The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Donation Influencer Marketing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
A couple months ago I ran an experiment with my secret YouTube channel (no that's not a hook, I won't be sharing that channel ever). I wanted to learn how livestream donations work, what the user experience is like, and what happens as a result of donating via livestreams from the perspective of a contributor.

For a while I followed several influencer's livestreams. I watched how people donated and noticed they like to give small amounts of $2 - $10. There's usually 2 ways they can give:

1) Via YouTube Super Chat where they donate directly through YouTube (influencer gets hit with extra fees)
2) StreamLabs which takes the user to a third party site (influencer does NOT get hit with extra fees)

When viewers donate, they usually get to add a comment or question for the influencer. Then a notification pops up on the livestream showing the donor name and amount along with their comment. The influencer stops what they're doing, and gives priority to the donor. They respond to any comments, then they say a little, "thanks man, I really appreciate it." Then they move on.

In most streams, donations seem sporadic and one-off. In some streams there are loyal followers who are serial donors (usually donating in increments of $2-5) and I noticed serial donors seem to get a little more attention and recognition.

This had me wondering what would happen if someone dropped a much bigger number.

My Donor Experience

After watching livestreams for several weeks, I chose an upcoming influencer who was closing in on 6k subs. He had at least 1 serial donor and a number of sporadic donors. I assume most of these people are slowlaners.

So I joined a livestream and waited until about halfway through. Others had already donated. The serial donor was already donating and getting kudos for being the "big" kahuna with multiple $2-5 donations. Then I donated $100, along with a few comments of appreciation, and that's when things got interesting...

Instead of the usual "thanks man..." the livestream froze in time. Silence. The chat started filling up with people saying "woah!" and "holy sh*t" and stuff like that. The influencer didn't know what to say. It was the biggest donation he'd ever received.

It took him a while to catch his breath. Several minutes. When he finally came around, he gave my question priority, a big thanks, and invited me to chat privately after the stream was over (which we did).

In the meantime, discussion erupted in the chat about who was the new donation king. The old guy was out and I was in, and rumors of donation wars spread fast. At least one person visited my channel, and watched my vids and then returned to the livestream and shared with others in the chat.

In the click of a button, I went from just another face in a crowd, to being a name people recognized.

After That...

When the livestream was over, I had a good feel for what it was like to donate as a donor, and I gotta say, there's a certain adrenaline rush you get when you push that button, but I wasn't done yet. I returned for the following livestream to see if people would remember.

First thing I noticed was my name scrolling across the top of the stream with my donation amount next to it. Other donors names were there too, but nobody else had donated over $15. My username also showed up in Streamlabs as the highest donor of the month.

During the livestream people brought up the donor wars again. They seemed to already know my name and were asking where I was. Eventually I turned up, donated $100 again, and let the influencer sit dumbfounded again for a while. This really seemed to boost the hype around me.

After that stream I waited a few streams before returning. My name was mentioned in every stream. When I finally returned, I donated only $5. People seemed surprised. The former big kahuna donor called me out, and I donated another $100. Similar effect as before. People asked where I get that kind of money like it was the holy grail or something...

Fast Forward 2 Months

I haven't actively participated in this influencer's livestreams since the last time I donated. But since then, I've had multiple videos get viral views on my channel without any additional promotion. I've also listened to his livestreams (but not live at the time) and discovered my username is regularly brought up when people want to know, "whatever happened to that XXXX guy???"

This leads the influencer to mention me by username. He makes some jokes about how I'm the only one who can rival the other guy. Then he says something like, "I hope that guy's okay. I haven't seen him in a while." Today I checked again. Listened to a livestream. It's been over 2 months and people still address me by username and ask where I am.

Some Conclusions

1) Donating integrates you into the community really fast and I get the feeling it comes across as more authentic than paying the influencer directly for an advertisement. It's also more YOU FOCUSED than a paid ad.

2) Because the donation was larger than others, it stood out in a chat with thousands of viewers, and unlike paid ads, my username stayed visible next to my donation amount at the top of all upcoming streams for more than a month. In addition, the hype was experienced by any new subs the channel got who watched the older livestreams.

3) As soon as I donated and people got over the shock of the amount, they either looked up my name, or clicked on it and made their way back to my channel, leading to at least 3 of my videos gaining minor virality.

4) Donating makes influencers want to get to know you.

5) There was an addictive element to this. After donating the first time, I felt pulled to donate more. I suspect this is the lure of serial donors. It's almost a challenge to be able to be a repeat donor and meet audience expectations.

So yeah, that's pretty much it. I think this could work great for some of you who sell digital or physical products who are trying to gain exposure through YouTube. Since you can set your channel up to lead back into your web funnels, this could be a great way to promote yourself and get your name out while coming across as a valuable contributor.

Moving forward I'll attempt this experiment again soon with my main YT channel, and will also consider it for my ecom business once it's up and running.

