The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

WEB/DIGITAL Domains - couple of great articles

rico

Contributor
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I've had a quick search for Domainers and not seen these articles linked. They're to do with the guys who buy domains and put up a simple holding page of affiliate links and google/yahoo adverts.

Fascinating!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/12/01/8364591/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2007/06/01/100050989/

Worth a read if you're into domains. Apologies if a repost.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2007
Awesome article! rep +

About aggregators... could someone explain further. Is that like taking parking to the next level... i.e. I own a domain and outsource add marketing and give a percentage cut of my ppc??

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Thanks for posting. R++.

Interesting to see that Ham is predicting a decline in domaining as a pure virtual real estate play and it now working towards building out his sites with content.

Ham recently leased the entire 27th floor in his Vancouver building and is now hiring more than 150 designers, engineers, salespeople, and editorial folks.

Much of that effort is going into developing search tools based more on meaning and less on keywords. "Google is only so useful," Ham says.

The aim is to apply a meaning-based, or "semantic," system across swaths of sites, luring customers from direct navigation and search engines alike. Religion.com would then become an anchor to which scores of other sites would be tied.

"It's time to build out the virtual real estate," Ham says. "There's so much more value in these names than pay-per-click." Seeman's patent application even mentions the possibility of turning Web traffic from Cameroon and other future foreign partners into full-fledged portals.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
@mtnman

An aggregator is just a company that provides "content" which is actually a bunch of ads. You just point your dns to their system and it automatically produces a page like this:

http://securitydvrsystems.com/ this one is done by moniker's service which is called trafficclub

OP
OP
R

rico

Contributor
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
I think the only downside to this article is anyone looking into new opportunities has missed the boat to an extent.

But its more proof that everyone should maximise the domains they own with holding pages, ads etc.

Thanks for the reps guys. Will keep posting articles as I find them :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Very good articles, added rep + and subscribed to this post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom