The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Driving Traffic to Idea. Feedback on Optimizations

Idea threads
G

Guest92dX

Hi Everyone,

First off: thanks to @eliquid and @Andy Black and @SinisterLex for giving me some pointers.

I'm currently driving traffic to an idea I'm working on.

Part of me thinks I may not have enough data to be sure about anything.

What I'm doing:

driving traffic by showing ads on competitor domain names. Aka, siphon traffic. Seems to be decent I think.

Don't know what CPM means though or what that number means.

Screenshot_2017_09_21_at_1_23_31_PM_Display_2.png
[/url][/IMG]

Note: Part of me thinks the screenshots won't show and are broken.

If you have a better suggestion than imgur please let me know.

People are going to the website and directly clicking on a link, which takes them to the form I have. They check it out and go directly to the form. I'm showing a conversion on the website and have conversions set as email signups, which takes them to a form to buy and also have link clicks set as conversions so I know when someone goes to the form.

I currently have 0 form submissions :(

The idea is a test/experiment to see if I can build what I think is a useful product for an industry.

My question:

Should I be pumping people into a form? Will they pre-order on a form? Should I just collect the emails? I'm already trying to collect the emails on the website. There are three or four ways to get the email on my site. I realized that my domain email was down last night because I paused it.

Google approved my campaign last night while I was sleeping, which sucks.

I think I asked all the questions.

Cliff notes in case I was confusing or too long winded:
-- getting traffic
-- have pre-order form
-- should I stop the pre-order form?
-- why are removed keywords displaying for clicks (think I forgot to ask that one)?
-- what else should I do about CPM, which says like $113 or something. (may have forgot to ask about this one)

Edit: Imgur didn't work so I tried something different

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Everyone,

First off: thanks to @eliquid and @Andy Black and @SinisterLex for giving me some pointers.

I'm currently driving traffic to an idea I'm working on.

Part of me thinks I may not have enough data to be sure about anything.

What I'm doing:

driving traffic by showing ads on competitor domain names. Aka, siphon traffic. Seems to be decent I think.

Don't know what CPM means though or what that number means.

Screenshot_2017_09_21_at_1_23_31_PM_Display_2.png
[/url][/IMG]

Note: Part of me thinks the screenshots won't show and are broken.

If you have a better suggestion than imgur please let me know.

People are going to the website and directly clicking on a link, which takes them to the form I have. They check it out and go directly to the form. I'm showing a conversion on the website and have conversions set as email signups, which takes them to a form to buy and also have link clicks set as conversions so I know when someone goes to the form.

I currently have 0 form submissions :(

The idea is a test/experiment to see if I can build what I think is a useful product for an industry.

My question:

Should I be pumping people into a form? Will they pre-order on a form? Should I just collect the emails? I'm already trying to collect the emails on the website. There are three or four ways to get the email on my site. I realized that my domain email was down last night because I paused it.

Google approved my campaign last night while I was sleeping, which sucks.

I think I asked all the questions.

Cliff notes in case I was confusing or too long winded:
-- getting traffic
-- have pre-order form
-- should I stop the pre-order form?
-- why are removed keywords displaying for clicks (think I forgot to ask that one)?
-- what else should I do about CPM, which says like $113 or something. (may have forgot to ask about this one)

Edit: Imgur didn't work so I tried something different
Just paste images into your post. Imgur works too.

CPM = Cost Per Thousand Impressions ... hide it if you're running Paid Search. (It's actually Google's RPM so an important metric but ignore it for now.)

I wouldn't start an account bidding on competitor brand names, domain names, or product brand names.

1) Your CTR will likely suck and your QS will drop and affect your whole account.

2) It's dubious anyway. You're stealing someone else's branded traffic. Do you want to burn those bridges already? What data are you even buying?

3) It can disappear quickly if the competitor starts bidding on their own brand name, or pushes bids if they're already bidding on their brand name. Part of what you're building is a funnel that should keep working, not disappear at the whim of a competitor.

4) The conversion rate likely sucks for those visitors. They're not looking for you, they're looking for your competitor.

Not sure about your user journey. I can't visualise it from your description.

I don't know what you mean about deleted keywords still getting traffic.

G

Guest92dX

Just paste images into your post. Imgur works too.

CPM = Cost Per Thousand Impressions ... hide it if you're running Paid Search. (It's actually Google's RPM so an important metric but ignore it for now.)

I wouldn't start an account bidding on competitor brand names, domain names, or product brand names.

1) Your CTR will likely suck and your QS will drop and affect your whole account.

2) It's dubious anyway. You're stealing someone else's branded traffic. Do you want to burn those bridges already? What data are you even buying?

3) It can disappear quickly if the competitor starts bidding on their own brand name, or pushes bids if they're already bidding on their brand name. Part of what you're building is a funnel that should keep working, not disappear at the whim of a competitor.

4) The conversion rate likely sucks for those visitors. They're not looking for you, they're looking for your competitor.

Not sure about your user journey. I can't visualise it from your description.

I don't know what you mean about deleted keywords still getting traffic.

Hey! What's up Andy? Always good to hear from you.

The information is discouraging to say the least.

