The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dr. SEO Audits & Triaging Your Websites

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey

Hey Team,

I wanted to start this thread as a means to help you if:

1) You're struggling with getting your website ranked/found by Google/Bing/Yahoo/YouTube Videos getting 0 views

2) Point you in the right direction if you don't have a website built out yet.

3) A current SEO company has been causing you to hemorrhage cash into a nebulous fire of SEO verbiage (I don't want your business, Just want to shed light on what's happening on the back-end of your efforts).

After dealing with 1,000's of websites in dozens of verticals (just got done auditing a Hair Wig E-Commerce Website) I'd like to say that I've seen it all but, I live to put my skills to the test. SO, come one - come all.

*If you're uncomfortable dropping your business website(s) links on this thread, feel free to shoot me a message*

I generated 152 free audits this summer alone for members in rather large Facebook groups because I believe in saving anyone and everyone from my mistakes.

There are 0 niches/industries that are off limits. Like I said, I've worked with/seen it all.

If you don't want to drop your website/send the link over, here's what I suggest you start with:

1. Keyword Research
Free Tools I use: Keyword Finder aka KWFinder: Keyword Research and Analysis Tool
-It doesn't matter if you're ranking for "Best Real Estate Agent in X City" if NO ONE is searching for it. The keywords you want to rank for have either 1) Volume Behind Them or 2) Buyer Intent
-Can't find a keyword or don't want to use the tool? Shoot me a line and I'll see what I can find

2. Site Structure
After watching the recent algo updates on Big G, I really think a website needs to have at the bare minimum in its menu & footer:
1. Home
2. About
3. Contact
4. FAQ
5. Blog
6. Service Pages (if relevant)
7. Disclaimer
8. Privacy Policy
9. Do NOT embed you Google Map aka Google My Business Listing into the global footer
10. For godsakes, please make sure your Copyright is the current year (I bet some of you still have Copyright 2017)

3. Social Profiles linking out to their respective platforms:
1. Facebook
2. Youtube
3. Instagram
4. Twitter
5. Tumblr/Any other properties that you might be able to pump content on

4. YouTube SEO
-The YouTube algorithm shares a commonality with Big G and I like to think I cracked the code on ranking videos but the importance of YouTube, if relevant to you, is releasing videos in an episode fashion meaning, routinely. There is no magic number on how often or how long (the amount of time someone spends watching your video is actually a ranking factor!), just that consistency is key. Point your videos BACK at your website! Integrate the videos in your blog posts!....which brings me to a final point:

5. Blog SEO

Here's how I structure every client website, all of my own assets, and suggest you do the same:

A) Top of the post = H1 Tag (Title + Keyword)
B) Few lines about the post with the keyword within the 5-8 first words of the FIRST sentence
C) H2 Tag (Modifier + Keyword)
D) Paragraph about said topic
E) H3 Tag (Modifier + Keyword)
F) Paragraph about said topic
G) H4 Tag (Modifier + Keyword or Keyword + Modifier)
H) Paragraph about said topic
I) H4 or H5 Tags (Repeat steps G-H until you're done writing)
J) Hyperlink a keyword that you're trying to rank for to your NEXT post / Hyperlink a keyword that you're trying to rank for on the Previous Post (This is called Silo'ing)
K) Make sure you have images. Rule of thumb = no solid page of text, there needs to be an image to break up the space. Make sure your images have alt text in them.
L) If you're going to embed videos, make sure that they're topically and keyword relevant
M) Authority outbound link (yes, share the love and send a link out to an authority page...if you're writing about business and mention Harvard, send Harvard a link or better yet, Send MJ a link!)

6) Bonus = Schema

This is a topic on it's own but suffice it to say, schema has more weight to it and making a solid comeback.

Note: I didn't say anything about ranking your Google My Business pages...even though I can and do optimize them for people...SEO's ruined the effectiveness of them and I wouldn't hang my hat on it if you need it to rank for lead gen purposes.

