The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does the Author of the Post Change the Way You Receive the Info?

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
Edit by ATW ~ This conversation was origionally started in the Spelling thread.

I'd be curious to know what the lady in the example review would say if she were on this forum and the example was from someone other than her. Would it bother her?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Re: Why spelling is important.

Allthingznew-

Are you talking about the restaurant review?

What makes you think a lady wrote it?

-Russ H.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

Allthingznew-

-Russ H.

Yes I was, and you know what, I have no idea. I went back and looked at it again and I have no idea what made me think that. I don't know if it was something I saw when I first read it or something someone commented on that made that connection or what. Interesting.

I'd still be curious what that person would think reading it from this perspective.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Allthingznew-

-Russ H.

I had to laugh when I read this, because I thought a woman wrote this as well. I suppose because of: A. the fact that most guys wouldn't take the time to write a friggin review of dinner. B. Of the lemon chicken they had for dinner -or- C. the pros and cons of the dessert menu. Sexist, I know- but that's what I picked up on subconsciously.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I had to laugh when I read this, because I thought a woman wrote this as well. I suppose because of: A. the fact that most guys wouldn't take the time to write a friggin review of dinner. B. Of the lemon chicken they had for dinner -or- C. the pros and cons of the dessert menu. Sexist, I know- but that's what I picked up on subconsciously.

I actually thought a guy wrote the review. I left my comment gender neutral before. I thought it was a guy because the writer complained about how little meat there was on the chicken. Usually guys complain about portion size.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

This is fascinating stuff.

Ties right in w/the sexism thread and ATW's comments that she's tired of people assuming she's a guy when she posts here.

I think it's psychological, at least for some of us.

How we see the writer says something of how we see the world-- our impressions, preconceptions, and judgements.

As I said, fascinating.

-Russ H.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

So far, of those who have spoken up, the reader is identifying the writer as their own sex. Yves and I thought female and Bio thought male. Interesting?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

Ack!

I think you may be on to something here, Allthingznew.

When I unconsciously "guess" at a writer's sex, I often think of them as male-- in part b/c I identify w/what they are saying, so it goes along w/that to think they are also male (like me). It seems we read things from a perspective of "how is this like me?"-- the chicken portion size, the dessert comments-- and if there is resonance, we (unconsciously) think "the writer must be the same sex as me."

How about *this* for a shock: Since I had (unconsciously) assumed you were male, Allthingznew, I was all the more fascinated that you thought the OP was a woman-- as it went against this same sex asssumption.

But I never stopped to consider that you were a woman-- I'd already made that unconscious mistake with your gender!!

This is very cool.

Thanks to all of you for your input-- another great thread that went in an entirely different direction than I ever would have figured. :smx7:

-Russ H.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

I agree that this thread has morphed into something fascinating. ...I also thought Allthingsnew was male! I suppose we all have different subconscious gender markers as to what's what and who's who. Very interesting!

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

I agree that this thread has morphed into something fascinating. ...I also thought Allthingsnew was male! I suppose we all have different subconscious gender markers as to what's what and who's who. Very interesting!

See now ya just contradicted the theory... :smx4:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Wow... this thread is cracking me up!!!

I haven't read it for a few days - and I come back to this !! ;)

I never even considered the gender of the review writer!! Does that mean I am asexual?

On spelling and grammar. I SUCK at both. I have struggled with them since I learned to read and write. I make a TON of mistakes, all the time. Yech. I know it is a horrible weakness of mine. I am in complete awe of those that can write something and "self correct" rather than relying on either spell check or another person!!

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

I can't spell
and I'm a published author.

But then again,
I can't multiply
and I'm an accountant.

(Grinning)

It isn't about what you can do
but rather, whether you care enough to compensate
for your short falls.

I thought Allthingznew was female.
Why?
Because a man is less likely to use 'z' as a sub for 's'.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

This is hilarious. Up until now, in my head allthingznew was a guy. Up until a few weeks ago, yveskleisnky (talk about being hard to spell) was a guy. The reviewer was a gal in my head. For some reason though, ATW has never confused me.

Why the confusions- in my head guys tend to be more blunt which I find refreshing. I viewed allthingznew and yveskleisnsky as pretty blunt, so the fell into that category in my head.

The food critic used too many words to be a guy in my world view. My stereotypical guy response would be "the food sucked"

BTW- the most annoying thing about this thread is knowing how much everyone is looking for misspells. I am deliberately avoiding words I know I typically screw up just so I do not feel the wrath of Russ.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Perhaps I need to install a Gender Identifier in the postbit ... lots of people think Yves is a male and I didn't know AllThings was female. (Must have been the car in the avatar!)

I speculated the reviewer of the lemon chicken was male.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Perhaps I need to install a Gender Identifier in the postbit ... lots of people think Yves is a male and I didn't know AllThings was female. (Must have been the car in the avatar!)

I speculated the reviewer of the lemon chicken was male.
Really? I don't agree. What does gender have to do with financial/fastlane advice? It is the same reason I try not to focus on the age field that much, to avoid any bias I could have about it. If a 16 years old gives me advice that is good for me then great. Same thing if the advice comes from a man or a woman.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

I specuated the reviewer of the lemon chicken was male.

Notice how long I've been on the forum. I put the avatar on thinking we all should use cars as that was how it started. So I used a car that was my dream car when I was a kid. When people were surprised to find I was female I figured it was the car.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

Although I am clearly all woman,
(the NoLimitsLadies site gives that away)
I don't think we need a gender indicator.