I used an AppSumo Growth hack to tell and establish myself as an "alternative" to their product.

Yeah, I definitely get what you're saying. I made every change you suggested, and I'm get 0% traffic through paid search. In fact, NONE and I repeat NONE of my competitors get traffic through paid search. I can't find their keywords. All of them scaled through direct, organic, and search traffic etc. They haven't scaled through paid advertising. Some of my competitors are in the top 100 or 200 and one is in the top 25. Of my Niche.

Time to talk about the journey:

1. They see the ad
2. They click on it.
3. Website here.
4. Enter email --> taken to pre-order form for SaaS product
5. Click button about being taken to pre-order --> taken to pre-order form for SaaS product (I just changed my website to reflect that it isn't launched)
6. Form finish and payment = pre-order.
7. Every Pre-order adds to possible product build.
8. Everyone has a 3 month free trial so there's no purchase. It's just ammo for the developers to know something is coming.

Does this help more?

My product is actually complimentary to some of the products. My product is also a different competitor to some products.

This is why I started bidding with the "Alternative" keyword as a hack.

I'm not trying to burn bridges. Man, that alone makes me feel bad. I really care about this industry. I really about this stuff.

I probably care too much in life, and I can't help it. I do my not to even litter.

So, I'm about to start trying to drive organic traffic too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey! What's up Andy? Always good to hear from you.

The information is discouraging to say the least.

I used an AppSumo Growth hack to tell and establish myself as an "alternative" to their product.

Yeah, I definitely get what you're saying. I made every change you suggested, and I'm get 0% traffic through paid search. In fact, NONE and I repeat NONE of my competitors get traffic through paid search. I can't find their keywords. All of them scaled through direct, organic, and search traffic etc. They haven't scaled through paid advertising. Some of my competitors are in the top 100 or 200 and one is in the top 25. Of my Niche.

Time to talk about the journey:

1. They see the ad
2. They click on it.
3. Website here.
4. Enter email --> taken to pre-order form for SaaS product
5. Click button about being taken to pre-order --> taken to pre-order form for SaaS product (I just changed my website to reflect that it isn't launched)
6. Form finish and payment = pre-order.
7. Every Pre-order adds to possible product build.
8. Everyone has a 3 month free trial so there's no purchase. It's just ammo for the developers to know something is coming.

Does this help more?

My product is actually complimentary to some of the products. My product is also a different competitor to some products.

This is why I started bidding with the "Alternative" keyword as a hack.

I'm not trying to burn bridges. Man, that alone makes me feel bad. I really care about this industry. I really about this stuff.

I probably care too much in life, and I can't help it. I do my not to even litter.

So, I'm about to start trying to drive organic traffic too.
Take what I said with a pinch of salt. I'm used to cut-throat industries where people are trying to steal each others branded traffic.

If you're offering something complimentary, then that could be a great angle to take.

G

Guest92dX

Take what I said with a pinch of salt. I'm used to cut-throat industries where people are trying to steal each others branded traffic.

If you're offering something complimentary, then that could be a great angle to take.

Doih, I should list it as complimentary. Why did I think to list it as "Alternative"?

This is a cut throat industry. What was I thinking? I'll change my ads.

P.S.

I doubled down on efforts. I sent out "tips" to newsletters. I'm going to pitch blogs tomorrow as well.

Bonus sauce: I hit up every group I'm in related to the industry. I even added more to cover my bases. I'm waiting on them to accept me.

Let me know.

Best,

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Doih, I should list it as complimentary. Why did I think to list it as "Alternative"?

This is a cut throat industry. What was I thinking? I'll change my ads.

P.S.

I doubled down on efforts. I sent out "tips" to newsletters. I'm going to pitch blogs tomorrow as well.

Bonus sauce: I hit up every group I'm in related to the industry. I even added more to cover my bases. I'm waiting on them to accept me.

Let me know.

Best,
Oh yes, don't forget Facebook groups and forums.

How to use forums (and Facebook groups)

millerad

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 5, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
I like the idea of trying Facebook groups and forums, but those are hard to get into sometimes. You could try cold messaging on Facebook or emailing your customers directly and just trying to get some feedback on your ideas. If you get a potential customer on the phone talking about your product, they will tell you what they want, don't want, and how you can make your idea better. At least in my experience.

G

Guest92dX

@millerad

This has not been taken off the table. Direct messaging on Facebook from groups is not shelved.

I have been doing this to differentiate my offering and will follow up with people tomorrow.

All of this is an involved process. Figuring out how to spread time is hard. I have maybe a good 44 days to test this.

Best,

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
you are basically selling a high ticket item to a brand new visitor?

think about what makes you different from all the other people that do the same thing. is your price better? product better? etc, how does your page look? etc

personally i hate sites that hardsell upfront but thats just my opinion, im sure it works but like the idea of softselling better

G

Guest92dX

Hey, I don't know what you mean. Would you explain?

I don't know what you mean by high ticket item or hard sell or soft sell.

Please explain what you mean. I'm interested in hearing. I would like to know both sides of the argument if you can articulate both sides well.

I'm sure there's something to learn. I'm asking for clarity on my workflow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.