The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't undervalue exercise

D

Deleted50669

For some this will be common sense, but not for all.

Exercise is a fundamental enabler of cognitive endurance. Think about it, exercising is the intentional practice of physical discomfort to improve. What is entrepreneurship? The same thing, only mental (well, probably physical too in some cases). To be a sedentary zombie is a practice in mediocrity, as much as working for someone else is.

Just food for thought, since no one seems to discuss this.

- Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
I try and exercise the appropriate amount, which is every single day. People do forget that while you can sculpt the future you want, you can sculpt your body too.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The biggest problem I faced was that I had no idea what I was doing and the fear of making an idiot out of myself in public at the gym.

These two "little things" kept me away from gyms until I hit 33 years old.

Here's how I overcame these two issues:

1. I found out about a really cool app called "StrongLifts 5x5". It tells you precisely how many reps and sets to do of which exercises in which order on which days. It keeps track of adding or removing weight according to your progress and schedule in amazing granularity - whether you are hitting your weights, missing them, taking time off, etc... it factors all that in so the next time you hit the gym you are exactly where you need to be.

It also shows you video examples of all the exercises in extreme granularity. The website has "do this" and "don't do it like this, this, this, this, or this" photos and explanations in amazing details. It explains why you do that exercise, the benefits, how to get better at it, etc...

It also has a during-workout tracker. You do a set, you hit a button and make it complete. You missed a rep? You just mark whatever you did. It starts a timer based on success/failure for your next set. It's amazing. I do a set of 5 squats, it tells me to rest 90 seconds if I found it easy, or 3 minutes if I thought it was hard and starts a timer that's visible immediately. I only do 4? It tells me to wait 5 minutes and starts that timer.

In short - it's a personal trainer in your pocket. A child could follow the instructions on this app.

Oh, and the workouts start with an empty 45 lb bar. So you don't have to worry about needing some kind of pre-existing strength to get started. ANYONE without a physical disability can start with a 45lb bar. Hell, I did and my strength was laughable before I started.

2. I called a gym and asked for a 1-off personal trainer session. Really, this is just forced accountability to get your butt in the gym to prevent you from chickening out at the last second. I don't miss appointments I set - period. If you are the same, then setting that appointment when you are in a "F*ck yeah, let's do this mood" means you'll show up when you get cold feet and come up with a million excuses you'd have used to not go if you didn't have that appointment when the time comes.

I just told my trainer to show me how to use the equipment, how to do some basic form work, etc... You'll only use them once anyway so just use it to get familiar with the place and gear you'll be using.

Just make sure your gym has a power rack. 99% of your workouts will be done on this single piece of equipment. It's basically a giant "don't accidentally kill yourself" cage that makes working with heavy weights safe to do alone without a spotter.

I ended up loving this workout routine so much I bought a power rack for my home and use it all the time. It never gets boring and is always a challenge. And if I miss a few days/weeks here and there I don't feel bad because the cost is sunk - I'm not paying a gym to not be there. And if I want to sell it I can recoup 75% of my cost.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
....Here's how I overcame these two issues:

1. I found out about a really cool app called "StrongLifts 5x5". It tells you precisely how many reps and sets to do of which exercises in which order on which days. It keeps track of adding or removing weight according to your progress and schedule in amazing granularity - whether you are hitting your weights, missing them, taking time off, etc... it factors all that in so the next time you hit the gym you are exactly where you need to be.

It also shows you video examples of all the exercises in extreme granularity. The website has "do this" and "don't do it like this, this, this, this, or this" photos and explanations in amazing details. It explains why you do that exercise, the benefits, how to get better at it, etc...

I just wanted to add onto this saying that in my experience, 5x5 is an awesome program for weightlifting. It helps you to have consistency, build strength, cut fat, and feel amazing (as you progressively add weights and get results).

Strength training definitely flows over into other parts of your life. You'll feel more energetic, confident, and capable in everything else you do. Hitting the gym might suck initially, but once you get into the rhythm of it, you'll probably love it. I know I do - good luck keeping me away from the gym!

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Exercise is a fundamental enabler of cognitive endurance.

You don't even need to use this. When you have your health, you have everything; exercise is crucial to maintaining health. I've been following the Starting Strength program, personally. It's tough because I also practice intermittent fasting, which gets in the way of the eating requirements, but it works.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Great advice.

Many times I have thought to skip gym so that I can have more free time to pursue entrepreneureal avenues. And every time I have to remind myself, that working out every 48 hours should be the baseline minimum to a healthy and happy life.

The inflexibility, worse overall mood and frequent pain problems that I had when I wasn't working out, remind me why I have to keep doing this. Forever.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
I'm not surprised so many people here are into fitness. Working out require discipline, which is also useful while working on a business.

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Health = wealth literally and figuratively. Glad you made this post. I combine working out and running as the same. Especially running. Your working many functions of your body to improve. Lungs, heart, more oxygen to the brain and of course it helps you get more ripped when combine with working out. That's actually the main reason I workout as I feel really good mentally afterwards from hitting the gym and taking a nap. It's truly a great feeling and I get right to working on business afterwards. But it all means nothing if your not getting the nutrients in your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted50669

A similar post to this was actually made a few days ago. There were some arguments for the pros and cons of exercise, which might interest you:

O/T: Health - Gym is counter-productive to work. Or is it?

Really just comes down to return on investment of time. If you value well-being more than money, the time invested in the gym is smart. If you chase money without regard for your aorta, stay out of the gym.

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
My best ideas always come after exercise. I can think on something for hours not able to find a solution. 20-30 min of intensive exercise and I will have a break through guaranteed.

I am at the point where I exercise more for business/mental benefits than looks/health. Sometimes I feel like am exersize addict.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.