The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Names

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
How do you go about OWNING your domain name so to you and you alone own it? And not GoDaddy or Google or someone else owns it with you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Max Power

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 2, 2012
You own your domain name when you purchase it through a registrar such as godaddy. Do a Whois and you will see you indeed own it. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Think of a registrar as a Broker.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks, I have an idea for a website I want to create I just wanted to make sure I own it before I start it and then see where it leads me once I start.

HeritageItaly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2012
Yeah, it is such a nice!!!
g.php

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Now I am just beginning to learn how to create a website and get it the way I want it

Noel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 6, 2012
With my first website business I did not have a clue! I went to a web person who designed and then charged me a yearly rate for hosting. When I then discovered that I could outsource work on my site. They took my web domain name etc. Long story short. I then found out that luckily as I had registered it myself I could go to the MOTHERSHIP of domain registration to prove the site and domain was mine. A lot of hassle and a lot of faxes later I managed to get the site and domain name sorted. My advice - NEVER as the book and DeMarco advises let someone else have control of the most important element of your business - through being naive I did. Register your own names and make sure you have your own hosting - access to your own cpanel etc. I am currently supporting many businesses who have also been held to ransom by so called web designers that see their income stream vanishing away.

lexy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 5, 2012
How do you go about OWNING your domain name so to you and you alone own it?

Technically you don't, at all.

You can only ever lease domain-names, on an annual basis, through a registrar. You never actually own them.

Registration-fees can vary considerably, between different registrars for the same domain-extensions so (especially if registering a domain with an unusual extension) it can be well worth shopping around. But the most important thing is not to register a domain-name in the same place where you want to host the website associated with it. That's all downside.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
There is a lot of this stuff I have to learn. Thanks for the info Noel and Lexy. What is the Mothership of Domain Names? Is that where you wold register your site so you own the rights to it for whatever the contract term is?

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
But the most important thing is not to register a domain-name in the same place where you want to host the website associated with it. That's all downside.

Lexy, what is the downside of registering a domain and hosting it through the same registrar? I'm just curious because I've never read anything about that.

lexy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 5, 2012
Lexy, what is the downside of registering a domain and hosting it through the same registrar?

In a sense, admittedly, it only really matters if/when something goes wrong. (But, as we all know, that "only happens all the time").

If your host isn't also your registrar, then in the event of any accident/problem, if anything ever goes wrong with your hosting, you're in control, not them. And can avoid nightmares, disasters, long delays and entirely unexpected "ransom demands". And can re-host your site somewhere else the next day, minimising the commercial interruption.

There's a juge number of horror stories of hosting/registration/control disasters scattered about in forums, almost all of which could have been avoided, simply by registering and hosting in two different places.

If you were ever to get accused of spamming, or had hackers install a malicious script on your site, or otherwise due to the incompetence of the hosting company you had your account suspended ... if the relationship with your Web hosting company goes sour for any of these or other reasons, as long as your domain name is registered somewhere else, then to re-establish your site all you need to do is get hosting set up with a new company, copy your site over, and point your domain name registration to your site’s new location.

But if your Web host is also your domain-name registrar, then you're sunk: you also need to transfer the registration, as well, probably for a very large additional fee which you didn't know about. And worse yet, if the hosting company decides it really doesn’t like you, and it controls your domain name registration, it may even decide to cancel the registration altogether.

Also, if the company went out business, you have no way of changing your nameservers, so you'd lose your domain, and you'd also lose the files on your server.

It's one of those issues which so many people look at and think to themselves "Eew, well, those are all other people and they must have done something wrong: it wouldn't ever happen to me". :nonod:

Until someone on one of their lists reports them, even with absolutely no justification at all, to their host for alleged "spamming" and their website disappears and the host (in accordance with its TOS which few people have ever read all the way through at the time they registered the domain) suddenly wants hundreds of dollars to release the domain so they can get it back online somewhere else.

As a search of various internet marketing forums will show, some of the most popular domain-name registrars are actually notorious for causing major problems and interruptions to their clients' businesses in this regard.

The point is that "whether something goes wrong" may not be within your own control - it can be just one of those pretty random things that isn't your fault at all and "could have happened to anybody". :smx8:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
If your host isn't also your registrar, then in the event of any accident/problem, if anything ever goes wrong with your hosting, you're in control, not them. And can avoid nightmares, disasters, long delays and entirely unexpected "ransom demands". And can re-host your site somewhere else the next day, minimising the commercial interruption.

Oh, I've heard anything about that. That could definitely be a problem. I have my domains registered and hosted through GoDaddy. Maybe I should look into changing the hosting.

lexy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 5, 2012
I have my domains registered and hosted through GoDaddy. Maybe I should look into changing the hosting.

