The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dude at a Gas Station Got Into My Wallet

Anything related to matters of the mind

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Every Action Has an Equal and Opposite Reaction

This morning I was pumping gas so I could get to the place I spend a few hours at everyday trading time for money. so I was running late and in a hurry.

As I was filling my tank a car pulled up on the opposite side of my pump and this dude came over to me and told me he needed gas to get home after coming from a job interview. He went on to to say that even if it was half a gallon he would be grateful. He was almost in tears but the sceptic held me back from wanting to hop him. I said to him "sorry I can't help you". I was in a hurry and didn't trust his motives. But then I thought about one of my most recent goals and that is to be un-selfish and to help others as much as I can and as often as I can whether in my business or relationships (thanks to all of those great posts that @IceCreamKid posts around here for giving me that I stunt and motivation).

So within a minute of telling him no, I decide to put aside my preconceived notions about why he needed the gas. I was in a position to help another human bing and so I did.

I pumped him some gas and shook his hand. We had some chatter and he went on his way after thanking me profusely.

So a few things happened after that:

1) My web developer (Fastlane) contacted me letting me know that she had some work completed for me to review. I checked it out and holy shit did she hit it out of the park. Major, major progress. Her work was everything I had envisioned.

2) I have had some family issues that I had been putting off in terms of relationships. I have been so focused on me and hat I am doing that I had isolated my sisters and we have always been close. One of my sisters contacted me out of the blue and we resolved our issues and I am recommitted to being a better brother.

3) Everyone I have come in contact today has been by one nice and cordial and went out of their ah to do so. It feels like a movie that I am watching myself play a role in.

The sum of these things made me think about that good deed earlier today and I smiled. It reminded me about MJ's book and @IceCreamKid 's posts and how important it is to have to give of ourselves. Making other people a priority has the power to transform our lives and today I got to experience the beauty of it.

One last thing: he looked just like me as in his build, his features, eye color. The only difference was that we were dressed differently.

I don't know what the hell that means if anything but I put something into practice, I took action and the laws of the universe rewarded me accordingly. What a humbling experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Disobey

following breadcrumbs
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Feb 18, 2014
Luxembourg
My hat's off to you sire!

Imagine the impact you might have done on this poor guy's life. You might just have restored his faith in humankind. Given him a little bit of hope.

Your wallet may have gotten a little bit lighter, but your soul just got a whole lot richer.

Congrats on filling a small need by the way. I don't really believe in karma but it looks like you've already been rewarded for the value you gave.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
a week ago an old poor man approached me in the road asking for money for health issues. I am always skeptic when this happens and I told him so but he seemed genuine and really unable to work. Most people would give him from $0.1-$1, but I was in a good mood that day and one of my goals is to give & help people whenever I can, so I gave him $10 which in my country equals to a day of work. Feels really good. I surely don't do that everyday but whenever I can afford and when the other person really seems to need it, usually old people. Other times I buy a sandwitch to a kid and so on. Small random acts of kindness which also motivate me to earn more so one day to be able to give more. I surely can't change their lives but maybe I can change their day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that 2 days after the above, I was in the capital city and got very late and missed the last bus to my home city. There was very little chance for me to get home that night and I would have to pay a hotel room ($40), but I decided I would try anyways.
4 different stranger people picked me up from one city to another, and I got home. Actually one person picked me up twice, and made sure he would leave me in a safe place to wait for another car that goes to my city. Eventually my whole ride was free because none of them accepted any money, they just wanted to help, and I got more prof that most people want to do good.

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
It feels like a movie that I am watching myself play a role in.
What's up Hollywood ! :cool: lol.

Good for you ! So check this out...I know you felt good about doing that for him. His day was changed by you and now, he is more likely to help another person that same day...true...studies back this. People are moved by acts of kindness like this. If he were to only watch you give someone some change...meh...it wouldn't move him to give to anyone. You did good.

AND...it set the pace for your entire day. win win win ! I could go on and on about helping people and the effects it has on everyone but I'll hold back and just say great for you !

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
In my limited experience, the one who gives ultimately ends up receiving the most. He may not see this in the short term because months or even years can go by without life giving him a break for his deeds, but in the long run it comes back in spades.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I took action and the laws of the universe rewarded me accordingly.
:headbanger:
I don't want to diminish your cosmic epiphany but maybe you're walking out of it with the wrong lesson.

The universe didn't do shit.
Your good deed set the precedent for how you interpreted the rest of the day's events.
The moment you acted positively to the stranger you put a filter over your vision that changed the way you experienced life.
The bad didn't seem so bad, and the good was amplified.

