The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone need anything?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My employee is off working. I've got things rolling along and I need something to do. Is anyone building up their business that wants some marketing/sales help? Anyone need some ideas? Anyone need some resources?

Let me know. No charge. Just looking to help if you're looking for it but don't want to put up a post about it. I've got nothing to do for most of the day for a couple of weeks and I'd like to do something productive to keep my mind going so I don't pick up any wasteful habits with my free time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheFox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 1, 2019
My employee is off working. I've got things rolling along and I need something to do. Is anyone building up their business that wants some marketing/sales help? Anyone need some ideas? Anyone need some resources?

Let me know. No charge. Just looking to help if you're looking for it but don't want to put up a post about it. I've got nothing to do for most of the day for a couple of weeks and I'd like to do something productive to keep my mind going so I don't pick up any wasteful habits with my free time.

Hi Johny boy. I'm building my accountability coaching business and I would love to pick your brain how you would market it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi Johny boy. I'm building my accountability coaching business and I would love to pick your brain how you would market it.

Let’s start with the monetization side. You do the coaching yourself? How does it work? Explain the sales pitch to me. Then we can move into the attention side of the business and how you get people into your “funnel”.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi, I recently wrote a thread about my business idea,I'd appreciate it if you check it!
PLATFORM FOR AGRICULTURAL HOLDINGS

These people aren't going online so how the hell are they going to find your site?

They are dinosaurs. They will get old, die, and when people with an understanding of technology take over the agricultural industry in your area, they'll all use indeed to hire people and your service won't be needed.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Web Marketing Consulting business (sole proprietorship), focused on content creation, editorial calendars, managing a community, etc.

Most customers are recently-founded or brand new businesses.

Selling coaching in stacks of 1, 3, 6 or 9 hours (hours are scheduled one by one, most often after one coaching session is done we book the next one).
Also sellings ebooks (they don't really sell though).
Got multiple newsletters going on, about 2000 people.

Running a 23K members female entrepreneur group on FB, selling ads on the group (weekly) at ~$150/week.

I feel like we could sell WAY MORE (currently expecting ~$30K for 2019), we're charging ~100 USD/hr for consulting.

We're providing value non-stop. Participating in the group a lot too, but we're trying not to spam the group (considering we do not allow others to advertise their business either, unless they bought an ad).

Any tips on scaling ? Girlfriend (owner) is not keen on hiring/contracting yet as she feels the business is not big enough. I believe she could scale faster if someone else would take care of some things by following a SOP.

I adjusted pricing to USD, remember we're in Canada, about 35% fiat value drop --> USD$30K = CAD$40K)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Alright, given that you're bored, let's throw some ideas around. I jot down a bunch of business ideas all the time, but rather than to hoard them deep in my notes somewhere they may never see the light of day, I'd much rather share them with others. If anything, we can poke holes at where it couldn't work and shoot it down. If it has real merits, somebody out there can potentially benefit from this. Which is still better than these ideas dying alone in the notebooks.

Here's one I've been thinking about, but I can't fully get the story to hold. Let's chat about it and see if it has any legs.

In a nutshell, this is an App that would connect workout buddies. There's an idea like this out there called Gymder, but this model differs from it. It's about connecting people that workout frequently with beginners at prices cheaper than typical personal training. Let's call the fit person the "Bro", and the beginner, let's call him the "Noob". The Bro works out every day/other day anyway. He could buddy-up with a Noob doing his normal workouts, for a small extra cost the Noob brings to the table. Noob pays for a Bro friend at the gym and learns from his workouts, and the Bro gets a nice bone thrown his way without having to change his current plans, he works out every day anyway. Noob jumps in on machine doing the same exercises while Bro is resting, and they rotate as 1-1 gym buddies. Ok, I think this explains the idea.

