The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

E-commerce, my take on things.

EComGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 19, 2008
Hey guys,

I wanted to post some of the guidelines and tools that I use to do feasibility tests for ecommerce businesses, as well as the tools that I used to operate an e-biz efficiently.

Beginning stage: Infrastructure

Three questions that I deem most important in e-biz infrastructure construction.

1) What is the main product of my e-biz?

Sporting Goods, Electronics, Furniture, Technology Services, etc.

2) How am I going to market this product effectively to establish a customer base?

Magazines, Word of mouth, E-advertising, Mail outs, etc.

3) How am I going to maintain the functionality of the site for the customers?

Hiring a web content manager, Independent firm, Self Managed, etc.

Elaboration on each question and their importance

1) What is the main product of my e-biz?

You have to get to the nuts and bolts of this business. Are you going to sale just one product, or are you going to sale products for one category. To try and sale multiple products, you're going to be hard pressed to beat a giant like E-bay. Try to specialize your content/products so that the customer knows that what you are doing is centralizing your product base. Know the product back and forth, and customers will fall in love with your dedication to whatever they me in the market to purchase. By doing this, you are able to focus on the new products and news relating to your category. Specialization in any category can help customers with making the decision because your business is in the know. Who wants to buy a car/bike from someone that also sales houses and office equiptment? Where is the focus of the company? What makes this customer know that if there is a problem with your product they are going to speak with a represenative that is in tune to their needs? Not much. Make them know that.

2) How am I going to market this product effectively to establish a customer base?

The internet is a vast and continually growing organism. Never will it decrease in size, so your just going to have to stake your claim, and remain in the position, or go up from there. You have to make a stadegy that will broadcast your business to everyone. Whether it is going to door to door and letting people know, going to trade shows and speaking to people in that field, or whether its talking to locals that have the same interest and letting it grow virally. For myself, I have always been one to do the advertising by mouth, and face to face, rather than over the internet. I have not seen an upside to sending out initial advertising by email, yet people do it everyday. What makes you different than all of the spam they get on a day to day basis? Nothing. Pound the pavement, talk to people, and establish a relationship with anyone you can. Bridge gaps that have not been easily accessable before. Be the person that does his own talking, and let people know that there is time being spent to let everyone know. Sales trends usually depend on the size of the customer base. Why is this? The word of mouth spreads faster, with more impact, than any electronic communication ever can. Once peoples emotions are involved, you have a true sense of the situation. Most of the time this is hard to interpret via emails/chats.

3) How am I going to maintain the functionality of the site for the customers?

One of the most important things in E-commerce, is the ease of use of your website. Now, I will never tell anyone to make a site that ANYONE could use, because that is un-doable. You have to truely look at the customer you're trying to reach and research their lifestyle. If these customers are ones who widely use computers, then you have a starting point. The idea is to not spend so much time on making it so easy, anyone could do it, but making it easy enough that any of YOUR target audience can use it. Also, you want to make sure that your e-bizz has a strong sense of security. Make sure that if you have a diaster in your office/area, that your bases are covered for your national customers. I always like to have a seperate back up company, as far away as possible that I can turn to in case of an emergency. Have a DNS back up so that if something does hit your local area, you can dial into your extra DNS, point to your back up server located somewhere else in the country, and still have the site up and running for everyone else. Likelihood of someone in your local area getting onto the website after a diaster is slim, so we need to focus on non-local customers.

Second Stage: Business Contruction

Coming Soon

Stay Tuned

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic post. This is very helpful for me, as I am seriously considering venturing down this path. Looking forward to your next post!

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
rep++ Thanks for sharing! Sometimes I feel like I am floundering because my husband started the e-commerce site before I came along and I just jumped in the middle of it! So I feel this strange feeling of having an established business that I'm working on but not really knowing anything!

EComGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 19, 2008
Second Stage: Business Contruction

Planning your business to promote success

This is where your feet hit the pavement, and you plan your companies and your own future. One of the most important things in creating a business is making sure that you set realistic goals for yourself. When you set goals, they can do one of two things. A) They can frustrate you and direct your focus to your shortcomings, as opposed to making the business operate smoothly, or B) They can be a huge boost to your self esteem and motivate you to do more, and be more. Which would you want your goals do? Keeping this in mind, you are now ready to write goals for your business and plan your stadegies.

5 Key points to address in your business plan to improve your odds

1) Set hard dates for the planning process, the dates for implementation, and the unofficial 'opening day' for your ebizz. Even though in the back of your mind you KNOW that these dates do not have to be met, do not factor that in. Let these dates set milestones for your business so that you can track your progress.

Examples:
- Complete site designed by 9.01.08
- Complete shopping cart by 9.28.08
- Complete marketing slicks and mail outs by 10.15.08
- Attend Trade Show 11.01.08
- Launch site 12.01.08
- Advertise for "Grand Opening Day" with great values 12.15.08
- Start normal site operating procedures 12.20.08
- ECT.

By setting dates and sticking to them, you also have solid information to give all potentially interested customers. The last thing you want to do is give them a date and not follow thru. Big No-No in business.