To the layman it does indeed feel like the universe is on your side. A few thousand years ago Zeus would have been your benefactor.
But remember that it's not mystical or magical.
You DIRECTLY improved your own day through action.
YOU get props for that.
Screw the universe.

cashis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 22, 2014
Whether it's karma, cosmic intervention, God, the flying spaghetti monster or just plain coincidence, it really shouldn't matter. The money you spent to help that guy out was probably negligible to you, but to him it made a world of difference.

I've had the opportunity to help some truly beaten down people in my life. And as they thanked me with tears in their eyes, I almost teared up myself. To see how grateful they were for the little help they received really put things into perspective. For me that money meant what? A pack of smokes, maybe a cup of coffee? But by giving it to them, I made their day, probably more. It's a truly humbling experience, and it's taught me to always give to those less fortunate than me, because it means so much more to them.

I don't smoke anymore, in case someone was thinking about calling me an idiot :)

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
About a month ago this homeless guy came up to me and asked for a dollar. I asked if he had change for $100 as those were the only bills I had on me at the time. He said no.. I said sorry. The rest of the day I felt.... man I am a great guy, I mean I offered to help and in my book it's the thought that counts.

I am too nice..

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
But we ARE the universe, contemplating itself.
Love the universe.

1728-vladimir-putin-you-serious.jpg

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Congrats to you for helping. We don't ever NEED to help anyone. We should help people because we WANT to.

Cult45

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 27, 2012
Every Action Has an Equal and Opposite Reaction

This morning I was pumping gas so I could get to the place I spend a few hours at everyday trading time for money. so I was running late and in a hurry.

As I was filling my tank a car pulled up on the opposite side of my pump and this dude came over to me and told me he needed gas to get home after coming from a job interview. He went on to to say that even if it was half a gallon he would be grateful. He was almost in tears but the sceptic held me back from wanting to hop him. I said to him "sorry I can't help you". I was in a hurry and didn't trust his motives. But then I thought about one of my most recent goals and that is to be un-selfish and to help others as much as I can and as often as I can whether in my business or relationships (thanks to all of those great posts that @IceCreamKid posts around here for giving me that I stunt and motivation).

So within a minute of telling him no, I decide to put aside my preconceived notions about why he needed the gas. I was in a position to help another human bing and so I did.

I pumped him some gas and shook his hand. We had some chatter and he went on his way after thanking me profusely.

So a few things happened after that:

1) My web developer (Fastlane) contacted me letting me know that she had some work completed for me to review. I checked it out and holy shit did she hit it out of the park. Major, major progress. Her work was everything I had envisioned.

2) I have had some family issues that I had been putting off in terms of relationships. I have been so focused on me and hat I am doing that I had isolated my sisters and we have always been close. One of my sisters contacted me out of the blue and we resolved our issues and I am recommitted to being a better brother.

3) Everyone I have come in contact today has been by one nice and cordial and went out of their ah to do so. It feels like a movie that I am watching myself play a role in.

The sum of these things made me think about that good deed earlier today and I smiled. It reminded me about MJ's book and @IceCreamKid 's posts and how important it is to have to give of ourselves. Making other people a priority has the power to transform our lives and today I got to experience the beauty of it.

One last thing: he looked just like me as in his build, his features, eye color. The only difference was that we were dressed differently.

I don't know what the hell that means if anything but I put something into practice, I took action and the laws of the universe rewarded me accordingly. What a humbling experience.

Hats off to a good deed.....they are always repaid 10 fold. Thanks for the inspiring post!

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
I give because I love to and I also love receiving…where I give doesn't necessarily equate to where my receiving comes from…

Breath = an inhale and an exhale… this is how I see giving and receiving…I do my best to keep it balanced…

@PeeVee great gesture of kindness. When we give we feel good (or at least I do) - when we feel good great things happen!

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
a week ago an old poor man approached me in the road asking for money for health issues. I am always skeptic when this happens and I told him so but he seemed genuine and really unable to work. Most people would give him from $0.1-$1, but I was in a good mood that day and one of my goals is to give & help people whenever I can, so I gave him $10 which in my country equals to a day of work. Feels really good. I surely don't do that everyday but whenever I can afford and when the other person really seems to need it, usually old people. Other times I buy a sandwitch to a kid and so on. Small random acts of kindness which also motivate me to earn more so one day to be able to give more. I surely can't change their lives but maybe I can change their day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that 2 days after the above, I was in the capital city and got very late and missed the last bus to my home city. There was very little chance for me to get home that night and I would have to pay a hotel room ($40), but I decided I would try anyways.
4 different stranger people picked me up from one city to another, and I got home. Actually one person picked me up twice, and made sure he would leave me in a safe place to wait for another car that goes to my city. Eventually my whole ride was free because none of them accepted any money, they just wanted to help, and I got more prof that most people want to do good.