Now for the revenue model: ideally, your platform would also serve to schedule the Noob and the Bros time together, which would provide a degree of control and management of the services rendered. In this position, you could command a percentage of all hours/bro sessions booked. This is impractical, because what's to hold the Bro and the Noob from making their own arrangements after they link up once? Unless the percentage is low enough that the added convenience of scheduling through this app is worth the whatever percentage you're asking.

Another way to possible extract value would be to charge a service fee for each connection. This service fee would be paid from the Bro's first session with the Noob. This is the convenience or finder's fee for connecting the Noob and the Bro. whatever arrangement they make beyond that is theirs.

How/what else could be done here? Just having fun with this idea - but I really like the sound of connecting these two groups. The fit dude is super passionate, and can genuinely help a noob for cheap, and there's endless Bros and Noobs out there.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Web Marketing Consulting business (sole proprietorship), focused on content creation, editorial calendars, managing a community, etc.

Most customers are recently-founded or brand new businesses.

Selling coaching in stacks of 1, 3, 6 or 9 hours (hours are scheduled one by one, most often after one coaching session is done we book the next one).
Also sellings ebooks (they don't really sell though).
Got multiple newsletters going on, about 2000 people.

Running a 23K members female entrepreneur group on FB, selling ads on the group (weekly) at ~$150/week.

I feel like we could sell WAY MORE (currently expecting ~$30K for 2019), we're charging ~100 USD/hr for consulting.

We're providing value non-stop. Participating in the group a lot too, but we're trying not to spam the group (considering we do not allow others to advertise their business either, unless they bought an ad).

Any tips on scaling ? Girlfriend (owner) is not keen on hiring/contracting yet as she feels the business is not big enough. I believe she could scale faster if someone else would take care of some things by following a SOP.

I adjusted pricing to USD, remember we're in Canada, about 35% fiat value drop --> USD$30K = CAD$40K)

Are you getting the consulting work from that facebook group? Or from somewhere else?

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
These people aren't going online so how the hell are they going to find your site?

They are dinosaurs. They will get old, die, and when people with an understanding of technology take over the agricultural industry in your area, they'll all use indeed to hire people and your service won't be needed.

Yes, but there are also young person, maybe this project could create a cooperation between city and become a reference point in my area.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Johnny, what would you tell a novice about early-stage validation and landing pages?

D

Deleted50669

I need help optimizing my cloud hosting costs. Jk, I don't want anyone else to suffer this lol

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Alright, given that you're bored, let's throw some ideas around. I jot down a bunch of business ideas all the time, but rather than to hoard them deep in my notes somewhere they may never see the light of day, I'd much rather share them with others. If anything, we can poke holes at where it couldn't work and shoot it down. If it has real merits, somebody out there can potentially benefit from this. Which is still better than these ideas dying alone in the notebooks.

Here's one I've been thinking about, but I can't fully get the story to hold. Let's chat about it and see if it has any legs.

In a nutshell, this is an App that would connect workout buddies. There's an idea like this out there called Gymder, but this model differs from it. It's about connecting people that workout frequently with beginners at prices cheaper than typical personal training. Let's call the fit person the "Bro", and the beginner, let's call him the "Noob". The Bro works out every day/other day anyway. He could buddy-up with a Noob doing his normal workouts, for a small extra cost the Noob brings to the table. Noob pays for a Bro friend at the gym and learns from his workouts, and the Bro gets a nice bone thrown his way without having to change his current plans, he works out every day anyway. Noob jumps in on machine doing the same exercises while Bro is resting, and they rotate as 1-1 gym buddies. Ok, I think this explains the idea.

Now for the revenue model: ideally, your platform would also serve to schedule the Noob and the Bros time together, which would provide a degree of control and management of the services rendered. In this position, you could command a percentage of all hours/bro sessions booked. This is impractical, because what's to hold the Bro and the Noob from making their own arrangements after they link up once? Unless the percentage is low enough that the added convenience of scheduling through this app is worth the whatever percentage you're asking.