That's all I got for now in a brain-dump thread Post so I'll leave you with my favorite quote of all time...."He Who Makes a Beast Out of Himself, Gets Rid of the Pain of Being a Man"

To Your Success,
-Dr. Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Hey Team,

1) You're struggling with getting your website ranked/found by Google/Bing/Yahoo/YouTube Videos getting 0 views

3) A current SEO company has been causing you to hemorrhage cash into a nebulous fire of SEO verbiage (I don't want your business, Just want to shed light on what's happening on the back-end of your efforts).

After dealing with 1,000's of websites in dozens of verticals (just got done auditing a Hair Wig E-Commerce Website) I'd like to say that I've seen it all but, I live to put my skills to the test. SO, come one - come all.

*If you're uncomfortable dropping your business website(s) links on this thread, feel free to shoot me a message*

I generated 152 free audits this summer alone for members in rather large Facebook groups because I believe in saving anyone and everyone from my mistakes.

There are 0 niches/industries that are off limits. Like I said, I've worked with/seen it all.

If you don't want to drop your website/send the link over, here's what I suggest you start with:

1. Keyword Research
Free Tools I use: Keyword Finder aka KWFinder: Keyword Research and Analysis Tool
-It doesn't matter if you're ranking for "Best Real Estate Agent in X City" if NO ONE is searching for it. The keywords you want to rank for have either 1) Volume Behind Them or 2) Buyer Intent
-Can't find a keyword or don't want to use the tool? Shoot me a line and I'll see what I can find

2. Site Structure
After watching the recent algo updates on Big G, I really think a website needs to have at the bare minimum in its menu & footer:
1. Home
2. About
3. Contact
4. FAQ
5. Blog
7. Disclaimer
8. Privacy Policy
9. Do NOT embed you Google Map aka Google My Business Listing into the global footer
10. For godsakes, please make sure your Copyright is the current year (I bet some of you still have Copyright 2017)

1. Facebook
2. Youtube
3. Instagram
4. Twitter

4. YouTube SEO
-The YouTube algorithm shares a commonality with Big G and I like to think I cracked the code on ranking videos but the importance of YouTube, if relevant to you, is releasing videos in an episode fashion meaning, routinely. There is no magic number on how often or how long (the amount of time someone spends watching your video is actually a ranking factor!), just that consistency is key. Point your videos BACK at your website! Integrate the videos in your blog posts!....which brings me to a final point:

5. Blog SEO

Here's how I structure every client website, all of my own assets, and suggest you do the same:

B) Few lines about the post with the keyword within the 5-8 first words of the FIRST sentence
J) Hyperlink a keyword that you're trying to rank for to your NEXT post / Hyperlink a keyword that you're trying to rank for on the Previous Post (This is called Silo'ing)
K) Make sure you have images. Rule of thumb = no solid page of text, there needs to be an image to break up the space. Make sure your images have alt text in them.
L) If you're going to embed videos, make sure that they're topically and keyword relevant
M) Authority outbound link (yes, share the love and send a link out to an authority page...if you're writing about business and mention Harvard, send Harvard a link or better yet, Send MJ a link!)

6) Bonus = Schema

This is a topic on it's own but suffice it to say, schema has more weight to it and making a solid comeback.

Note: I didn't say anything about ranking your Google My Business pages...even though I can and do optimize them for people...SEO's ruined the effectiveness of them and I wouldn't hang my hat on it if you need it to rank for lead gen purposes.

That's all I got for now in a brain-dump thread Post so I'll leave you with my favorite quote of all time...."He Who Makes a Beast Out of Himself, Gets Rid of the Pain of Being a Man"

To Your Success,
-Dr. Matt

Thank you for dropping this knowledge bomb. Great, simple, actionable. I will be re-reading this tomorrow and applying it to my own sites.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey
More on this?
I'm trying to figure out a way to teach/show how schema works in a safe and digestible form. If you attempt to apply schema on your site and have one character, like a comma or period, in the wrong place...it would crater/tank your whole site and render it useless until restored. I'll hit the books and figure out a way. I can always walk you through schema on your own site if you'd like?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@drmattolesiak blew my mind with his audit of my website. So much actionable info.

You guys would be crazy to not send him a PM.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm surprised this thread died on the vine.

