh chafing solutions" and there are a ton of questions people have about thigh chafing. Answer these questions, offer the solution, get customers. They will trust you and you will get their business. You probably won't get much traffic from these posts, but having these posts won't hurt. I'd focus on the tips above (and Jason's thread) first.

Last edited by a moderator:

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
@rkmalo1 - thanks! I will definitely check out those threads - much appreciation for pointing me to them. I've done a fair amount of reading on the forum, but I know I'm still missing really good stuff.

Also, a big thanks to MJ for providing this space. The hardest thing for me so far has been feeling very isolated during this whole process, so its awesome having someplace to go where people understand what you are trying to do. :)

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
Try to get your product sold in AAFES - the army and air force PX. Try at a place like Fort Benning, GA, where the infantry training units are doing lots of road marching in the sweltering humidity. Lots of potential to go viral because you would be catering to a population that is close-knit, dare I say faddish at times, and soldiers are inclined to take product recommendations from fellow soldiers.

also try to get into Brigade Quartermaster. I am sure the navy NEX would also be a good place for your product if it is at a base where marines are stationed.

You can eve try selling at a kiosk on an army post if you want to try it out on that population without doing the legwork of getting into the actual AAFES PX shelves. They typically take 10 to 15 percent of your proceeds instead of charging kiosk rental.

Voracity

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 24, 2014
Midwest USA
also try to get into Brigade Quartermaster. I am sure the navy NEX would also be a good place for your product if it is at a base where marines are stationed.

Good advice. BQ is a great company. Could also try to do the same with US Cav.

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
SarahSH - fantastic suggestion that had never crossed my mind at all. I don't have any experience with the military, but I do think that this product would be a great fit. Now, just have to figure out how to do that :)

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
SarahSH - fantastic suggestion that had never crossed my mind at all. I don't have any experience with the military, but I do think that this product would be a great fit. Now, just have to figure out how to do that :)
Go to the AAFES website and if you surf around, you will find a link about selling your product in the PX. I live near Fort Leavenworth, KS and have the contact info for the kiosk person here. That is a little bit of a different way to sell at the PX but if I were you, I would try to get into their Uniform Clothing and Sales store. They are usually not located in the main PX store but it would further refine your customer base...ie. tighten the sales funnel since usually the majority of the patrons shopping there are the actual military members and they are in there looking for uniform items and Physical Training Uniforms ( ideally, you would want to display your wraps next to the PT uniforms and equipment with some sort of display showing what it is and what it does.)

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
I should also say that once you figure out which post PX to sell at, you can google the garrison command phone directory for that particular post and you can then find the PX customer service number. I would start there. The people in customer service will be able to send you on down the phone lines until you connect up with the buyer. At least that is how I found out my local info for our PX. Don't give up if you run into someone who does not seem to "know" who you should talk to. Keep probing them with questions and eventually you will get through to the right person. I say this because dealing with them is sometimes like dealing with a government office in that customer service is not always their top priority.

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
SarahSH - awesome info! I love this idea. My initial plan was that this would be a e-commerce only product, but selling through military bases could be a way to get massive scale much more quickly. Seriously, this forum kicks a$$. I've gotten huge value from it!

Also, just found out we sold another pair online. Not sure how, since I haven't been running advertising (waiting until we get product in stock). Have to check out my analytics to see. Its been a long road up to this point (definitely a process, not an event) but having someone give you money for something that you designed and produced is one of the best feelings in the world! I'm actually starting to feel like a real live entrepreneur!:D

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Look into running communities online & in your area.
I know a lot of runners use BodyGlide...but maybe some people would prefer your product.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hated the mobile site...

OutoftheLaw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 23, 2011
Colorado
Yeah, the mobile site does suck - one of the weak points of Big Commerce is that they don't make the mobile templates easy or intuitive to modify and their default sucks. I went ahead and turned off the mobile version for now, until I can improve it. Its not ideal, but it looks okay on my nexus 5 that way. Thanks for taking a look!

Edited to add - yeah, this is high on the list to fix. When you add something to the cart, the pop-up looks weird.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.