Another way to possible extract value would be to charge a service fee for each connection. This service fee would be paid from the Bro's first session with the Noob. This is the convenience or finder's fee for connecting the Noob and the Bro. whatever arrangement they make beyond that is theirs.

How/what else could be done here? Just having fun with this idea - but I really like the sound of connecting these two groups. The fit dude is super passionate, and can genuinely help a noob for cheap, and there's endless Bros and Noobs out there.

advertise as a personal training service, create some made up personal training qualification and give it to people who sign up with your company as the trainers, have a subscription service that they pay via credit card to you for and take a fee off the top, but make any refunds come out of the trainer's income since it's their responsibility to keep customers happy.

why make it cheap? make it profitable as hell. I love the idea.

Make it and be the "personal trainer" yourself to try it out. Make a website with a solid one-page layout, advertise on craigslist making it look like a personal training platform to find great trainers in their area, hook them up with the best personal trainer out there (you, lol) and then get busy seeing it yourself where potential problems might come up. Then, get the app made. Hire on a wannabe personal trainer and give them your "certification" and get them clients. Make it a low effort thing that any gym bro can sign up for. "Dude, did you hear you can get paid to go to the gym and help people that suck at lifting?" "Holy shit bro, that sounds sick! What's the app called??" And that's how you grow it.

Then, your trainers sign contracts when they sign up (terms and conditions), and your customers pay for subscriptions so the money goes straight to you and then to the trainers (bros).

You'll need an app, two websites (one for your app and another for the "certification" that your trainers have) and that's all. Start with being the trainer yourself and this could be a mini uber-type business that brings in a few million.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yes, but there are also young person, maybe this project could create a cooperation between city and become a reference point in my area.
anyone who needs to find workers goes on craigslist or indeed or any other job site. I must be missing something because I don't see how it helps anyone.

LittleMissFancy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 8, 2014
Hi JohnnyBoy,

I'm in the infancy stages as the single salesperson for my B2B company that provides value to businesses by way of savings them on recurring expenses by way of utilizing our product ,think along the lines of saving on monthly phone or internet . Forgive the purposeful vagueness, hopefully you are still able to lend some advice and thoughts :)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Johnny, what would you tell a novice about early-stage validation and landing pages?

Yes. Do it...

Validate the idea and have a landing page.

Are you asking how to do it or how to make a landing page? Depends on the industry and what you'll be doing for your business.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi JohnnyBoy,

I'm in the infancy stages as the single salesperson for my B2B company that provides value to businesses by way of savings them on recurring expenses by way of utilizing our product ,think along the lines of saving on monthly phone or internet . Forgive the purposeful vagueness, hopefully you are still able to lend some advice and thoughts :)

so...trim?

It's a bot that negotiates lower bills for free.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark
I'm about to do some old fashioned direct marketing, but wants to keep track of the sales data. How do i go about that the easiest way?

I'm in the steam cleaning car wash industry - in many ways similar to your lawn care company. What kind of valuable content can i produce - in this aspect my biggest inspiration is saltybae who makes it sexy to be a butcher. Look him up ;-)

Thanks.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I'm co founding a local soccer club under a 501c3. We're talking to local bars to sponsor us, in exchange for bringing in people after the game.

We're still brainstorming other ways to get donations.

Thoughts?

Conrad

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 17, 2017
Brussels
Go ask small local businesses in your neighbourhood to help for free marketing. Say "I will make all the computer work, I will show you everything you need in the future- here is the cost of printing, I just need to build more experience". You will be surprised. Everybody needs marketing, but most of all: people who don't know how to use a computer. For example: your local bakery, car mechanic, local grocery store.... These people NEED marketing help for cheap. These are people who can NOT use Microsoft Paint.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Your company is location dependent which means your primary focus should be getting attention locally. Your company needs to become locally famous.

I’ve posted about how local business can advertise for free by hosting a party and getting other businesses to pay for it.

Go to the local venue that can hold 200-500 people and get a quote for an event.

