The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Names

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I feel your pain, I've been at this since 1996 and still learning.

The good news is you don't have to learn how to write HTML if you don't want to (I learned the basics in a few hours and there are many sites with a quick HTML primer in 10 steps (or similar) to get you started but these days you don't need to learn that.

Wordpress is probably going to become your friend or you can use templates. You can get someone to modify the template to your liking or most of them come with ways for you to add your details. Wordpress is fantastic and most of the sales sites/blogs/membership sites you see these days are probably on wordpress.

Wordpress is like a platform with building blocks that you can move around. There is an admin back-end that you log into to add "modules" that can do all sorts of things. These days it's best not to muck around with the basic 2 or 3 column layout of most sites. Think of it as the way we read. If all of a sudden people started writing books that the text went diagonally from one corner to the other we would find it weird and hard to read. We (most of us) read from left to right top to bottom. Websites are similar to that (unless you want to be artsy). They have a standard format. Header across the top (in various styles), content in the middle with a menu either under the header or down the left or right side. The main content is usually split into two (or three) with a column for extra bits (such as navigation, capture forms or movies...etc). Think of it as working with drag and drop building blocks.

It's much easier than you think but the most important thing you need to worry about is your content. That's the most important thing. I can throw up a website in 9 minutes but then it might sit there for weeks or months or forever while I fill it with useful content. Your thinking should be split up (roughly) 90% - what am I going to say and 10% how is it going to look.

I (and many others) can help you get started. Do you want to learn how to build a house or just looking for a house to live in? First of all, go and find a site you'd like to have as your own and paste the link here and I'll tell you what sort of site it is. Or go and have a look at Template monster or look for some Wordpress theme sites and see if you can find a theme you like. I can guarantee you'll find a wordpress theme that you'll love.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Here's a basic HTML tutorial so you can learn a little bit about how a HTML web page is built. It won't show you how to build a beautiful full blown website but will help you recognise HTML when you see it.

HTML Tutorial - Learn HTML Quickly and Easily and Build Your Web Page

I also just found this excellent little site which is like a "dummies guide to building a website" which can be found at http://websitesetupguide.com/. By the end of today you can have a website up and running. It seems he's an affiliate of Fat Cow because he suggests it (might be worth looking into - I have no experience with FatCow hosting) but apart from that the site is excellent in showing you what's involved.

It's also one of the nicest sites I've been to in a long time!

Good luck! I'll be here for the next 12 hours or so. I expect to see your website up and running today! Go now - no excuses! :thumbsup:

Important Edit: I just checked out the FatCow hosting plans. The first month is cheap but then you are billed for a year (It's the first time I've seen yearly billing - the first I heard of it was in this thread). Not sure I'm a fan of yearly billing. The cheapest seems to be $8.95 a month. You can do better than that and I'm not sure you want to be locked in for a whole year. A year is a long time. But the website above (http://websitesetupguide.com/) is a great one to teach to the basics of building a site regardless of if you use FatCow or not.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
It won't be up today but I will be researching everything you just suggested and have it it started in a week. Content is what I have to think about more than anything after learning how to set it up. Thanks again
Speed +++

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Here's a basic HTML tutorial so you can learn a little bit about how a HTML web page is built. It won't show you how to build a beautiful full blown website but will help you recognise HTML when you see it.

HTML Tutorial - Learn HTML Quickly and Easily and Build Your Web Page

Bill, I tried to reply to your PM from my inbox but I don't think my reply went through. I do have a skype account but haven't been able to get it working yet.

I also just found this excellent little site which is like a "dummies guide to building a website" which can be found at "How to Create a Website" - a Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners. By the end of today you can have a website up and running. It seems he's an affiliate of Fat Cow because he suggests it (might be worth looking into - I have no experience with FatCow hosting) but apart from that the site is excellent in showing you what's involved.

It's also one of the nicest sites I've been to in a long time!

Good luck! I'll be here for the next 12 hours or so. I expect to see your website up and running today! Go now - no excuses! :thumbsup:

Important Edit: I just checked out the FatCow hosting plans. The first month is cheap but then you are billed for a year (It's the first time I've seen yearly billing - the first I heard of it was in this thread). Not sure I'm a fan of yearly billing. The cheapest seems to be $8.95 a month. You can do better than that and I'm not sure you want to be locked in for a whole year. A year is a long time. But the website above ("How to Create a Website" - a Step-by-Step Guide for Beginners) is a great one to teach to the basics of building a site regardless of if you use FatCow or not.

Bill, I tried to reply to your PM from my inbox but I don't think my reply went through. I do have a skype account but haven't been able to get it working yet.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Sorry, been offline for a few days (moving). I've added you on skype. Replied to PM as well.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Sorry, been offline for a few days (moving). I've added you on skype. Replied to PM as well.

No problem, I have been working a lot. I sent you a new PM with what I think is a new skype account name but when I download it, it doesn't download to my computer. It is driving me insane!

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
With all the advice I have been getting I started looking at different places to buy domain names and bought a few that I wanted and started playing around with Wordpress so that I can get an idea of what I want to do with it and it is good practice before I try and make one I really want to put out in public.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Now that I have been playing around and finding I am not that great at creating a website, I found a graphic artist who creates websites and will be working with her to help create the ideas I want. It's time to put my thoughts into action and put all my effort toward where I want to go.

jessica_david

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Mar 15, 2012
hello hedgehog..thanks for starting this helpful thread as i am also searching for the same information..lexy and other friends here share very helpful information here so i also want to thanks them as well..and also hedgehog good to see update from your side(for your site..i think that would help even more)

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
hello hedgehog..thanks for starting this helpful thread as i am also searching for the same information..lexy and other friends here share very helpful information here so i also want to thanks them as well..and also hedgehog good to see update from your side(for your site..i think that would help even more)

Thanks, I was just working on it this morning and writing out a plan and possibly a book to go with it and maybe make the website interactive. I gave the graphic artist some picture and animation ideas she is currently working on. Most of this forum is great for information as I searched all over google and other sites for the info I wanted but didn't find everything I needed and the posts on here were great stating the experience some people had with their domains and websites.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Making some progress now with what I want to do. I have a graphic artist sending me pictures to find out how I want them to look and so far they are great! Then we have to work on animating them for the website and whatever else I can think of to do with them. I have a good idea we just need to get it done!

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Making a little progress. Have written out the first part of what I needed and gotten some very good images from the graphic designer. Now I am just storyboarding what I need the graphic artist to do so I can have something to put out there.

EriTay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 12, 2016
Auckland
Does anyone know how to register a Domain Name with an LLC rather than using your personal name?

Actually, I've googled it for you, but I couldn't find a solution either. Of course you can add your company name at every webhosting service, but I guess you always have to tell them your personal name as well.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
449%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Go with Namecheap.com they are epic and have 24/7 live support. We've used them for years

For the LLC stuff, it's only the WHOIS information you're changing - just use your company info instead of your own.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.