Guy offers free auditing, gets a top recommendation from a forum legend, and... that's it?

If I still had my website live I'd have loved to let you publicly audit it.

This thread could easily become a gold thread for anyone looking to optimize their websites and have great discussions about what works vs what doesn't.

Most of us here are in ecomm in one way or another - we really should have more "reference" threads like this with tips and tricks that people can literally bank on.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Guy offers free auditing, gets a top recommendation from a forum legend, and... that's it?

There's a ton of free audit tools out there. It's nothing new.

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey

If I still had my website live I'd have loved to let you publicly audit it.

This thread could easily become a gold thread for anyone looking to optimize their websites and have great discussions about what works vs what doesn't.

Most of us here are in ecomm in one way or another - we really should have more "reference" threads like this with tips and tricks that people can literally bank on.
I do HEAVY SEO for e-commerce clients/stores on just about every platform out there. They're a massive undertaking but when you manage to rank an e-commerce store organically for competitive keyword terms...you can start backing off on the paid traffic and ultimately put way more money in your pocket. Gotta love it!

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey
What single variable SEO tests have you carried out?
I've built two similar sites on multiple occasions side by side and tried to get penalized with my test site and then brought it back from the sandbox, for example. I run TLDR on every project and sometimes tweak one or two keyword amounts by a fraction only....we could get out into the weeds on this for sure.

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey
Hey Guys,
I'm just going to take the torch on the SEO front for the forum and run with it...in my first post on this thread I mentioned Schema. Here is the most recent Google algorithm update on it...I know some of us love those 5 star reviews to populate for our businesses but the algo is getting smarter:

Google Algorithm Update 2019: Google Search Reviews Algorithm Updated
By Dileep Thekkethil - Last updated on September 17th, 2019

Table of Content
September 16, 2019 – Google Search Reviews Updated
It has been almost three months since Google came up with an official Algorithm Update announcement. The last time that the search engine giant issued a public statement was on June 4, 2019 when it rolled out the Diversity Update to reduce the number of results from same sites on the first page of Google search.

679 people are talking about this

However, on September 16, the official Google Webmaster twitter account announced that a new algorithm is now part of the crawling and indexing process of review snippets/rich results. According to the tweet, the new update will make significant changes in the way Google Search Review snippets are displayed.
Here is what Google official announcement says about the update:
“Today, we’re introducing an algorithmic update to review snippets to ease implementation: – Clear set of schema types for review snippets – Self-serving reviews aren’t allowed – Name of the thing you’re reviewing is required”
According to Google, the Review rich results have been helping users a lot in finding the best businesses/services. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of misuse of the reviews as there has been little update and guidelines to it from the time Google implemented it. The impact of Google Search Reviews are becoming more and more felt in recent times.
The official blog announcing the roll out of the new Google Search Review algorithm update says it will help webmasters across the word to better optimize there websites for Google Search Reviews. Google has introduced 17 standard schemas for webmasters so that invalid or misleading implementations can be curbed.
Before the update, webmasters could add Google Search Reviews to any web page using the review markup. However, Google identified that some of the web page type that displayed review snippet did not add value to the users. A few sites used the review schema to make them stand out from the rest of the competitors.
Putting an end to the misuse, Google has limited the review schema types for 17 niches! Starting today, Google Search Reviews will be displayed only for websites that fall under the 17 types and their respective sub-types.
List of Review Schema Types Supported for Google Search Reviews
Self-serving reviews aren’t allowed for LocalBusiness and Organization
One of the biggest hiccups faced by Google in displaying genuine reviews was entities adding reviews by themselves on via third-party widgets and markup code. Starting today, Google has stopped supporting Google Search Reviews for the schema types LocalBusiness and Organization (and their subtypes) that uses third-party widgets and markup code.
Add the name of the item that’s being reviewed
The new Google Search Reviews Algorithm Update mandates the name property to be part of the schema. This will make it mandatory for businesses to add the name of the item being reviewed. This will give a more meaningful review experience for users, says Google.

Hope this helps!

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
@drmattolesiak blew my mind with his audit of my website. So much actionable info.

