The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropshipping branded chinese items but branding them yourself

Marketing, social media, advertising

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So I am currently dropshipping some products but ran into one and it seems to have a name to it, and even in Australia they seem to sell it, but there is no website for the product but according to my research the actual name of the company is based in china. Will this cause a legal issue for me since I am selling a product but using my own logo? From what I understand they do the same thing there, they just keep re-branding items once they die off.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I'm guessing that nobody wants to answer this question, it's too vague and gets into legal areas, I'd ask the company making it, and if it's a larger market then ask a lawyer that specializes in something like this.
Downside of asking a lawyer? $$ spent
Downside to not asking? if it's a larger market then the downside is $$,$$$ so it's def worth $$ to check it out.

Personally:
Cheap items or something that is common (fidget spinners for example) , no big deal
lawn mowers or cars? then definitely get a lawyer involved

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Interesting.

Personally I will do it to earn the legal fee first.

If the product isn’t making money then there is no monetary incentive for me to find out and no one will be bothered to sue you even if they can.

But if it is making money there is no reason for you to save the consultation fee.

I will take the chance on this way.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I'm guessing that nobody wants to answer this question, it's too vague and gets into legal areas, I'd ask the company making it, and if it's a larger market then ask a lawyer that specializes in something like this.
Downside of asking a lawyer? $$ spent
Downside to not asking? if it's a larger market then the downside is $$,$$$ so it's def worth $$ to check it out.

Personally:
Cheap items or something that is common (fidget spinners for example) , no big deal
lawn mowers or cars? then definitely get a lawyer involved
it's just some mobile accessories, but a chinese company makes it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So I am currently dropshipping some products but ran into one and it seems to have a name to it, and even in Australia they seem to sell it, but there is no website for the product but according to my research the actual name of the company is based in china. Will this cause a legal issue for me since I am selling a product but using my own logo? From what I understand they do the same thing there, they just keep re-branding items once they die off.
Chinese companies often sell their own products under different brand names, and it is common for them to re-brand for customers.

I am not providing legal advice, just the voice of experience, but I know that Chinese companies rarely if ever pursue copycats even in China where their products are frequently copied.

Check the items to see if there are any claims of patent, trademark or design copyright ownership on the item or the label. If there are, there might be a problem that would stop me from importing and selling under my own brand.

In general, if I was in your position, I would re-label and sell the product.

The biggest concern is that the brand might be owned by a Western company, manufacturing in China in which case the westerners might sue.

If you like to send me confidentially via PM the company name I will check them out for you. I haven't imported for many years, and often help out Fastlane members this way, and I know the secrets of many of them, but they are safe with me.

Walter

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Chinese companies often sell their own products under different brand names, and it is common for them to re-brand for customers.

I am not providing legal advice, just the voice of experience, but I know that Chinese companies rarely if ever pursue copycats even in China where their products are frequently copied.

Check the items to see if there are any claims of patent, trademark or design copyright ownership on the item or the label. If there are, there might be a problem that would stop me from importing and selling under my own brand.

In general, if I was in your position, I would re-label and sell the product.

The biggest concern is that the brand might be owned by a Western company, manufacturing in China in which case the westerners might sue.

If you like to send me confidentially via PM the company name I will check them out for you. I haven't imported for many years, and often help out Fastlane members this way, and I know the secrets of many of them, but they are safe with me.

Walter
That's what I mean't. Thanks for your help. Would you happen to know much about Youtube videos? I wanted to take a small youtube video no more than 5 seconds and use it for my video ad. Commercial purposes so was worried about copyright issues.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
That's what I mean't. Thanks for your help. Would you happen to know much about Youtube videos? I wanted to take a small youtube video no more than 5 seconds and use it for my video ad. Commercial purposes so was worried about copyright issues.
As you will now know from my reply to your PM, the brand name is a trademark and I found the owner of the trademark, and it is a Chinese company.

With no other claims to ownership, such as copyright, I see no problem in your plans.

Incidentally, although they own the trademark, they don't even make an ownership claim by using the ® symbol, so that indicates a couldn't care less attitude.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.