GoDaddy, unfortunately, has among internet marketers a particularly bad reputation for a couple of the potential problems I've mentioned above. Their primary expertise seems to be as a registrar rather than as a host, and I think most people would advise you to use them for that service rather than as a host. They certainly seem - according to Worpress experts - to have had more than their share of Wordpress incompatibility problems, too?

Of course, these things are "opinion only", and there are also people - even in the "Warrior Forum" where there must be 100 threads urging people to stay away from GoDaddy - who can say "Well, I've been hosting all my sites at GoDaddy for three years and never had a problem".

I've tried a lot of different services, myself, and after a few years' experience have come down to recommending Namecheap as a domain registrar and Hostgator as a hosting company, but these are only personal preferences, really. Neither is actually the cheapest but both seem to have customer service departments that are more or less second-to-none. (And to people as technophobic and incompetent as me, that matters!). Good luck!

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I agree with Lexy above. Stay away from GoDaddy. Apart from the annoyance of their insane amount of upsells (it can take a dozen "no!'s" to get to the cart where you can actually pay for purchase) they also charge an extortionate amount for re-registering an expired domain.

I use Namecheap and TotalChoiceHosting and have done since last century. 99.9% uptime at TCH and Namecheap (despite their horrendous new website) resolve names very quickly. With a reseller (or dedicated server) account at TCH and using Namecheap I can go from idea for a domain name to up and running wordpress website in about 9 minutes. Hostgator is not recommended if you like to use "catch all" accounts for emails.

Not sure if they (Hostgator) run "Fantastico" which is a suite of fast scripts for doing a heap of cool stuff (like adding a wordpress site) quickly. Speed is not always an issue when building a site (they often sit around for weeks or months afterwards while you decide what you're going to do with them) but I've owned over 200 domains and dozens of active websites at one time or other and have always used Namecheap and TotalChoiceHosting (TCH). TCH also has 24 hours support chat lines which have been handy more than a few times.

HTH.

Bill

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Thanks for the advice guys. I chose GoDaddy mainly because they're based out of AZ (I like to support local companies) and I have had some really good experiences with their tech support guys, but I was not aware of these issues. The main thing I don't like about GoDaddy is that they don't offer free email accounts for the domain.
Unfortunately, my main site is in the 4 month of a one year hosting plan with an SSL and all of my satellite sites are on an unlimited-domain 5 year hosting plan. So I'm not sure what the best option is.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks for all the posts everyone. It actually helps a lot. Most of that stuff I did not know about with registering a name and hosting on separate sites. I did not know you could do that. Thank you.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Trevor, I think GoDaddy stopped being a "local" company a long time ago so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you insist on staying with them just redirect your domains to the host of your choice. Someone who is reliable and has a real commitment to it's clients and who come with a recommendation. I get nothing from TCH for recommending them, I just have over 10 years of fantastic, calm and invisible hosting and great service and that's worth a lot.

When you host your websites with someone who is a dedicated hosting company you can have as many email addresses as you like (using cPanel). I'd be more than willing to show you how if you need.

In my experience (since 1997) of owning and building websites nothing has been more simple as the model I'm suggesting (Name server pointing to separate host). It's peaceful, easy to maintain and there's nothing I haven't been able to do (some hosts limit what you can do). I wasn't aware that there was a "locked in for 5 years" deal on SSL. If you're not actually locked in, I'd look at what's best for your piece of mind because 5 years is a very long time in this game. If there's anything at all confusing about owning and hosting a website I'd more happy to explain it to you (perhaps over a skype call). I love talking about it and demystifying web hosting and explaining in simple terms what sometimes can be a pretty confusing topic.

Good luck with your websites. Owning and running a website can be a lot of fun. The sky's the limit and ideas flow almost constantly, the last thing I'd want is for you is hosting confusion to take away from that feeling when it can be a very simple affair but if you're happy where you are and how it all works then at least you're a little more informed now.

All the best.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Bill, I have two hosting plans (well actually, three, because I was dumb and wasted $50). One is for my main site and is the only one with SSL. That one is only on a one year contract, so I think I'll take your advice and move to TCH in October. The other hosting plan is a 5 year plan that I host all of my little Wordpress sites on. I believe that I have 14 sites on that plan at the moment and none of them have SSL.

Do you think that if something were to go wrong with one of the sites, it would take down all of the sites on the hosting plan?
And if I were to move to TCH, do they offer any type of unlimited-domain hosting?

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
With all of that information out there which one would you all say is probably the best for someone starting out to create a website?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Bill, I have two hosting plans (well actually, three, because I was dumb and wasted $50). One is for my main site and is the only one with SSL. That one is only on a one year contract, so I think I'll take your advice and move to TCH in October. The other hosting plan is a 5 year plan that I host all of my little Wordpress sites on. I believe that I have 14 sites on that plan at the moment and none of them have SSL.

Do you think that if something were to go wrong with one of the sites, it would take down all of the sites on the hosting plan?
And if I were to move to TCH, do they offer any type of unlimited-domain hosting?