Go to local businesses and tell them you’ll get them 200 people to meet with and advertise to for an evening, getting them local exposure. Get them to pay you $100-$200 or so. Get enough businesses to cover the cost.

Go to every church, school, etc. and advertise a free community celebration with food and music.

Pay for the event with the money from local businesses. Advertise your own business for free and be locally known as the party guy who has a steam cleaning car wash business.

Then, host a podcast and invite local influencers on your show to talk about all things in your area, chop up the content into short videos and have them post it on their Instagram pages and you’ll post the content on yours. You’ll get them more attention as well as siphon off a bit of their local audience members and you’ll get free advertising that way.

Make sure you’ve got a “google my business” listing on the maps section.

Make sure you’re on craigslist.

I would get a phone list and send ringless voicemails to all of the phone number in my town and it costs like 6 cents a message. Totally worth it.

I wouldn’t waste a dime on mailing out postcards or that stuff.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I'm co founding a local soccer club under a 501c3. We're talking to local bars to sponsor us, in exchange for bringing in people after the game.

We're still brainstorming other ways to get donations.

Thoughts?

Try out the local party idea as well except mark it up a bit and get more businesses to come so you can actually take some money for the non profit.

Go to businesses and ask people for donations to raffle off and they can buy sponsorships for sign space on the field or something.

My old college baseball team raised like 30,000 in one night from a dinner and auction. That was a community college.

LittleMissFancy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 8, 2014
so...trim?

It's a bot that negotiates lower bills for free.
Haha, I realize the difficulty in asking for suggestions without being willing to completely divulge the exact nature of the business. Let me try to be more creative..my business sells a one time product that allows the user to realize recurring savings, kinda like the old scramblers cable boxes from the 90's only completely legal :)

Dieriba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 26, 2019
Hey,
Jhonny as a starter I’d like to raise money to start my journey and I was wondering how would you do that knowing that you literally have nothing, what advice can you give me , I already had answer about it but it’s good to have different answers

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
anyone who needs to find workers goes on craigslist or indeed or any other job site. I must be missing something because I don't see how it helps anyone.

While I agree, this is probably a country that does not use Craigslist or Indeed. Why does it not use Craigslist or Indeed? Because in the posters own thread, he/she says it is a country where technology is behind. This is a PERFECT example of why this site should make the profile AT LEAST tell the country a poster is in. If they don't choose to put their country, they can be a lurker until they choose to tell us what country they are in. Not just this poster but LOTS of posters.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
While I agree, this is probably a country that does not use Craigslist or Indeed. Why does it not use Craigslist or Indeed? Because in the posters own thread, he/she says it is a country where technology is behind. This is a PERFECT example of why this site should make the profile AT LEAST tell the country a poster is in. If they don't choose to put their country, they can be a lurker until they choose to tell us what country they are in. Not just this poster but LOTS of posters.
Sorry but I don't understand what do you mean. I only asked for an hand, I don't have an ulterior motive. From my point of view, the fact that people in the city where I born are not in step with technology, is a point in favor to my idea, is a lack that I could fill. But this doesn't mean that these people doesn't know Internet or what a PC is, but they don't know website such Indeed yet.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Sorry but I don't understand what do you mean. I only asked for an hand, I don't have an ulterior motive. From my point of view, the fact that people in the city where I born are not in step with technology, is a point in favor to my idea, is a lack that I could fill. But this doesn't mean that these people doesn't know Internet or what a PC is, but they don't know website such Indeed yet.
Where are you then?

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Bari, in the south of Italy near Taranto

I don’t know much about Italian agriculture but here’s all I can say.

If you want to start a job finding website for your area, make it like the popular ones in America. That will be very hard so I hope you’ve got some really good developing skills.

Also, if these farmers are not on the internet often, they won’t start now unless you first tell them in person to go to your website or something.

I don’t know how badly they need a service like what you’re saying since I have no idea about that market.

With that said, you know 100x more than I do about that market so I would say to just trust your gut. I’m not very helpful in that scenario

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.