Many years ago, I worked with a company that made and sold machine tools (lathe and mill machines). This was a smallish company, perhaps 20 or so employees. My project there was to take a bunch of software packages they were using and attempt to make them work together. In the end, we wound up customizing something from a local vendor and writing some of our own code. The initial cost was somewhat higher, but it did everything they wanted, the way they wanted it done.
Sixteen years later, I find out they're still using the same software. Although it has been updated and enhanced to keep current.
I have been away from the business software world since then, doing other software-related things. Recently, I have had reason to look into this area again and so far I have seen much of the same: hundreds of different software packages, all on different platforms, unless you want to pay a ton of money and implement some kind of gigantic behemoth system that is really designed for very large enterprises.
My initial thoughts are that there still seems to be a void between accounting software like QuickBooks, and large ERP software systems. But I don't have the perspective of someone running a business, I have the perspective of someone who'se been stuck in a cubicle writing code for the past 16 years.
So, those with experience using or working with software for small to medium businesses: what are your thoughts of the current state of business software? Could development of an integrated, easy-to-use platform be a worthwhile project?
Sixteen years later, I find out they're still using the same software. Although it has been updated and enhanced to keep current.
I have been away from the business software world since then, doing other software-related things. Recently, I have had reason to look into this area again and so far I have seen much of the same: hundreds of different software packages, all on different platforms, unless you want to pay a ton of money and implement some kind of gigantic behemoth system that is really designed for very large enterprises.
My initial thoughts are that there still seems to be a void between accounting software like QuickBooks, and large ERP software systems. But I don't have the perspective of someone running a business, I have the perspective of someone who'se been stuck in a cubicle writing code for the past 16 years.
So, those with experience using or working with software for small to medium businesses: what are your thoughts of the current state of business software? Could development of an integrated, easy-to-use platform be a worthwhile project?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