2) Decide the capitol reinvestment of revenue generated from the site. You need to set an ammount of money that you will reinvest in the business from the sales that you generate in your first year. The first year is the most important, as you will be establishing your root members, the ones who usually help with viral growth. You need to allot a portion of the money for advertising via any media outlet, travels, and offering specials on products even if it costs you a little money in the end. Every customer is looking for a great deal, why don't you be the one to give it to them?

3) Obtain a business attorney for your business details. Depending on how savy you are with business, depends the ammount that you will need an attorney for. If you know how to Trademark your logo and business name, great. If you do not, however, you need to get a reputable attorney to handle this. The last thing that you want in the future when your company is successful, is someone else using your name, or trademarking your name/logo because you did not take these steps. (I know this one for a fact as it happened to me personally). Also, you need to have a business attorney give you counsel on what you need to do to thoroughly protect your content, and make sure you do not overstep your boundaries when it comes to products you're selling. There is a fine line for both. Attorneys are also good to have in your corner if any other situation arises, as they will know your business, and its inside workings.

4) Continually create business relationships with suppliers and manufacturers. Contact anyone and everyone that you can that sales this product or service on a large scale, or in a live environment. You would be suprised how many actual 'people' own these companies. The majority of the time, you can set up dealer accounts with these people even if you are not a large scale outlet. Bridging these types of connections are irreplaceable. These types of relationships can really increase the availbility of your product for the customer, and cut down on any "Not In Stock" scenarios may arise. Also, this allows you to shop your providers for the best price. I will be the first to tell you, what one company has cheapier than any other, they have two things more expensive. Have options.

5) Establish the structure of your customer service. This should be your main concern once the business is up and running. However, it should also be of great concern prior to opening of the ebiz. Its never a good thing to establish customer care policies when you have an upset customer. You have to decide how are you are going to field the complaints. Will it all be phone based, or are you going to ask for them to fill out a form on the website and submit it to you for review. Either way is acceptable, to most. I know that when I have a malfunctioning or incorrect product, I want to speak to someone so that I feel that I have accomplished something with my complaint. With a email form, you have no immediate response and tend to be in limbo as to whether anything is being done. Always have a contact info available and easy to find. I usually place mine in the headers to avoid any confusion. Once you know what you are initially going to do, you now have to decide what timeline you are going to give customer for rectification of their problem. If it was a delivery related issue (ie- damaged prior to delivery, wrong product, ect.) I would seriously consider having an 'overnight' correction service implemented. Usually with dealers, you can explain the situation, have them send you a replacement, and credit your account once the defunct product is back in their possession. If it is a warranty related issue on a product the customer has had for a while, you have to make a decision. The way I decided to handle it was do in store returns to local customers, and direct all others to the manufacturers warranty department.

Thats all for now, but stay tuned. More to come.

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Very good post! Thank you!

I saved it all for future reference, looking forward to the rest..

+speed

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Very good article. I really appreciate that.

One thing challenge me is the supplier. It's always something going one when you get your stuff from the supplier. Especially from the dropshipper.

Out of stock will kills your business.

EComGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 19, 2008
Hey guys,

I have not forgotten about this thread.

I would however like to turn this into a Q&A for anyone that has particular questions regarding E-Commerce that would like input from someone who has been able to make things work.

All questions are welcomed, and will be answered.

Best,

PerryC

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Great Post. I think many people want to take this route because they think it will be easier. The "lazy man's way" few people realize the work it takes to run ANY business. Helping people with their business planning is definitly an honorable cause!

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail. Again, Great Post! :)

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Hi Perry,
I have a website design team in place for an e-commerce website. My main focus right now is:
1) finding a niche market; and
2) finding a niche product/products which I can dropship to customers.

(I know there is a thread for finding niches, and I will be viewing it after)
My question to you is: do you dropship?, and if so, how would you recommend finding a reputable dropship source which carries the products you intend to sell?

I will be scouring the internet in the meantime...
Thanks for your help Perry!

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
Oh, one more thing!
With dropshipping you are making a deal with the supplier where you are paying wholesale price to him, and I (the merchant) keeps the difference between the wholesale price and my retail price minus fees.
My question is: With dropshipping, am I purchasing the "inventory" (even though he holds it) before hand, or is it a situation where we have our deal in place, and with each sale, we each receive our allotted amount?
Muchos gracias for your time.
- Cody

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Oh, one more thing!
With dropshipping you are making a deal with the supplier where you are paying wholesale price to him, and I (the merchant) keeps the difference between the wholesale price and my retail price minus fees.
My question is: With dropshipping, am I purchasing the "inventory" (even though he holds it) before hand, or is it a situation where we have our deal in place, and with each sale, we each receive our allotted amount?
Muchos gracias for your time.
- Cody

Hi Cody,

With dropshipping you are not purchasing inventory. When you get an order, you place the order with the wholesaler and they ship it.

EComGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 19, 2008
czach,

When looking for a wholesaler, ask them for references. If they are intent on doing business with you they will afford you clients numbers. Call them, ask how the wholesalers products are, and if the deliveries are timely. If they are you're on a good path. It will take you a couple of orders before you become comfortable dealing with them, but this happens in any business.

