So here's what I'm doing:
Saki Host
We aren't a reseller, we own the equipment...we have some really great technologies in place that set us apart from our competition. But things are just sort of idling along (only have a couple customers, aren't breaking even yet, etc...).We need to do some marketing, but this is a tough marketplace...hosting providers (mostly teenage resellers looking for a quick buck) are a dime a dozen.
So here's what I want to do to get this puppy into high gear.
#1 Get our affiliate program up and running
#2 Market to entrepreneurs. Bring on some who want to make Good Moneyâ„¢ by reselling our services. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the Big Moneyâ„¢. "Rent our server and make money selling hosting!" Our servers are very open and flexible as to what they can be used for, so they are perfect for people wanting to build a small business around them.
#3 Create distribution. How would I do that for a hosting company, you might ask...well, here's what I was thinking. I have a pretty good relationship with my local UPS Store. I've shipped thousands of dollars worth of goods with them, and the owner knows me by name (they are all independently owned franchises, I believe). He provides an assortment of small business-related services (printing, binding, mailboxes, supplies, business cards, etc...).
One thing that seems to be pretty hot right now is a pre-packaged website for your business. I think quicken offers them, your bank offers them, and a handful of independent providers do them as well. They aren't great, but they come out better looking than the one your nephew would build for you. I want to joint venture with a web design company who can crank out simple, clean websites quickly, using a CMS (like Wordpress) for a couple hundred bucks each.
The store owner can sell the web design service to his customers along with the other small biz services (maybe collect a nominal commission for the design itself), and host it on his store's server. The customer pays him $10/mo for the site, and after 8-10 customers, he's making a profit. Mind you, one server could literally serve HUNDREDS of small biz sites. We just rent them the hardware, and they worry about selling the websites.
Now, I'm going to do everything I can to help this first store be successful...then maybe I'll try another...and another. Once I have a track record, I approach UPS directly, and contact whoever manages their franchise program. I pitch them the idea of bundling a dedicated server and small-biz website hosting with every franchise sold...the fees are rolled right up in the franchise fees, as just one of the benefits that a UPS store franchise owner receives.
Just another revenue stream they can sell. Bam...I've got UPS doing my distribution. If not UPS, then FedEx Kinkos...or Mailboxes Etc...I don't care who does it. It's the potential to turn a small trickle of customers into a torrent overnight.So yeah...thoughts? Feedback? Am I crazy?
Saki Host
We aren't a reseller, we own the equipment...we have some really great technologies in place that set us apart from our competition. But things are just sort of idling along (only have a couple customers, aren't breaking even yet, etc...).We need to do some marketing, but this is a tough marketplace...hosting providers (mostly teenage resellers looking for a quick buck) are a dime a dozen.
So here's what I want to do to get this puppy into high gear.
#1 Get our affiliate program up and running
#2 Market to entrepreneurs. Bring on some who want to make Good Moneyâ„¢ by reselling our services. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the Big Moneyâ„¢. "Rent our server and make money selling hosting!" Our servers are very open and flexible as to what they can be used for, so they are perfect for people wanting to build a small business around them.
#3 Create distribution. How would I do that for a hosting company, you might ask...well, here's what I was thinking. I have a pretty good relationship with my local UPS Store. I've shipped thousands of dollars worth of goods with them, and the owner knows me by name (they are all independently owned franchises, I believe). He provides an assortment of small business-related services (printing, binding, mailboxes, supplies, business cards, etc...).
One thing that seems to be pretty hot right now is a pre-packaged website for your business. I think quicken offers them, your bank offers them, and a handful of independent providers do them as well. They aren't great, but they come out better looking than the one your nephew would build for you. I want to joint venture with a web design company who can crank out simple, clean websites quickly, using a CMS (like Wordpress) for a couple hundred bucks each.
The store owner can sell the web design service to his customers along with the other small biz services (maybe collect a nominal commission for the design itself), and host it on his store's server. The customer pays him $10/mo for the site, and after 8-10 customers, he's making a profit. Mind you, one server could literally serve HUNDREDS of small biz sites. We just rent them the hardware, and they worry about selling the websites.
Now, I'm going to do everything I can to help this first store be successful...then maybe I'll try another...and another. Once I have a track record, I approach UPS directly, and contact whoever manages their franchise program. I pitch them the idea of bundling a dedicated server and small-biz website hosting with every franchise sold...the fees are rolled right up in the franchise fees, as just one of the benefits that a UPS store franchise owner receives.
Just another revenue stream they can sell. Bam...I've got UPS doing my distribution. If not UPS, then FedEx Kinkos...or Mailboxes Etc...I don't care who does it. It's the potential to turn a small trickle of customers into a torrent overnight.So yeah...thoughts? Feedback? Am I crazy?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