Thanks for sharing. I would say that what you and I experienced are due to the fact that as humans there is a currency that is based on us giving of ourselves and helping others. Think about it, while I love money it is man made. If there was no money we would be interacting with each other in different ways.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Breath = an inhale and an exhale… this is how I see giving and receiving…I do my best to keep it balanced…
About a year ago when I got back home from the airport, I was thinking all the time how far human imagination can go: making a bunch of steel and aluminum fly in the sky. In every breath I felt I was connected to the world and I was giving and receiving from others through the air we all share. I never had that feeling again since then, but it was totally amazing.

I'll be watching this and remembering to always be grateful and give back.

have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/user/GiveBackFilms/videos?view=0&flow=grid

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I give because I love to and I also love receiving…where I give doesn't necessarily equate to where my receiving comes from…

@PeeVee great gesture of kindness. When we give we feel good (or at least I do) - when we feel good great things happen!

Amen to that.

:headbanger:
I don't want to diminish your cosmic epiphany but maybe you're walking out of it with the wrong lesson.

The universe didn't do shit.
Your good deed set the precedent for how you interpreted the rest of the day's events.
The moment you acted positively to the stranger you put a filter over your vision that changed the way you experienced life.
The bad didn't seem so bad, and the good was amplified.

To the layman it does indeed feel like the universe is on your side. A few thousand years ago Zeus would have been your benefactor.
But remember that it's not mystical or magical.
You DIRECTLY improved your own day through action.
YOU get props for that.
Screw the universe.
I wouldn't call it an epiphany, there were definitely some reminders about lessons I have learned over the years. Sometimes you just have to revisit the basics.

I like your take on "put a filter over your vision" and I can't argue that I improved my own day through action but it my book you can't deny that there is a form of currency that improves our life when we help others. People that do bad things to others but have a positive filter over their vision don't typically do well for long. That's just my personal experience.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Some funny but sad shit happened to me around 5:30 am this morning and it's related to the original post in this thread.

On my way to my slowlane I stopped by the same gas station and as I pulled in I recognized the person standing by a car that was parked at the pump on the opposite side of the pump I pulled up to. He gets in his car, drives in a circle and parks at the pump again. He gets out, starts walking towards me and starts to say: yo man can you.... and I stopped him and said: yea yea yea I know, I helped you last time I saw you. He says: oh no no no I just need jumper cables. I replied: no no no no no

I don't mind helping people but damn, do something to help yourself. Don't be a leach. Figure shit out. Ok rant over.

Nothing productive in this post but it was a very interesting and coincidental event.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I like to help people when they don't ask for the help.

Someone in a Home Depot parking lot looked in need. Turned out he only needed gas for his car. I drove him 2 miles to a gas station and back to his vehicle after paying for his gas. His car started and he was on his way with a wave and a smile. We did not speak the same language so all communication was minimal.

Three incidents with people in wheelchairs. I watched one moving very slowly down the street. I pulled my vehicle over and wheeled him about a block to his destination. (I should mention that it was probably 107 degrees at the time)

Another time in the middle of a busy intersection someone was stuck and was spinning circles in his haste to cross. I jumped out of my vehicle and stopped all the cars by jumping in front of them. Then grabbed his chair and took him across the road.

I witnessed a man in a chair spin and fall backwards into the road when his wheel went off the curb. I ran over and picked this guy up off the road and put him back into his chair. He reeked of urine and I assume he had been drinking. I walked with him a little to make sure he was okay.

It feels good to me to help those that have a hard time helping themselves.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I also try to help homeless even if they are begging. Usually by talking to them a bit and trying to have a bit of fun. Then leave them with a few bucks. What is a few bucks to most of us? I know what it is to them. I have even sat or laid down with them for pictures. Too bad I don't know where these are because I had a couple of good ones. :) It is nice to see a smile on their faces.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Three incidents with people in wheelchairs.