You guys would be crazy to not send him a PM.
I can't emphasize this quote enough. This is literally money you are wasting. I am personally happy with my audit. It brought a lot of attention to what I need to focus on and continue with what I am flourishing with. Its a relief knowing what to laser focus on. Thanks again Doc.

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey
I can't emphasize this quote enough. This is literally money you are wasting. I am personally happy with my audit. It brought a lot of attention to what I need to focus on and continue with what I am flourishing with. Its a relief knowing what to laser focus on. Thanks again Doc.
I'm always here to help out! You have a direct line to me if you run into any further issues.

drmattolesiak

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 18, 2019
New Jersey
There's a ton of free audit tools out there. It's nothing new.
I'm generating reports and going through each site explaining what to do instead of handing over a bunch of data and having y'all figure it out. Fastlaning the learning curve for those who want it. But you're 100% right, tons of free audit tools:

Niel Patel
Zadroweb
The Hoth
Woo Rank

Call me paranoid but I feel like they're collecting the data on every site that's run on their 'free' tools which gives them a leg-up for clients and their own ventures.

Bigbucks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Jul 22, 2018
I'm always here to help out! You have a direct line to me if you run into any further issues.
Hey great thread here I am currently growing a web design business and right now I am taking a seo course to improve the ranking of my current and future web design projects. If you don't mind can you take a look at the website I created and let me know where you see room for improvement. Thank you advance for any help

earliespropertymaintenance.com

SweetSuccess

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 29, 2019
United States

Hey Team,

1. Keyword Research

2. Site Structure
1. Home
2. About
3. Contact
4. FAQ
5. Blog
7. Disclaimer
8. Privacy Policy

1. Facebook
2. Youtube
3. Instagram
4. Twitter

4. YouTube SEO

5. Blog SEO

6) Bonus = Schema

To Your Success,
-Dr. Matt

Thank you for this post! So much information I'm going to take with me to try and implement. I really appreciate the SEO blog post layout. I will use it for our future blog posts and test it out.
I was wondering if you could look at my store and do a an audit if you had time.

We launched in September and have had low conversions and we changed the theme so many times. I no longer know what looks good anymore and am getting discouraged.

thank you for any feedback you may have!

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I hired Matt to do some SEO work for me and I have been very happy with his work.

In less than 2 months, we have increased our organic traffic 3x, ranked on youtube on the first page for some of my main keywords, ranked my blog post on the featured snippet on the first page.

We are on the way to the first page in google searches for very competitive keywords that get 75k searches a month.

I'd recommend him if you are looking for SEO work. I'll keep you guys updated in the next couple months.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Hey dude, thanks for posting.

I do agree with some of your on page ideas. In regards to keyword research, it’s definitely important but some SEOs that I know look at search volume almost as irrelevant and focus more on click through data.

additionally, a lot of ranking factors are changing now -i.e google ranking factors and more competition amongst page one.

Take any google search for example, you’re no longer seeing deep content ranking at the top of SERPS. It’s more like snippets, videos, q&a, etc. Additionally, I think google is getting better at recognizing what people want and providing them that information as fast as possible.

Just wondering, as an SEO yourself, how do you see search ranking changing going into 2020? Do you think AI will play a tremendous factor in google serves their audience?

I honestly believe that these days SEO should be just a thing that’s done naturally while running the business and not the focus for search traffic. The focus, in my opinion, should be on social and paid ads. Have something to sell right!?

Thoughts?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Hey Team,

1. Keyword Research

2. Site Structure
1. Home
2. About
3. Contact
4. FAQ
5. Blog
7. Disclaimer
8. Privacy Policy

1. Facebook
2. Youtube
3. Instagram
4. Twitter

4. YouTube SEO

5. Blog SEO

6) Bonus = Schema

To Your Success,
-Dr. Matt
I can’t believe I missed this thread! Sending you a PM now.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I'm always on-call for you guys (doctor pun intended), send it over to me if you'd like.

Hey, does the site have to be in english for you to provide advice, my Site is in German but I guess you could maybe give advice on technical seo, Site structure etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.