Anyone else ever tried something like this? How did it go for you? How else could you add value in a situation like this for a big ROI? Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

pmaloneus

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 3, 2017
US
Dude - fantastic write up and synopsis.

This is something I'm def. going to test going forward. Not only on the consumer end but also as the producer. It's taken a little bit of time to get the subscriber count up and this is def. something that's been on the focus.

i'm just starting to build up the YT channel, once I implement this strategy, i'll let you know how it pans out.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
I had no clue this existed. Are they centered around one niche/industry?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I had no clue this existed. Are they centered around one niche/industry?

I'm not sure what you mean by centered around one niche/industry. I'm pretty exhausted from taking care of our newborn, so I may be misreading what you're saying. Basically any niche that has influencers will have livestreams, and on those livestreams they will accept donations from their viewers. The viewers donate because it encourages more livestreams.

An influencer as far as YouTube is concerned is someone with a lot of followers. A micro influencer would be 1,000 to 10,000. A mid level influencer would be 10,000 to 100,000. A celebrity influencer would be 100,000+ subscribers.

The main thing I'm looking for with this is influencers in my particular niche where if I donate, it's going to be seen by a lot of people who would be my target audience, and they'll want to learn more about me. When they do, they'll click my name and make their way back to my channel. From my channel they watch my videos. From my videos they click on links. From the links they reach lead magnets. From lead magnets I collect emails. From emails I market my products and services. And finally, from those marketing efforts I generate sales.

Or in some cases I might skip the lead magnet and link straight to a product and make sales instantly. But time will tell. :D

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
I'm not sure what you mean by centered around one niche/industry. I'm pretty exhausted from taking care of our newborn, so I may be misreading what you're saying. Basically any niche that has influencers will have livestreams, and on those livestreams they will accept donations from their viewers. The viewers donate because it encourages more livestreams.

An influencer as far as YouTube is concerned is someone with a lot of followers. A micro influencer would be 1,000 to 10,000. A mid level influencer would be 10,000 to 100,000. A celebrity influencer would be 100,000+ subscribers.

The main thing I'm looking for with this is influencers in my particular niche where if I donate, it's going to be seen by a lot of people who would be my target audience, and they'll want to learn more about me. When they do, they'll click my name and make their way back to my channel. From my channel they watch my videos. From my videos they click on links. From the links they reach lead magnets. From lead magnets I collect emails. From emails I market my products and services. And finally, from those marketing efforts I generate sales.

Or in some cases I might skip the lead magnet and link straight to a product and make sales instantly. But time will tell. :D
I get the influencers part.

You said influencers in your niche. That’s what I was getting to. I obviously wouldn’t target a bodybuilding influencer with my publishing niche. Was just curious about which niches use livestreams like this.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I get the influencers part.

You said influencers in your niche. That’s what I was getting to. I obviously wouldn’t target a bodybuilding influencer with my publishing niche. Was just curious about which niches use livestreams like this.

Ah, okay that makes sense. Live streaming takes place in a lot of niches, especially niches where there's a lot to talk about. All YouTube livestreams can accept donations through YouTube Super Chat as far as I'm aware. The easiest way to find livestreams is to find micro to mid level influencers in your niche and check to see if they have a livestream playlist. A lot of them do because it keeps the channel cleaned up.

Before donating I'd watch a couple of their past livestreams to see what happens when people give through their stream.

• Does anything show up on the screen?
• Does it say the username and donation amount?
• Do they list donors somewhere on the screen?
• How much attention does the influencer give the donor?
• How do people in the live chat react to the donation?

Those are things I'll be looking for in the future. I'll also look within lateral niches. Niches that aren't directly related to my channel topic, but where the audience is highly likely to consume my videos once they become aware of them.

TheJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 19, 2017
Tennessee
Ah, okay that makes sense. Live streaming takes place in a lot of niches, especially niches where there's a lot to talk about. All YouTube livestreams can accept donations through YouTube Super Chat as far as I'm aware. The easiest way to find livestreams is to find micro to mid level influencers in your niche and check to see if they have a livestream playlist. A lot of them do because it keeps the channel cleaned up.

Before donating I'd watch a couple of their past livestreams to see what happens when people give through their stream.

• Does anything show up on the screen?
• Does it say the username and donation amount?
• Do they list donors somewhere on the screen?
• How much attention does the influencer give the donor?
• How do people in the live chat react to the donation?

Those are things I'll be looking for in the future. I'll also look within lateral niches. Niches that aren't directly related to my channel topic, but where the audience is highly likely to consume my videos once they become aware of them.
Awesome, man. Thanks for the info. Intriguing. Time to do some lookin’

f0reclone

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 18, 2014
If your niche relates to gaming I would recommend twitch.tv. There are a lot of different games which are streamed and the process with donations is often similar as op described.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.