This reminds me of years ago when I was coming up to cross train tracks in Tempe. A younger man in a wheel chair was hastily crossing so as not to hold up traffic but his backpack fell open & his art supplied spilled out. I turned on my hazards & blocked the lane & got out to help him re-pack as cars started honking at me. He was embarrassed & I could feel it. I was like, let me grab that stuff, these assholes can wait a few seconds. It took me a few seconds & some jerk laid on the horn, at which I walked around & asked him if he had a problem with me. No response. LOL. I got the guy packed up & off & we had a chuckle about it.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
It has been said that money only magnifies who we are.

So if you're a jerk when you're poor, you'll just be a bigger jerk when you have money. Same applies for those with a golden heart. Wealth of a millionaire, heart of a monk.

D

DeletedUser394

So if you're a jerk when you're poor, you'll just be a bigger jerk when you have money. Same applies for those with a golden heart. Wealth of a millionaire, heart of a monk.

Yeah, I'm slowly starting to realize how much of an a**hole I am. :)

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa

Zen said something to me last week along those lines. It really made me think about WHO I AM and WHO I WILL BE when I do reach my financial goals. I give to people all the time, even when I really can't afford to. Money is something that can be had easily to some, but to others, it's always eludes them.

I'm a huge believer in helping those that can't help themselves. Just the other day, a woman locked her keys in her car while it was running (how the hell you do that is beyond me!) I happen to live just a few minutes away and have a lockout kit, so I got it, unlocked her car, and refused the money she offered. Stuff like this happens daily and if I'm able to help, I do it. Usually my day goes by much easier and other parts of my life seem to fall in to place accordingly.

D

DeletedUser394

Nothing wrong with being an a**hole if you're honest about it.

Honestly, depends entirely on the situation at hand and my mood at the time (the latter part I'm pretty sure applies to anyone).

There are times when I'll go out of my way to help people, and times when I want them to get the hell out of my way. :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Since I am on a roll..... Here is an old post from 2008. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-beggar-on-the-street.17815/#post-332923
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The main point of this thread is with regards to beggars. I agree with the general discussion that handing money over to people asking on the street is not the proper thing to do.

There are some people that just don't have the ability to sort life out. Even with handouts from the government. It is real difficult to even figure out a bus schedule. Daily activities that most of us take for granted are a major burden to them.
There are people that cannot figure out how to use a cell phone. Can't count money...

There is not a way to teach them how to function the way you and I do. They get left behind in life and society does not know how to deal with them.

Mental illness is easy to spot. People tend to stay away from them because they are unpredictable.
How do you help them?

I grew up in a poor area. I knew a guy that was tall, good looking, and had a pretty normal life. In his early teens, he developed a brain tumor. By the age of 18, he had gone through a couple of brain surgeries and had lost one of his eyes. His mental capacity was now at about the level of an 8 year old.

Because of the brain problems, he was not able to use one side of his body very well. He dragged one of his feet when he walked. He was hideous to look at.

He had siezures regularly. Sometimes people would call the police because they did not know what was going on and he would end up in jail instead of the hospital. He once had a seizure in church and the police took him to jail from there. He was homeless and would sleep in old ratty motels or find abandoned houses.

His bitterness toward the world would get the best of him sometimes. He could not formulate sentences. He knew what he wanted to say but was unable to find words. People would give him a hard time due to his appearance and he would lash out... and end up in jail again.

He had a tender heart and a soul but the world was cruel to him. Everywhere he went, people would stare. He would get escorted out of restaurants and other public places.

He did not shower regulary. The coolness of the water would send him into siezures.

Through all this, he continued to maintain a life to the best of his ability. I helped him get an apartment. Everytime he moved, I helped him. When he needed something, I would help him get it. He did my yardwork for me. Even with his physical problems, he was strong as a bull.

When society did him an injustice, I would stand up for him.

He was always outdoors and in the sun. That did him in. He had a skin graph on his face that covered his eye socket. The graph was taken from the inside of his leg. He developed melanoma on that skin.

He slowly got weaker and was not able to move around very well. He never gave up hope. His family was informed. His sister showed up to visit him in the last couple days of his life.

I took him outside for a walk in a wheelchair. It was the last time that he saw daylight...

There were only five people at his funeral. Although he came from a large family, only one of his blood relatives attended. It was a sad life for him.

This is where my soft spot comes from. The feebleness of my efforts don't go very far these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
It was a sad life for him.

The point to understand is no matter how small your role, the world would not be the same, or complete without you. Nothing would be the same.

If someone is in need, help them. You give for the benefit of others, but also for yourself. To give is to live, it cleanses the conscience and gives you the feeling of contribution to society (which is a primal human need btw).
We are designed to give, and to not do that is against your very nature.

IT'S a need of yours, give to others and fill it :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.