When you have a drop shipper, they are essentially exactly like any other supplier. You receive an order, the money is sent to you, and you call and order the product. I always had an AMEX card ready to order the parts instead of waiting on any type of deposit to complete. Call, place your order, agree on a payment method (I usually have them file my card number under my account) and wait until you receive word from the client that their part has arrived. It's also very important to make sure the drop shipper is quick in supplying a shipping/tracking number to ease the nervousness.

Any other questions let me know.

PerryC

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
Perry,

Great post! I have question about price points. Do you think orders should have $200 average for a biz to be successful (that"s from "4 hour work week" book). I have an ebiz that is coming along, but at the end of the day the average order is $40... Starting to feel not worth my time.

I feel ok about pricing as compared to competition and in line with industry's margins, but...

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I have an ebiz that is coming along, but at the end of the day the average order is $40... Starting to feel not worth my time.

I feel ok about pricing as compared to competition and in line with industry's margins, but...
Any way to provide this same product/service to a more upscale market? Is it possible to find a niche in this market and doing something different that allows you to charge, say, $65 instead of $40?

EComGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 19, 2008
Perry,

Great post! I have question about price points. Do you think orders should have $200 average for a biz to be successful (that"s from "4 hour work week" book). I have an ebiz that is coming along, but at the end of the day the average order is $40... Starting to feel not worth my time.

Well, I think the '$200' per order is something that is definitely acheivable and you will only benefit from it. The way I boost my sales per click on my E-Commerce sites is have direct links from a product they add to their cart to other products that are useful in the same manner. Say for instance, a customer buys a new tube for their bicycle tire. Once they add it to their cart I have 5-10 small pictures pop up below on the confirmation screen that says something to the affect of 'Useful tools to help change your tube' followed by tire mounting/unmounting kits, new Valves, Emergency Patch kits, and a univeral 'swiss army' style tool. This keys them into other products that they need at the moment. Its amazing how little $25 dollar sales that you were not receiving before can help grow your order ammounts substantially.

If I were you I would look at a way to directly market related products once you know they are buying something in the genre, and offer a small discount if they buy them at the same time. Or, something I found that works great, is offer a 5%-10% discount on a so called package from your company. Buy these 3 independent products for $35 each, or buy all three at the same time for $95.50 or however. People love a bargain, be the one that gives it to them. If you do, I can almost garuntee a return customer.

Best,

PerryC

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Cactus,

I know what you mean, a $40 sale can be alot of work to make $10-$20. I have some cheap items in my store also and I pretty much hate the single orders. But my sales are usually over $100 just because of my product.

Are you willing to PM me your store? I can take a look at it. Maybe there are some combo products that you can put together that will make people order more.

This is what I did. I have a bunch of $25 products that I don't really like selling alone. ABCwidget is $25. When someone orders a $130 product, I have as an option to add-on the ABCwidget for $20 (SAVE $5). This is how the bulk of my cheap products sell.

Another thing you can do is make shipping so expensive that its not cost effective for them to order a $25 item and pay $12 for shipping.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Just found this thread...WOW!

Speed +++ to Perry for the information and opening up the Q&A!

:thankyousign:

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
I took Alot from this thread, thanks alot guys and let keep it coming.

I am personally starting an E-biz in E-commerce, starting off at Ebay, (trying to get powerseller status) then I will start a Standalone site.

Since I am only starting out (not to thread jack), Can anyone experienced in Selling Niches online, please contact me on PM, I have some questions.

Thanks Alot :notworthy:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Since I am only starting out (not to thread jack), Can anyone experienced in Selling Niches online, please contact me on PM, I have some questions.

Thanks Alot :notworthy:

Just start a new thread and ask your questions there. I'm sure many people will answer.

Razzaq

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 21, 2008
hi buddies...

I must say it's a great place with lot of useful interesting information regarding business/economics...

thanks to all the members for posting lot of info, idea, links and write-up.. etc...

keep posting :)

take care
:great:

michaelscheuren

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 5, 2008
Escanaba, Michigan
If you want to do a search for a specific niche idea, go to www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html. enter the code, then enter your keywords or phrase and hit search. it will show you the amount of searches in the last month. you want to have search numbers between 1,000 and 100,000. Then go to google, enter the same phrase as above and hit search. you want the google results(your competition) to be under 5 million. If your product falls in between the numbers above, it has a good chance to be successful. I hope this helps.

Michael.

dbaker89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 18, 2008
Reno, NV
Although Perry's advice is very sound, turns out he is a phony.

He doesnt have any exotic cars. He doesnt have a successful ecommerce business. He has been posing as an ultra-sucessful internet entreprenuer for nearly a year now and finally someone caught him.

Read more here;

Millionaire Car Collector Or Con-artist? - LiveLambo

you MAY have to register

THEKID105

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2008
Thank you for your contribution. A backup in case of a disaster is a great idea. One criteria that is important is the target customers. If you offer a product or service that is more specialized it can make more money if you market it correctly. It is kind of like Doctors where the specialist makes more than the general practitioner. Thanks again for the input.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.