The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Duct tape and bailing wire: business software

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
Many years ago, I worked with a company that made and sold machine tools (lathe and mill machines). This was a smallish company, perhaps 20 or so employees. My project there was to take a bunch of software packages they were using and attempt to make them work together. In the end, we wound up customizing something from a local vendor and writing some of our own code. The initial cost was somewhat higher, but it did everything they wanted, the way they wanted it done.

Sixteen years later, I find out they're still using the same software. Although it has been updated and enhanced to keep current.

I have been away from the business software world since then, doing other software-related things. Recently, I have had reason to look into this area again and so far I have seen much of the same: hundreds of different software packages, all on different platforms, unless you want to pay a ton of money and implement some kind of gigantic behemoth system that is really designed for very large enterprises.

My initial thoughts are that there still seems to be a void between accounting software like QuickBooks, and large ERP software systems. But I don't have the perspective of someone running a business, I have the perspective of someone who'se been stuck in a cubicle writing code for the past 16 years.

So, those with experience using or working with software for small to medium businesses: what are your thoughts of the current state of business software? Could development of an integrated, easy-to-use platform be a worthwhile project?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
My initial thoughts are that there still seems to be a void between accounting software like QuickBooks, and large ERP software systems. But I don't have the perspective of someone running a business, I have the perspective of someone who'se been stuck in a cubicle writing code for the past 16 years.

So, those with experience using or working with software for small to medium businesses: what are your thoughts of the current state of business software? Could development of an integrated, easy-to-use platform be a worthwhile project?
There are a couple that come to mind: Zoho One is surprisingly powerful for the $30/user/month it costs.
Odoo is another one that has been mentioned to me by @ZCP but I haven't had a chance to check it out.

The money may be more on the setup/implementation side of these softwares that already exist.
For example, I've been meaning to look at one of these, but I'm assuming it's going to take me a week of dedicated time to setup. I don't have that time in my schedule at the moment. But the longer I wait, the longer it's going to take to import/integrate everything. It's a terrible catch 22.

nowap

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jan 24, 2020
You mean "SAP, but for small businesses" or at least.. you don't need to hire a 'consultant' for half a year (or longer) to make the switch.

Bbefore my 'fastlane adventure' I worked for several mid to large size businesses, all technical/engineering related .. and it was just mostly different separate systems and Excelsheets, network folders, plus the mentioned duct tape.

Would we hard to make a 'one size fits all' for these businesses I guess.. and I think in most businesses there a separation between accounting (management, financial department have access) and just normal business processes for everyday employees.

Just some systems that I can think of right now:
- purchasing,
- stock levels,
- project management,
- maintenance records (machinery/equipment)
- (work) hour logging
- employee benefit stuff, cost declarations, etc
- SOP management
- a lot more ...

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
So, those with experience using or working with software for small to medium businesses: what are your thoughts of the current state of business software?

It still sucks. Data is still largely siloed, and trying to get data in and out of various vendors costs a not-insignificant amount of time and money.

Could development of an integrated, easy-to-use platform be a worthwhile project?

The challenge will remain the vendors and getting them to provide ways to get data in and out of their systems in a way that doesn't fall apart every time they decide to make a change. If you can pull it off, then sure, there's a lot of value. Of course you also have to be able to sell that value to businesses, and often they'll put up with a lot of pain in this area because that's the way they've always done it.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I write custom business software for a living, and can say that nothing has changed. The problem is that different industries, and even companies within industries, need different features. That's accomodated in stuff like SAP and Oracle by teams of programmers that write custom code and/or configure some of their hundreds of modules for each client during their rollout.

For smaller companies that can't afford a $20m+ software package, they're left either with separate best of breed software packages for each of their departments, or an all in one system that doesn't do everything they need, but does some of the basics. Smaller companies go with the all in one package, and then bolt on manual processes in Excel, Access or the like. Larger companies buy high end software for each of their departments (Salesforce.com for the sales team, for example), and then largely let them operate in their own silos.

Custom software can fill in the breach between the Oracles of the world and the second tier products. Reporting systems that will bring data from separate systems together is a relatively low-cost undertaking that can add a lot of value. Full systems that run a company can be developed, too. Depending on the requirements, they can be pretty reasonably priced.

AudreyHodges

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 19, 2020
New South Wales Hornsby
Thank you for sharing your experience, I am also interested in this topic. I've been a salaried worker all my life and lost my job during the pandemic. Then I had financial difficulties and realized that I had to come up with something to fix my financial situation so that I can pay the mortgage and bills again. My family was counting on me! So I started selling car parts and I have to admit that I get a good income. But I have problems with accounting, so I am looking for a reliable company to get professional help with it. While searching, I found Xolo on https://www.xolo.io/, and it looks like the company can be trusted. Anyway, I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Last edited:

logef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Feb 19, 2008
There is a category of software designed for Enterprise Application Integration(EAI) aka middleware. The software consists of a message bus architecture for data transport through which all applications connect to one another. It has adapters for databases, web services, files etc. Most software applications can be easily connected to one another through it.

Tibco is the most well known though there are competitors like Microsoft BizTalk and open source equivalents. Generally, only medium to large businesses can afford it though open source equivalents could be setup by a business themselves.

Creating a similar one from scratch might not be feasible unless you make something new and disruptive. You could become an expert in these existing technologies and provide consulting services to businesses that want to implement them.

cviji

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 9, 2020
I know a bit about this Space.

Enterprise: Oracle, SAP, Workday
Mid sized: NetSuite, Odoo, IFS (Odoo is quite interesting as its an opensource, can develop custom on top of)
Smaller: Xero, Quickbooks (which are quite versatile as they have "apps" you can use on top of them.)

There are also a host of other product that are made industry specific.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.