Well, until we have a meet up.
I'll never forget Jscott (Gecko)'s goof
when I introduced myself
and he expected an Asian Kimber
(I married into Chin).
Priceless (and blackmail worthy).

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

Notice how long I've been on the forum. I put the avatar on thinking we all should use cars as that was how it started. So I used a car that was my dream car when I was a kid. When people were surprised to find I was female I figured it was the car.
Yep, it was the car that threw me off!

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

still wrapping my head around this, I was sure you were a guy.

I don't want to start a war here or get anyone up in arms so mods feel free to delete this if it goes tilt. (and Russ I have a new found freedom knowing you will take care of any grammar and spelling errors :banana:) I would start a new thread but it seems to lose relevance w/o some of the preceding posts, but you can move it if you want.

We know it doesn't matter to most here who's what gender, race or whatever and all that... everyone here is quite accepting and open.

K. This is not directed at Kurt, it's for anyone, he just made me go hmm. How differently might you read what I write now? How differently might you respond? Ok let's change that and not make it personal to me or you just tying to get us on the same page.

Isn't it a fact that we all see things through our own "filters" whether we realize it or not? We all try to be fair and equal and politically correct, but we all know there are differences between genders, cultures etc and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, right? Statistically men are better at some things and women better at other things, yes there are exceptions, but it's just the way we're built. That's where the uniqueness and beauty come from!

But I do think whether we're conscious of it or not, we use different filters when we're relating.

Thoughts?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

I don't want to start a war here or get anyone up in arms so mods feel free to delete this if it goes tilt. (and Russ I have a new found freedom knowing you will take care of any grammar and spelling errors :banana:) I would start a new thread but it seems to lose relevance w/o some of the preceding posts, but you can move it if you want.

We know it doesn't matter to most here who's what gender, race or whatever and all that... everyone here is quite accepting and open.

K. This is not directed at Kurt, it's for anyone, he just made me go hmm. How differently might you read what I write now? How differently might you respond? Ok let's change that and not make it personal to me or you just tying to get us on the same page.

Isn't it a fact that we all see things through our own "filters" whether we realize it or not? We all try to be fair and equal and politically correct, but we all know there are differences between genders, cultures etc and they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, right? Statistically men are better at some things and women better at other things, yes there are exceptions, but it's just the way we're built. That's where the uniqueness and beauty come from!

But I do think whether we're conscious of it or not, we use different filters when we're relating.

Thoughts?
I respect everybody's words equally. Honestly, though, I probably do think about things differently depending on where I hear it from -- either consciously or unconsciously.

I don't mean anything by it, though. I just think it helps to understand things when you realize where the person speaking is coming from.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

I don't mean anything by it, though. I just think it helps to understand things when you realize where the person speaking is coming from.

Yes, this is the kind of thing I'm getting at here.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Well, it is important that you do care who it is coming from, but only because of past experience. I obviously will hold on higher way a comment from Russ if the topic is about making a plan, rehabs, or B&Bs than if it comes from MJ. The opposite would hold true if the topic is internet businesses.

But I do try to isolate gender and age from the substance of the advice/comment because I do know I have filters and will hold things differently depending in who says what. Do I think that is right? NO. Do I wish it were different and am I working on improving it? YES. Something I've learned is that stereotypes do not always hold true, especially in this forum. Success is worth following and emulating. Subjectivity is part of who we are, isn't it?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Re: Does the Author of the Post Change the Way You Receive the In

I'm going to change my avatar to a picture of a woman and see how many people think I'm female. :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to change my avatar to a picture of a woman and see how many people think I'm female. :)

Maybe you could change your name to 24tea. :smx4:

(inside joke)

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

Thoughts?

For me it does not effect how the message is recieved. I just find it interesting when my assumptions are proven wrong. One of my favorite things is to find out my assumptions on something were wrong. This forces me to evaluate why I assumed what I did and follow the logic breakdown.

From either gender, I am still a student waiting to learn.

btw Russ, was there any clue in the name of the reviewer which will solve this mystery?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Maybe you could chang your name to 24tea. :smx4:

(inside joke)
lol
:rofl::rofl::D:rofl::rofl:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

Very cool thread.

In public I tend to treat women differently then men. I treat them with far more respect. Just my upbringing. Don't think I would change that if I could.

On a forum, I really don't think about it much. I'm more interested in what the poster has to say, especially on this forum.

When I read an article that has a lot of gender tones to it, I take notice. To be honest I really don't like when authors do that. I could care less if you are female or male. I care about the subject.

Allthingznew,
I did think male. I apologize for that.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

Very cool thread.

In public I tend to treat women differently then men. I treat them with far more respect. Just my upbringing. Don't think I would change that if I could.

On a forum, I really don't think about it much. I'm more interested in what the poster has to say, especially on this forum.

When I read an article that has a lot of gender tones to it, I take notice. To be honest I really don't like when authors do that. I could care less if you are female or male. I care about the subject.

Allthingznew,
I did think male. I apologize for that.

No need for apology. I'm just finding the whole concept very interesting.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

btw Russ, was there any clue in the name of the reviewer which will solve this mystery?

Nope. Sorry.

I have the same problem w/the posters on the TripAdvisor forums-- have assumed them to be male-- or female-- in the past, and have been wrong on both counts. :smx4:

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.