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Trevor, do you need SSL? I know that you need SSL if you want to create a Facebook page or if you want to take sensitive information but what's your reason for wanting SSL?

TCH offer a reseller plan which means you can run unlimited websites (create accounts and send as many domain names there as you like). You'll have to examine the sizes available TotalChoice Hosting - Web Hosting Resellers and choose the account that's right for you. They all include unlimited domains, you just have to choose how much room (quota) you think you'll need and how much traffic (bandwidth) you think you might need.

Start small (cheap) and grow as you need. Growing is painless, you just make a support request. If you want true freedom grab your own dedicated server. They have plenty of space and bandwidth. I never ran out of space and never used anywhere near the traffic allowance but they are pricey so you'll have to sell a product or two to justify. My products were thousands of dollars each so going fully dedicated was a no brainer and I enjoyed the overkill.

Usually when something goes wrong with one of the sites it does not take down other sites on the same machine. Only if the machine goes down will it affect every site on that machine. But the benefit of going with a host is they take regular backups and can restore very quickly.

I'd suggest starting out small and growing as you need. The basic reseller account is $20 a month which might seem like a lot (compared to some cheaper alternatives out there but for piece of mind (I'm giving you 10 years of experience with TCH to go by) I look at it this way...we are in the money making business. If you can't make $20 a month with a website then just go with a free solution (there are many). If you plan to make any money at all, a good host is good insurance.

With all of that information out there which one would you all say is probably the best for someone starting out to create a website?

Hiya Hedgy. It depends on what your plans are. Do you want to build a few HTML pages and add a few pics or do you want to install more complex software such as wordpress...etc? Even the most basic plan ($4 a month) has 5GB of space (a single web page can be as small as 'less than a 100kb' - a web site can be less than 1mb - 5GB is a HUGE website!) and 150gb of monthly transfer (traffic). If that ends up not being enough (hopefully your website will become popular and you will need more) you can simply upgrade and eventually end up with your own machine built for you and maintained by their technicians.

Sometimes people run successful businesses just using free blogging platforms. if your message is simple you can do very well. It gets your message out there to start with and you can always move to a paid (more flexible) solution later. blogger.com springs to mind.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks V8Bill, since I have never created a site before I am not really sure yet. I have the idea of what I want to do in my head but I am really a beginner in learning how to create a site. It can be basic but eventually I would like it to be one where people have their own accounts to sign into the site. I will check out blogger.com. Thanks for the info. Speed +++

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
If you get stuck just ask. It might be better to have a skype conversation or you might spend a lot of time researching down the wrong road. Google is your best friend - just ask it the question.

For example, I asked it if I can have members on a blogger.com account and it came up with this in it's results... How to Add a Member to a Team Blog on Blogger.com | eHow.com

Setting up a wordpress blog is also a fun experience (most of the time...lol). There are heaps of plug ins that will do cool stuff like creating a "member's only" area so you can charge money for access. I know from experience that a membership site can make huge (semi) passive income. Making it truly passive requires a clever idea but if you don't mind working on something you enjoy you can make some great income that you might be able to invest into a fastlane idea.

Setting up a member's area on a forum is also another way to do it but requires some experience in setting up forums is a bit of work. MJ's not a huge fan of forums because of the work involved but if it can make enough money to at least provide you a basic wage at least you can work from home (or anywhere) and you can always grow it to become a large income (I made 30k p/mth) from a membership I set up for someone else as a 1/3 partner.

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to give you some encouragement with the whole "member's area" direction.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks again for that info. I am not a huge fan of forums myself as I use one on the website or intranet of the franchise I own. They are sometimes hard to search through and sometimes hard to find the info you want. But at the same time they can be useful once you learn how to use it the right way. I will take your advice and look around on Google like you said. It is better to start off basic and then grow rather than try to do everything at once. Thanks again. Speed +

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Fill in your company name in the "organisation" field.

Even though your name might also be listed (though you could probably change your name to "Managing Director" or something) I'm sure your accountant can allocate it as a company expense.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Thanks Bill. So when I register the name there will be a spot for me to put the company name? As you can tell I have not done this often so ask a lot of questions right now.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
There are no dumb questions except those that you don't ask (someone said once).

Yes, there is a spot for your organisation. I just checked at namecheap before answering.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I just went to namecheap and registered two domain names. Now all I have to do is go about learning how to create my sites and let the need for what I create lead me into the fastlane. I find that people who don't ask questions never get the answers. Thanks again Bill. Speed +++

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Well I have done my research on where to go to learn how to create websites but I have not found anywhere I can take a class for a day or two. But I did find some degree programs. But I have no desire to wait two years to learn what I want. Unless I really need to know it later then that will be fine but for now I need to get started with just the basics.
I am not good at teaching myself just by reading and trying it out. I usually need someone to show me also, then i get it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.